Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Blood Season 4 Episode 1

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just reluctantly watched season 3 and I have to say I thought it was pretty gross. Ive always said that show is so much better when there are no vampires in it, and most of the storylines with the least vampires were the strongest. To me the strongest storylines are were the Lafyette and Tera ones, with Sam's a near third, though Im glad they got rid of the parents. With the acceptation of Jason's whose storyline was just laughable. Introducing the wiccan waitress was quite interesting. I hope they continue with that thread of characters, and with Lafyette's boyfriend being a cast member, and a witch, I think they will.

It's really hard to totally like a show when you want to constantly punch the main character in the face because she is always getting in her own way.

I never, ever thought I would say this ever in my life, but there were way too many naked men in the show. I also don't know what it is with modern Hollywood and completely wussifying the werewolf legend, but I absolutely hated what they did with werewolves in this show. I blame the movie Underworld for all of it.

LD

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I'm a huge fan of True Blood and the books it's based on. The link you posted- I don't know if that's your blog or not, but you cannot legally obtain the season premiere online the night it premieres unless HBO Go has decided to show it. Just fyi.

That said, I discuss True Blood pretty extensively on two other forums, so I probably won't here, but I do look forward to it a great deal, even when it's really irritating me. lol

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I do quite like the series, which is arguably better than the books, but I also admit to feeling like strangling Sookie. I really only watch it for Eric Northman. Let's have more Eric and less Sookie!

Gene

Practically Family
Having never read any of the books before, I thought that season 1 was awesome! Having lived in the dirty south myself I loved the atmosphere, sets, characters, everything...I don't think I've seen a show that created such a mood before by using natural surroundings other than Twin Peaks.

Season 2 got kind of goofy, but I still enjoyed it. By the time Nazi werewolves got involved in 3, I quit watching. I'll still go back and watch the first 2, but I'm done (again, much like Twin Peaks after the Laura Palmer murder was solved).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's kind of how I felt, Gene. I couldn't tell if it was being that corny as a joke or as some sort of ironic humor thing. In any account it was dumb.

Im from Louisville too! Newburg :D

LD

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That's kind of how I felt, Gene. I couldn't tell if it was being that corny as a joke or as some sort of ironic humor thing. In any account it was dumb.

That's what I liked about it, actually... I really didn't care for Scream for the simple reason that it was far too "wink to camera, look, we're being clever" - I prefer it played a bit more straight than that. I do suspect you're watching the wrong show if you're not a fan of the vampires, though... ;) I haven't yet seen more than an episode of the third series. I did enjoy the first two, though. I do much prefer the books (except for - SPOILER ALERT - I'm still not wholly convinced by Sookie's relationship with Eric). That said, the TV show has done some nice things. I enjoyed the whole Church of the Sun hoo hah: for a mainstream television show, they dealt with the 'vamps as gay parallel' really well. It was also nice to see Hoyt used to portray 'normal' religious folks instead of the same old 'all the religious folks are crazies'. Jessica, as an invented character in the TV show who doesn't appear in the books, is great, I really like what they have done with her.

Edward

Bartender
Oh yeah... and, Lady Day, I agree with you entirely about there being altogether too much sex. That's the one thing I dislike about the show, really. In this day and age there's nothing revolutionary or shocking or clever about it - after all, if that's all we wanted to see, we could see the "real thing", on the internet, for free. I know this is HBO and so it's the house style and everything, but really...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I do suspect you're watching the wrong show if you're not a fan of the vampires, though... ;)

Nope. There are some stellar secondary characters in that show. Sam, Arleen, Lafyette, Tera, the police, etc. I've seriously muted a lot of the vamp sequences. They are just so overly angst its revolting. Actually I gave up season 2 because I really didn't want to just follow my two favorite characters, Hoyt and Sam. The show does a lot of what I loathe about shows, they change the logic of the world at whim in order to advance the plot.

It's not a very well written show, I guess thats why there is so much to talk about. You can totally see a lot of potential but its either glossed over or drenched in sex. That gets so old.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav