Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Andykev said:
But I did find (as I posted earlier) a dead ringer for Bogart's raincoat..at Nordstroms...their RACK. It was under $100. It also was a LONDON FOG. .I agree with MK that you can't go wrong with that maker. I quite honestly couldn't pull off the look. It did not really look good on me..and well, my wife was with me...so you know sometimes how that goes:eek:

I haven't gotten to the end of this thread so it may show up, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the material. I'm sure the original was all cotton. Today Brooks Brothers makes an all cotton one (although it is sans gun flap). Burberry markets a made in the US cotton polyester blends without gun flap, and a UK made, all cotton one with gun flap. I love the looks of the UK Burberry, but it sells for $1450 which is a ridiculous for a cotton product.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me and mine..

DSC_129.jpg

-dixon cannon

carebear

Jovan said:
Regarding the belt, I think people just tie it when they want to throw it on quickly and get to the car. After all, that's what rain coats are for. ;)

Also, if the first experience with the trench was wear as an issue item in the service, where typically all buttons/snaps/zippers etc. must be fastened if a garment is worn per regulations, the first thing I'm going to do when I'm out is NOT fasten it the way I HAD to for those years.

Like growing your hair back out, even if it's just a half an inch. A bit more casual, a bit cooler, a bit of grown-up subconscious rebellion.

fishmeok

Vendor
Reading this thread made me go dig out my Burberry- I've had it for years, and rarely worn it. It must be English as the tag says it's a size 58. It has the button in liner, but unfortunately someone's dog must have chewed it in two spots- nothing I can't fix though.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN2688.jpg
DSCN2689.jpg

DSCN2697.jpg
DSCN2698.jpg

classyguy

Familiar Face
The Trench Collar Flip

Hi All,

I have a trench coat (as well as an overcoat and raincoat), however, am not sure whether to flip up my collar or to keep it down. . .i'm thinking about the James Dean look. . .his was flipped up 90 percent of the time.

How many of you flip up your callars?

Weather I flip up my callar or not I'll get the same amount of looks seeing as im an 18 year old wearing a trench in a town were not even the older adults wear them.

Any help would be appreciated.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't wear a trench--especially if the weather warrants it. Anyway, wear the collar up or down as the need or your personal style dictates. And welcome to the madness here at the old FL!

TCameron

Familiar Face
Well, I have always welcomed a collar in the up position, so long as it is not a polo or dress shirt. It also depends on what the weather dictates, as well as your mood. I know with my trench, if it is just raining or drizzling lightly, I will keep it down. If the rain grows harder and is accompanied by wind, then you are totally justified to place your collar up. I know there may be disagreements with this stance, but that's just my humble opinion. Cheers,

T

Jay

Practically Family
I flip up the collar of my trenchcoat every time I wear it. Somehow it doesn't seem to look right without it. I blame Bogie...

carebear

Heck, when it's cold or wet I flip my suit jacket collar.

Trenches and overcoats are not fashion first, they are outerwear.

Weather conditions should determine how the collar is worn.

In one of the first threads I read when I first got on the Lounge, Deckard (if I remember correctly, maybe Hem) pointed out that even suit coats were worn for warmth and weather protection. The idea of "suit as primarily fashion" is a fairly new invention following central heat and air.

That's why I don't feel bad about keeping stuff in my pockets (though I try not to have lumps) and adjust my collars as conditions demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy