Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-Tone Dress Design

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Snookie, your dress is beautiful! I like the combination you chose much better than any of the original color schemes you were considering. Love the collar shape and stitching details!

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, thank you thank you so so much everyone! I had such a great time sharing this project with all of you from the very beginning, and all the compliments are overwhelming. I want to print them all out and frame them! :) :D :) :D :)

Thanks for not minding the missing shoulder pads. ;) I want to do more embroidery on future garments, the pickstitch is so easy I'll probably go crazy with it now. Thanks for the dancing compliments too - I never know how much a skirt is going to come up until I'm on the floor, so that's a surprise -- somehow doing solo swivels in my sewing room doesn't have the same power.

JupitersD, I think the pin's a swordfish. It was from that repro company, Classic Hardware...on clearance. Can't imagine why! lol

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Thanks for not minding the missing shoulder pads. ;) I want to do more embroidery on future garments, the pickstitch is so easy I'll probably go crazy with it now. Thanks for the dancing compliments too - I never know how much a skirt is going to come up until I'm on the floor, so that's a surprise -- somehow doing solo swivels in my sewing room doesn't have the same power.
Snookie said:
Funny thing is, I think it was a queen, princess, something like that from England, she used to have lead shot sewn into her skirt hemline to reduce how much the skirt kicked up in the wind. Clever! A little impractical though.

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks again to everyone! I truly appreciate all the nice comments.

Dakotanorth, I know that putting weights in hems is common, to improve the drape (Chanel jackets always have a chain at the hem for that purpose.). I'm not sure it would help keep the hem down while dancing, though, I think they'd have to be really heavy! hmm...might be worth a try. If nothing else, it'll help clear the dance floor around me (but woe to my partner!!) ;)

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
Oh, that dress is so pretty. I got a sewing machine for christmas and i just started taking sewing lessons. Seeing the results made me more excited! :eusa_clap

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Snookie said:
Thanks again to everyone! I truly appreciate all the nice comments.

Dakotanorth, I know that putting weights in hems is common, to improve the drape (Chanel jackets always have a chain at the hem for that purpose.). I'm not sure it would help keep the hem down while dancing, though, I think they'd have to be really heavy! hmm...might be worth a try. If nothing else, it'll help clear the dance floor around me (but woe to my partner!!) ;)

yeah, and you may end up with bruises around your knees, but what's a little bruising for fashion/not flashing your arse?! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes