Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two New Alexander Leather Jackets Ordered ..........

schitzo

Suspended
I'll admit that I had a chip on my shoulder for the way Aero originally handled their announcement by posting it exclusive to this forum, which is very non-professional in my mind. Then I took some time to think about it and realized that Aero is still a very small operation and they don't have a marketing/PR department like I'm used to. For better or worse, they spilled their guts here. .

This is an excellent point that I'll admit I've overlooked myself. I guess the same applies to Alexander. So upon reflection I suppose word of mouth and forums like this are important for both companies. That is why I wouldn't like to see either unduly criricized. In other words, until some seriously shady wrong doing is shown to have gone down I'd like to think that this place will remain a level playing field

Last edited:
If you guys want to trust what you read here, be thankful some come off as crass or harsh, or whatever. I don't have any odd loyalties to any makers. I like them, but I don't tell stories to get some discount or to be buddies with someone. I sure don't sell products I make. So what benefits are there to stick your neck out and go against the grain? None, other than to know you tried to do right and be honest - to help others as I was helped when I was new. Take it or leave it, my opinion is but one of many here. No better, no worse.

Heiko

Familiar Face
Butte is a voice of reason here--and it is shocking because you have to hear his ideas on the joys of employment in tanneries.

Still, from my limited knowledge it does seem like the crowd that left Aero did as much damage as they could before departing...And it is possible they did this damage in response to being wronged. Ive seen that sort of thing happen dozens of times. Still it doesnt mean either product is going to be bad.

I was going to stay out of this thread...especially since this hi-jacking just seems to continue never ending...but think of it this way..if a customer or potential customer seems thrilled with what a certain jacket company or companies offer...they should be free to start a thread about what they intend to do or have done with the excitement of their next coming attraction not being soured(with this BS). When it arrives and pics are posted for all to see...then fit..hide..style..etc..most often opens things up for opinion or even criticism(as it should IMO).
If a member asks for advice and opinion about makers..styles..hides,etc. the discussion seems more appropiate for debate. Even why some like certain styles..finishes..and makers over others.
However..if a 'jacket company' jumps in a thread to advertise their wares at any opening..or claim that theirs is so much superior than the ones being discussed seems completely over the top..to me.
I am not bashful about promoting the main jacket company that I generally purchase my utility jackets from. However..my reasons might differ from some others. The company I buy from offers several styles I like..are made well...and also important to me..specialize in a unique FQHH that I find exceptional and most appealing. So naturally...I will often recommend my choice...and even submit 'why' some other companie's offerings just don't appeal to me. Then it is up to others to consider what seems to be their preference.
Of course there is much more to know about Aero's (Ken..Will & workforce)problems. There is much that has not been made public on both sides. It does run much deeper and more involved than many may think...but must every Alexander/Aero thread be trashed ?
Plumbline even asked not to do so. Others that order from either company want to be able to 'show off' what they have decided to purchase without dreading long threads about other things that corrupt their intentions.
However..if you think I am an Aero shill..or minion..you might be right...but my reasons are honest. They be my favorite..and that's just a fact. I'm not even sorry bout that..!
HD

Feraud

Bartender
Well said HD. The OP stated in his first post not to crap all over his thread and we've done just that in only three pages of posts. I don't want to see members shy away from posting their jackets due to continuing drama.
A member with a jacket shouldn't suffer due to the continuation of grinding axes..

Cooperson

One Too Many
Well said HD. The OP stated in his first post not to crap all over his thread and we've done just that in only three pages of posts. I don't want to see members shy away from posting their jackets due to continuing drama.
A member with a jacket shouldn't suffer due to the continuation of grinding axes..

Well said, it saddens me to see the way this forum is going.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Plumbline...how are your collars being fitted? Have they changed the way it was done before?mine never sat right..not a problem now as its being replaced....steer/horse issue...

Plumbline

One Too Many
It looks like I may have mis-judged the depth of feeling re. Aero / Alexanders ....... here was me thinking it was all about the jackets and we were moving on ....... it appears not !!!!!!

I have NO SKIN in ANY of the current jacket manufacturers ( no pun intended) .... I have purchased from Ken (Aero) , Stewart (Lost Worlds), Gary (Eastman), Derek (Lewis) as wel as Schott, Avirex, Cockpit and MANY others. I will treat Alexander Leathers no differently .... If I got involved with their particular inter company issues I'd never buy from ANY OF THEM.

I sold 2 Aero's ( I have 3 for sale) to buy the aforementioned two jackets ( all three were advertised in the classified section on here ... none were sold here ... two sold on ebay and the other is still for sale !) I have a simple one out one in philosophy born out of storage necessity rather than choice ..... there is no subliminal or indirect advertising in this post ( and any that is precieved is unintentional).

I merely posted what I purchased ( spec. etc.) and will post pics on receipt .. for NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN INFORMING OTHERS OF WHAT I GOT ..... good or bad ..... on an independent basis. Just as I have posted pics of Aero's, Lost Worlds, Lewis, Eastman and Sam Walker jackets in this and other forums. I thought that's what this was all about .... perhaps I was wrong !!!! I even went to the trouble of BUYING my jacket linings myself FFS because Alexander Leathers didn't have what I wanted .... surely the activity of a shill ... jeez, I feckin despair I really do !

Major ... your insinuation that I am some sort of shill for Alexanders is not only wrong it is quite frankly unfounded and a complete work of fantasy on your part .... look at the facts.

- I have spoken or met/know most of the players in the "repro" jacket world - I have heard various sides to the Aero story and frankly chose to believe none ... the truth will out eventually. I have heard various "truths" in this matter and quite frankly I DONT CARE ( this is THEIR issue not mine )

- I have the utmost sympathy for those who were left with incorrectly specified jackets and for those who (rightly) felt wronged by Aero or their representatives at the time but ( quite frankly) I can do nothing to resolve this matter and I believe it is being dealt with by Aero.

- I will equally post support for Aero / Alexanders / Eastman OR ANY OTHER manufacturer who makes great leather jackets, they are one of my passions and that passion has no company bias only for the information of others who share this passion.

The petty biases of the vocal few on here WILL NOT stop me informing the interested and mostly silent many of what I believe to be a great product manufatured by the hands of the skilled craftsmen ( formerly of Aero) ..... the behaviour of MD's or Chairmen is NOT my concern. I'll let the jackets do the talking. MD's and Chairmen don't make jackets ..... GREAT people do and who thy work for is largely not my concern. I buy indescriminately ...... quality is King.

P.S. I'm also indescriminate in my praise .... and all of the above companies make GREAT jackets ( not all the jackets .... but at least some of them .. and I will continue to try them all :) )

Post and pics will appear when they arrive .... NOT as advertising ( other than of my own preference in jacket styling and sizing .... some may believe otherwise ... that's their stuff not mine :) ) They MAY appear too big to you guys who like your jackets too small ... that's how I like them and that's how they will be .... I'm dealing with it ..... you like them small, I like them to fit ..... I've reconciled this in my own mind :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Plumbline...how are your collars being fitted? Have they changed the way it was done before?mine never sat right..not a problem now as its being replaced....steer/horse issue...

No Idea Peter ... I suspect it will be the traditional single top piece and two piece bottom design ... I haven't aksed for anything different. The only addition will be the removable Mouton collar on the Long Rider which I believe will be an overlay design with stud attachment under the permenant coller ... will post pics when it arrives.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I have to say I find the accusation against "Plumbline" quite unfair and childish. Is this the kind of treatment we want to have on FL from now on? Some members should remember what a respectful and most of all, adult behaviour is.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
No Idea Peter ... I suspect it will be the traditional single top piece and two piece bottom design ... I haven't aksed for anything different. The only addition will be the removable Mouton collar on the Long Rider which I believe will be an overlay design with stud attachment under the permenant coller ... will post pics when it arrives.
Thanks.if they are now using snaps instead of the two button fastening things should improve...it just never fitted properly & never got used...im sure your jackets will turn out great...a bit big ..but thats just me....;-)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks.if they are now using snaps instead of the two button fastening things should improve...it just never fitted properly & never got used...im sure your jackets will turn out great...a bit big ..but thats just me....;-)

If we were all the same it would be a VERY boring world to live in Peter ... long may these differences continue :)

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I have NO SKIN in ANY of the current jacket manufacturers ( no pun intended) .... I have purchased from Ken (Aero) , Stewart (Lost Worlds), Gary (Eastman), Derek (Lewis) as wel as Schott, Avirex, Cockpit and MANY others.....

Major ... your insinuation that I am some sort of shill for Alexanders is not only wrong it is quite frankly unfounded and a complete work of fantasy on your part .... look at the facts.

Well, the facts are two of the names you mention have been caught shilling under false names in other forums. People in the clothing business just can't seem to resist it !

In the days before the easy to use spell checker, Ken's persistent pattern of spelling mistakes gave the game away.
Charles at HPA (at that time the sole US Eastman distributor) had a distinctive writing style so his attempts to 'big up' product failed miserably.
Mr Clurman's posts were rather more amusing. As a published writer the pushing of the LW brand was somewhat indirect. I used to be a member of the Lost Worlds forum,
a very exclusive club that er....only had 4 or 5 members. He did post a few times on shilling strategies to the gullible jacketeer.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Granted there are older and wiser heads than me on here with a hulluva lot more jacket buying experience. And I can see the merit in a softly softly approach. That would seem sensible.

Yet equally on the other hand, there may well be some truth in the old adage that 'he who hesitates masturbates'. Only time will tell

Like for HD, aero are my favourites too, and I aint apologizing either. But that doesn't mean we need people here to start up 'Jacket wars' on their behalf.

I would like to echo Tomasso's words above with a plea to ask that this place gets back to its gentlemanly ways asap. Because if not everyone loses

Feraud

Bartender
Well said, it saddens me to see the way this forum is going.

Let me assure everyone this is not the way the forum is going. We all understand how unfortunate situations happen and passions and opinions are inflamed. There comes a time when folks have to let the drama go and not jump on every other thread that reminds them of a contentious issue.

It looks like I may have mis-judged the depth of feeling re. Aero / Alexanders ....... here was me thinking it was all about the jackets and we were moving on ....... it appears not !!!!!!

I have NO SKIN in ANY of the current jacket manufacturers ( no pun intended) .... I have purchased from Ken (Aero) , Stewart (Lost Worlds), Gary (Eastman), Derek (Lewis) as wel as Schott, Avirex, Cockpit and MANY others. I will treat Alexander Leathers no differently .... If I got involved with their particular inter company issues I'd never buy from ANY OF THEM.

I sold 2 Aero's ( I have 3 for sale) to buy the aforementioned two jackets ( all three were advertised in the classified section on here ... none were sold here ... two sold on ebay and the other is still for sale !) I have a simple one out one in philosophy born out of storage necessity rather than choice ..... there is no subliminal or indirect advertising in this post ( and any that is precieved is unintentional).

I merely posted what I purchased ( spec. etc.) and will post pics on receipt .. for NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN INFORMING OTHERS OF WHAT I GOT ..... good or bad ..... on an independent basis. Just as I have posted pics of Aero's, Lost Worlds, Lewis, Eastman and Sam Walker jackets in this and other forums. I thought that's what this was all about .... perhaps I was wrong !!!! I even went to the trouble of BUYING my jacket linings myself FFS because Alexander Leathers didn't have what I wanted .... surely the activity of a shill ... jeez, I feckin despair I really do !

- I have spoken or met/know most of the players in the "repro" jacket world - I have heard various sides to the Aero story and frankly chose to believe none ... the truth will out eventually. I have heard various "truths" in this matter and quite frankly I DONT CARE ( this is THEIR issue not mine )

- I have the utmost sympathy for those who were left with incorrectly specified jackets and for those who (rightly) felt wronged by Aero or their representatives at the time but ( quite frankly) I can do nothing to resolve this matter and I believe it is being dealt with by Aero.

- I will equally post support for Aero / Alexanders / Eastman OR ANY OTHER manufacturer who makes great leather jackets, they are one of my passions and that passion has no company bias only for the information of others who share this passion.

The petty biases of the vocal few on here WILL NOT stop me informing the interested and mostly silent many of what I believe to be a great product manufatured by the hands of the skilled craftsmen ( formerly of Aero) ..... the behaviour of MD's or Chairmen is NOT my concern. I'll let the jackets do the talking. MD's and Chairmen don't make jackets ..... GREAT people do and who thy work for is largely not my concern. I buy indescriminately ...... quality is King.

P.S. I'm also indescriminate in my praise .... and all of the above companies make GREAT jackets ( not all the jackets .... but at least some of them .. and I will continue to try them all :) )

Post and pics will appear when they arrive .... NOT as advertising ( other than of my own preference in jacket styling and sizing .... some may believe otherwise ... that's their stuff not mine :) ) They MAY appear too big to you guys who like your jackets too small ... that's how I like them and that's how they will be .... I'm dealing with it ..... you like them small, I like them to fit ..... I've reconciled this in my own mind :)

You don't need to explain your action Plumbline. I am glad you have a thicker skin than others.

I have to say I find the accusation against "Plumbline" quite unfair and childish. Is this the kind of treatment we want to have on FL from now on? Some members should remember what a respectful and most of all, adult behaviour is.

I agree it is unfounded and unfair.
This is not the kind of treatement members will receive on the Lounge.

I am going to edit and attempt to clean this thead up. Moving forward, let's conduct ourselves with the kind of respect you'd give a guy if he were sitting across a table from you.

If anyone thinks they have certain "facts" about the intention of another member it is probably a good idea to present this inforamation to the mods and let us deal with it. Trolls and shills don't last long here. Trust us to keep the place running as smoothly as possible.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
you did ... do a search on Alexander Leathers .. both the Drifter and the Long rider are posted ( warning ... picture heavy)

Robb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner