Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Trying To Be Charlie Sheen"

sinatra66

New in Town
Hello all,

i've made a intro months ago when i joined your fasinating group. Unfortunately i don't/can't get on as much and become a regular. Any way hello again.

Let me first say a bit about what i do. I love the 50's/60's leisure style. Think i picked it up from watching "From Here To Eternity" and (love James Jones's novels) the book and movie. So any way i like square cut sports/Hawaiian shirts with pleated/cuffed trousers... oh and fedoras. Should note i use modern trousers and get them tailored to what was in style around here in the 50's. That would be pleated baggy slight stove pipe from knee down and 2" cuff.

So a pal of mine says I'm trying to be Charlie Sheen? If that was the case, I can think of several tv shows that pre date his old show (News Radio "Mathew", Sienfeld "Kramer") Krammer is the look i sort of have, but not clownish and with a hat, curvex ect. Besides I've collected originals and new remakes way befor 2&1/2 men.

Think it bothered me because, when i started i would get up early and scower second hand shops to get shirts. Traveling across the city hitting as many second hand stores i new of. Besides that i get intrested in things. I read and ask until i have a picture of what i should look like. Other intrests were cuff links, 40's tie's, some military stuff pertaining to my time in (mid 80's/90"s).

I feel i'm getting cantankerous in my old age, am I?

Metatron

One Too Many
Don't sweat it- I got compared to Hitler because I sport a short back and sides. They are silly off handed comments by people who just associate the look with the one person they know who also sported it. Ergo- your mate has only ever seen that kind of shirt on Charlie Sheen.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, how old is your friend? Because if he's young, Sheen's Two and a Half Men may be his only reference, and if he's old(er) he may be senile or just didn't pay attention in school.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
In this global and mainstreamed world people are more and more unable to distinguish styles or designs at all. When I started to wear a traveler hat (fedora) people called me "Indy". Now I wear a Christy´s Indy hat (grey clipper scene hat) and people ask me if I go to Tyrolia or call me "cowboy"! :eusa_doh: I also often wear a Barbour wax jacket and a newsboy cap and people say I do look like a "frenchy". Never mind what people say, they don´t have a clue.... [huh]

Espee

Practically Family
I was wearing a Panama and a guy said, "Oh, a derby hat! Like Al Capone and the gangsters used to wear..."
From there he went on, to Capone's VD!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The funniest compliment was from a lady at the airport. I was wearing what you see in my avatar, and she said, "My, you look like a priest. You stand so tall. Like the days we old people remember..."

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I am glad Charlie doen't wear Da Vinci's on TV any more as the prices for them is falling on the Bay. I love the design and comfort of the Da Vinci shirt. People alway's try to pigeon hole you as a person as it makes it easy for them to go thru the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner