Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Jackets Recommendations

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
All it needs is a beltback, a 3rd button, and a closeable collar for the rain and it'd be about perfect. I s'pose you could cannibalize those elbow patches. No, I won't dig the elbow patches.

Good luck with the search Phil. I know how tough it can be fitting into an inbetween size.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Used to have the same problem- but the new Victoria falls jacket fits very well. Also, the color is more a light brown than the standard sand colored khaki... worth a look...

portolan

A-List Customer
Victoria Falls Jacket from Peterman

Hi:

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I really like that Victoria Falls jacket. That might work because it actually is sized, not just s-m-l etc....My best size for a sports coat is a 41R. The jacket comes in 40 and 42. Does anyone know if it runs large or small? My instinct would be to buy the 40. I have short arms 32-33 inches and 42 usually is too long in the sleeve.

Thanks for the help. This looks like a great jacket.

I have bought several of the Duluth Trading jackets and to my frustration none has ever come close to fitting. The mediums are too small and the larges too big....very frustrating... Thanks again.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Dear Portolan... re sizing...

I've found the J. Peterman sizes to run small- plus, the Victoria Falls jacket is cotton- I'd order one size larger than what you think you need... give it a shot and see what you think. If you snag it, be sure and report back...

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Portolan,
The other option of course is to find a good tailor or seamstress in your Florida location and have your jackets tailored properly to fit you. It's not cheap, but with you being between sizes, it's going to be the only way.
I often have to do this for my monkey arms and upper vs lower torso variance....

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Flitcraft said:
Try www.travelsmith.com as well... they often have sales...

I personally have not had much luck with TravelSmith. Their clothing looks good in the catalog, but I have not been happy with anything I have received from them. I purchased a jacket, a pair of pants and a hat while my wife bought a blouse and skirt. It was all cheaply made and a half size smaller than advertised. It may have been a problem with the few items we purchased at the time, but as a rule we no longer buy from them.

portolan

A-List Customer
I finally settled on Victoria Falls Jacket only to discover....

that they only have two sizes left! I guess they aren't making it anymore. Bummer....this is harder than I had thought! Back to the drawing board!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
chucklehead said:
how about an M43?

That'd make a nice travel jacket, though more casual than some of the other jackets in this thread. I love throwing on my M43 and heading out on an adventure.

An M41 could also make a decent travel jacket. Not as many pockets (2) but it does have a belted and bi-swing back. And it looks great too.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
What about this?...

Currently on sale...

Linen Safari Jacket (No. 1633), urbane brother to the one worn in the veldt. Soft, rich linen instead of cotton poplin. Four expanding pockets (9" x 7" max.), including button-flap chest pockets. Removable epaulets. Adjustable cuffs, roll-up sleeves with stay-put button tabs. Straight hem.
Good for expeditions through Venice, Tribeca, Park City, and darkest Beverly Hills.
Men’s sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL. Colors: Brown, Moss. Price: $149. Sale: $99.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner