Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-Tone Dress Design

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ha, I was going to vote for the brown, then yellow second as well! I was also going to say, what shoes do you have that would go best? That might sway your decision.
You may also find a print that you like as well. Cute outfit! Can't wait to see what you do!
Nikki

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I like the yellow contrast. I agree that a light color on top and a darker color on the bottom looks better than vice versa.

If you are uneasy about wearing yellow next to your face, the right shade of pink or lavender might look good with the green.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
If you are uneasy about wearing yellow next to your face, the right shade of pink or lavender might look good with the green.

Yeah. Even a beige or cream would look very nice as well.

Blondie

Practically Family
i like brown & green,
love the contrat of colours,
i once wore a 40's green suit with a pale green blouse,
felt like a grasshopper all day long ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Yellow is my top choice, but only if you have the coloring to pull it off. Otherwise, I'd go with brown, then dark green.

Snookie

Practically Family
Pink, lavender, cream, beige, oh the choices!

I think I'll skip the pink and lavender - I want a strong "wartime" look, and those are a little sweet. Love the idea for another outfit, though. I usually forget about combining those colors with green, but I like the idea.

Cream might be good. I think I want either lighter than my skin or darker, so probably cream or brown, not beige.

Better ask DH's opinion soon -- he's going feel left out!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Popular Color combos of the 40s

Does anyone have a reference for this? I know some general colors that were used, but I am also considering a two tone dress and am not sure what to use.

I am fair with blue/pink undertones to my skin (which is too pale for almost any foundation), auburn hair, Blue eyes.

I was considering Burgundy and Cream or Mauvy Rose with a hint of brown undertones paired with a tan color...

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I really like the yellow and the green. Very classically 40s colors and such a fresh look to it, but they're still in the same color family-ish to give it a good blend. That's what I would choose, or at least my gut reaction. :D

Snookie

Practically Family
So I went shopping yesterday, and all the plans got thrown out the window! Well, not entirely, but I'm no longer using the light green crepe for this project - just couldn't find a coordinate I was really happy with. I think it'll become a jumper for the summertime, instead. I think this shade of green is much better for the summer months.

Instead, I'll be using a darker green, and a beige constrast. This is really the shade of green I was wishing for all along, so I had to give in when I found it. (okay, to be honest, my wonderful husband found the fabric!) There weren't any lighter greens or browns I liked it with, so I got a beige contrast.

I also went around the corner from Michael Levine and had covered buttons made. Only a few dollars and about 10 minutes, and they're much sturdier than the ones I've made at home before. A steal!

The picture's a little washed out from the flash, but you get the idea:
DSC01004.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
Does anyone have a reference for this? I know some general colors that were used, but I am also considering a two tone dress and am not sure what to use.

I am fair with blue/pink undertones to my skin (which is too pale for almost any foundation), auburn hair, Blue eyes.

I was considering Burgundy and Cream or Mauvy Rose with a hint of brown undertones paired with a tan color...

I look at old patterns for reference, and have recently started collecting old fashion magazines. Movies are good of course, but harder to "save" the images for reference. Obviously, matching the color choice with your chosen era is crucial - using pastels is better for a 50's look than for the 40's, to be stereotypical.

For this project, I spent some time looking at the McCall's magazine Lauren posted on her website. http://www.wearinghistory.net/pdf/mcc11.42.00.pdf (Hope it's okay to link that, Lauren!)

I came very close yesterday to choosing a Burgundy and Cream combo, but my husband nixed it. He said it looked too "repro". lol I guess it's a popular combo for repro companies to use, plus he thought it would be too heavy/strong in a wool crepe. I still love the combo, though.

Women were much more adventurous in their color combinations back then than we are today. I think most people today would think this blue and yellow much too strong together:
sc01349482.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Great choice on the colour combo and covered matching buttons finish a garment off just right, I'm so looking forward to seeing your dress when is done,

Same here--it's going to be a stunner!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Snookie's dress!

Snookie, I agree, I think the color combo will be tasteful but distinct. I also agree with your husband's assessment; somehow burgundy IS a popular repro color. I can't figure out why... maybe people like the impact of red? Maybe other colors like green and yellow have become... obscure? Not sure. Red bleeds the worst so I'm assuming these burgundys are poly blends.
ANYWAYS, don't forget to prewash (if needed) and I will see you on Sunday!
(Oh yeah, ROCK ON that your husband found the fabric!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes