Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to accurately date a G-1 – is it possible?

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an early contract Cagleco Sportwear G-1 which apart from a couple of tiny moth nips in the waistband is a minter. Ever since I foolishly traded my 1950s California Sportswear 4 years ago, I have been on the hunt for an early contract size 46 and finally came up trumps.

The details are as follows:

MIL-J-7823(AER)

Contract No. N383-28657A

What I do know is that the G-1 7823 came about in 1950 just after the j5514? which superseded the M422a in 1947? – [please correct me if I am wrong.

I also found out that Cagleco were awarded a US Navy contract for some 13,000 jackets in 1955. This may be one of those as there is no letter code after 7823 or, as i have seen on some others, after N383.

I have seen a few labels with this designation but the last six digits have always been a higher number. Cagleco jackets are fairly common place and they obviously made thousands of jackets but it would be good to know if this is a first contract.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bobbyball said:
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an early contract Cagleco Sportwear G-1 which apart from a couple of tiny moth nips in the waistband is a minter. Ever since I foolishly traded my 1950s California Sportswear 4 years ago, I have been on the hunt for an early contract size 46 and finally came up trumps.

The details are as follows:

MIL-J-7823(AER)

Contract No. N383-28657A

What I do know is that the G-1 7823 came about in 1950 just after the j5514? which superseded the M422a in 1947? – [please correct me if I am wrong.

I also found out that Cagleco were awarded a US Navy contract for some 13,000 jackets in 1955. This may be one of those as there is no letter code after 7823 or, as i have seen on some others, after N383.

I have seen a few labels with this designation but the last six digits have always been a higher number. Cagleco jackets are fairly common place and they obviously made thousands of jackets but it would be good to know if this is a first contract.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Bob,

Cagleco had six known contracts for the G-1 jacket. The company changed it's name around 1958 to Ralph Edwards. Your contract I believe was their first and dates from the early 1950s. Do you have any pics of your jacket to post on the forum?

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Granted, Cags are abundant, but they are one of my favorite fitting G-1s. The last one I had was heavily patched and I didn't feel good wearing it and ended up selling it. I'd like to grab a nice mint one in a 38 someday but it's low on my list at the moment. Yes, some pics would be fantastic.

CIMG3754.jpg

CIMG3755.jpg

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Thanks chaps,

I knew I was on the right lines but wanted another opinion. I didn’t know that the firm eventually became Ralph Edwards though.

For some reason I have trouble posting pictures – never been able to do it. Will try again though when I get to take some shots.

I was looking at the jacket very carefully again last night. There are tiny (nail head) size white spots at the corners of each pocket and underneath the buttons on the collar – cutter marks I believe.

It is as I said earlier an absolute mint, almost unworn, jacket with only three moth nips which were easily repaired last night. The knits however are all tight, the spec label looks new, the mouton is perfect.

It is very similar to my California Sportswear G1 which I should NEVER have sold – slightly better fit as the jacket/arms are a bit shorter and I would say the goat is better quality and noticeably heavier than the California. It even has a size 46 woven label underneath the pocket flap the same as the Cal.

I hardly ever find big sizes of these early jackets – I would say it is much truer to a size 44 – snug at the waist but plenty of room in the chest/shoulder but not baggy.

This I intend to keep forever! (however long that this!!)

Bob

Peacoat

Bartender
To post photos, you will need to use Photobucket or other remote server. Use the "IMG" code option to copy and paste to your message at the end of the text--if that is where you want your picture to be.

fraazierjo

New in Town
G1 dating

This beautiful little G1 looks almost exactly like the one I have. It was worn by a pilot from the 542 Marine Allweather (and All Leather!) Fighter Squadron in Korea and Nam. All the patches and leather in great condition. Korean coins as zipper tag - typical touch.

CBI

One Too Many
California Sportswear made G-1's in 1960 - only that one year. I have 2 and they are my fav G-1's. Great fit and color. They run large, nice a roomy with being too baggy or too thin however, they are known for zippers that are not the best. No truoble with mine so far.

Burnsie

My Pop's G-1 is a Cagleco MIL-J-7823 (AER) and his first flight log book indicates it was issued to him in June of 1959 if that helps - No idea if it was reissued to him or what so it may be older than that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925