Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to compile info on vintage suits

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
After a little hiatus from checking the message board here at the FL, I've now got some of my own time back!

Some time ago, I wanted to start compiling information on the various aspects of vintage suits that date the piece, or that someone can use to take to a tailor. There's seems to be a lot of good information spread around the internet, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to find if you don't know quite what you're looking for.

I created a website to aggregate all the information I'm digging up and wondered if the great folks here on the FL would like to contribute photos of their suits or short "lapels that look like this probably date to 19xx" type of content? The forum software I'm using allows you to attach files to posts, so you wouldn't have to worry about externally hosting the photos (and they could be saved for posterity). It also supports RSS, so you can keep track of what's being posted a little easier than having to remember to check the message board.

The idea behind this was that someone who's just getting started looking for vintage suits could go to one place and get a basic education on the important sartorial aspects you need to know before you go bidding wildly on eBay. Enthusiasts could also post links to eBay auctions they're considering bidding on (but eBay sellers can't post links to promote their own auctions) and hopefully, folks can help them by telling them to stay away or wish them good luck on the find.

The "Essential Elements" section of "Sartorial Advice" is the place I'm going to start posting pictures of my own vintage suits. I don't have very many yet, though, and I know there are some folks on the FL that have closets overflowing with vintage. It would be great to put all this information in one easy-to-find place that anyone typing "belted-back jacket" into Google could find.

Please let me know if you'd like to help with photos or content.

http://vintage.jbrisbin.com

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
MK said:
I am not sure of the point. We already have all that here.

The idea is NOT to "compete" with the FL. There's no competition to the active community here. The idea is to put the majority of the information accessible from page one of the website, make it indexable by Google (the FL doesn't start showing up until page 5 of a Google search for "vintage suit"), have RSS support (so you don't have to come to the board to track discussions), allow links to live eBay auctions so folks can bid smarter by soliciting input before they spend the money, and make the photos and basic information more easily accessible.

I've just been frustrated at times trying to find what I'm looking for here. There are so many posts, it can be quite time consuming if you're trying to learn (and not simply keep up with discussions). MyBB supports tags and RSS and allows you to attach photos (so you don't have to worry about external hosting and the pictures won't go away if you do...but you can always host the pictures yourself if you prefer that).

It's only a forum and not a blog because the forum software will make it easy to post content. I'm going to be adding content myself, but wanted to make sure it's open enough that anyone that wants to contribute should feel welcome to.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
With Ask Andy, Style Forum, dandyism.net, the London Lounge and several other forums dedicated to clothing I just think it's too confusing at times... When it comes to searching for information, the more that your page fills with the more confusing it will get when trying to find something.

I like sticking to Google to find things on the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy