Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-Tone Dress Design

Snookie

Practically Family
I wanted to show you gals my current project and get your opinions. I'm making this dress for the LA Air Raid event next month. I'm using this pattern that the lovely Lotus Leroux gave me for my birthday, and a vintage green wool crepe.
Hollywood737.jpg

I'm going to make a two-tone version, because 1. I don't have enough fabric, and 2. I love color-blocking, I think it's the easiest way to give a garment a real 40's look, since those great prints are getting harder and harder to find.

I'm planning to use contrasting fabric-covered buttons and doing a contrast pickstitch around the collar and belt.

Here's some options I threw together, using 40's color combinations. I was considering satin for the contrast, but I think that's too fancy for this style. I think I'll stick with crepe, but I'm open to suggestions.

Tell me which one you like the best -- after seeing them colored, I've changed my mind about which one I like best. Did I miss any good options?
Should I not use such a light green? All opinions welcome!

Hollywood737Brown.gif
Hollywood737Gold.gif
Hollywood737White.gif
Hollywood737Green.gif
<---supposed to be a dark green contrast, not gray

The Shirt

Practically Family
I kind of like the Lt. grey on green or the dk green on green. Does your haircolor have auburn tones to it or is it more of a chocolate brown? For me - I don't wear a lot of brown close to my face because my haircolor sometimes looks a little wonky with it (cooler brown hair, usually warmer browns in clothes). But I still really like that color combo too.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Snookie,

I really like the yellow contrast, but I also like the dark green contrast. I agree that satin may be too fancy for this style but a great idea for something else!

Looks good! I look forward to seeing the dress in progress!

Snookie

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I kind of like the Lt. grey on green or the dk green on green. Does your haircolor have auburn tones to it or is it more of a chocolate brown? For me - I don't wear a lot of brown close to my face because my haircolor sometimes looks a little wonky with it (cooler brown hair, usually warmer browns in clothes). But I still really like that color combo too.

I guess I shoulda cleaned up the picture more...it's supposed to be white, not lt. gray. Oh, well.

I used to have auburn-y hair, but as of Sunday I now have lighter, almost blonde highlights...I used to wear brown, but I'll have to see if I can still pull it off. Hadn't thought about that.

LD, I think the yellow/green has a 30's feel, too. I'm realizing that yellow next to my face might not be the best choice for me, though.

retrogirl1941, is the contrast of your dress the same fabric, or two different kinds?

Any more opinions?

Snookie

Practically Family
sheesh, ya'll type way faster than me!

Miss Neecerie, it's really all about the coat, right? I doubt my dress will even make an appearance!

I'll try and post pictures as it's coming along.

VB, you think yellow could be an okay color? I think you're right, that we have the same coloring.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
#3 and #4 get me vote. Sorry I live in Packer country so anything green and yellow/gold reminds me of them. No matter what time period.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I favor using 2 tones of the same color, as it doesn't break up the body quite as much. I would use a lighter color for the bodice, as it will have a tendency to draw the eyes up. If it were me, I'd use a sagey shade of green. Of course, it all depends on your body type and how you'd like to emphasize it, and your coloring and color preferences.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Colorz all around!

Hey Snookie!

Out of the pictures, my personal vote is for the brown and green. Runner up is the yellow and green. This depends on the hue(s) of green, yellow, or brown you will be using of course!
Things to consider:
If you go with the green on green, the advantage is, you basically have one color to coordinate with- green. ON the other hand you now have a dark green color surrounding (framing) your face.
If you go with (yellow) on green, then you now have two colors to coordinate with. If done well you can get an amazing triad; or play it safe and pick a neutral (white, tan, gray). Good or bad depends on your execution! Plus, again, if it's (yellow) then you are framing your face with yellow, not green.
Lastly- what about reversing the colors? Dark green dress with a light green inset? More formal "Feel" but it could look righteous!
I bet this will look great.... I need to show you the dark teal wool I picked up at B Black and Sons, btw.....

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks for your opinions, everyone! So originally, I was sold on the dark green/light green combo. When I colored the pictures, I liked the white/light green one better. Didn't really like the brown or yellow version, ever! Very surprised that brown and yellow got so many votes.

I think I'm going shopping Saturday, so I'm going to look for either dark green or brown contrast.

KittyT and dakotanorth, I would actually prefer the lighter color on top, but I was planning to use fabric I had, that's why I did it this way. Depending on what I find/how much it costs, maybe I'll do it like you said.

Okay, no pics of me in the mockup, I couldn't get a good shot. I didn't have to make many changes, mostly shortening the skirt and sleeve length, and adjusting the bodice a little:
DSC00964.jpg

The back of the collar had too much tension, and I wanted to change the collar shape slightly. You can see where I clipped the collar (decided to open it about 1") and the muslin I pinned behind the collar to sketch the new collar shape.

DSC00965.jpg

Overview of the top of the Bodice/Collar piece

DSC00966.jpg

New Collar shape. The old collar is the green line, and the new one is the black line. I just laid my pattern paper on top of the muslin and traced the new shape, then added the seam allowance back.

DSC00968.jpg

Opening the back collar, using the slash and spread method. I added 1" total, divided in 3 spots. You don't want to add it all in one place, it'll look awkward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic