Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-Tone Dress Design

Sunny

One Too Many
Snookie said:
I came very close yesterday to choosing a Burgundy and Cream combo, but my husband nixed it. He said it looked too "repro". lol I guess it's a popular combo for repro companies to use, plus he thought it would be too heavy/strong in a wool crepe. I still love the combo, though.

It's exactly the same way for 1860s reenacting, too! Burgandy, navy blue, and hunter green tend to be "default" colors for a lot of reproductions. It's worse because none of those were particularly popular in the 1860s. Like the 1940s, the 1860s were pretty bright - arguably brighter. Yellow and purple! Lilac and peach! Orange and blue! :eek: One lady speculates that people gravitate toward current popular combinations - the Laura Ashley syndrome.

Anyway, that dress is going to be fantastic! Two-tone outfits really seem to be underrepresented, considering how many illustrations show them. :eusa_clap

Dani California

Familiar Face
Snookie said:
I wanted to show you gals my current project and get your opinions. I'm making this dress for the LA Air Raid event next month. I'm using this pattern that the lovely Lotus Leroux gave me for my birthday, and a vintage green wool crepe.

Love the dress and colors picked! I've never been to the LA Air Raid event (first time ever hearing about it) and now I'm thinking about going. Have you been before? Is it a fun crowd and good event? Can you wear cocktail dresses?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Dani California said:
Snookie said:
I wanted to show you gals my current project and get your opinions. I'm making this dress for the LA Air Raid event next month. I'm using this pattern that the lovely Lotus Leroux gave me for my birthday, and a vintage green wool crepe.

Love the dress and colors picked! I've never been to the LA Air Raid event (first time ever hearing about it) and now I'm thinking about going. Have you been before? Is it a fun crowd and good event? Can you wear cocktail dresses?

You can wear whatever you like, but I would suggest warmer clothes, as its an outdoor evening event. Brrrrrrr.

It's very fun indeed.

Snookie

Practically Family
It gets extra chilly, as it is right up on the ocean. I might bring a scarf or mittens this year, for the walk to and from the car at least.

Also, sturdy shoes (perhaps closed) are important, as many portions of Fort Mac aren't paved, and are dirt or gravel. So I'd also avoid a long dress with a train. ;)

There's a thread for the event, with more information, in the Events section.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow, those buttons are nice...

They sharpen scissors around there too, right?

I ran into Snookie and her Beau at the fabric store this past Sat. its such a hoot meeting loungers in the real world. Especially when they run up to you ;)

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Especially when they run up to you ;)

Yeah, hope I didn't freak you out too much! I was incognito, wearing low-rise jeans and straight hair, and I was trying to catch LD as I saw her getting ready to cross the street. Shoulda known I'd run into a Lounger there! :) Sorry I didn't get to meet Miss Crisplock, too.

I'm sure you can get scissors sharpened somewhere down there, but I don't think I'd bother. Unless the price was REALLY good. I got the buttons done around the corner from ML on 9th St, at a store called Kashcool. They've got a giant metal footpetal machine up front for doing buttons. They were a little irritated that I only wanted a few (I'm sure they're used to doing hundreds for bridal gowns), but they ended up being very nice and doing a great job. I knew that with the thickness of the wool I'd really struggle trying to do it myself.

Snookie

Practically Family
Okay, I know I'm WAY past due for posting pictures, but my camera battery died and took all my pictures with them! I wore it again this weekend, in honor of St. Patty's Day (hence the crazy green pin...) I lost some process shots, but mostly they were just showing how many pins it takes to get that much gathering into the cuffs!

I did a pickstitch by hand around the collar, and used a machine-stitch for the embroidery on the belt. I'm happy with how the collar falls, since I adjusted the pattern there. I shortened the sleeves a little too much, and it restricts movement, but the action pleat in the back makes up for that pretty well. I don't have a picture of the sleeve placket, but I did a self bias binding placket, instead of having the opening at the underarm seam as the pattern suggested. I can't stand the opening at the underarm - it's much easier to sew, but the button constantly spins around to the front.

I never got around to putting in shoulder pads, which it really should have, but I always tell myself that my shoulders are so square I'm allowed to cheat!

DSC01160.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01161.jpg
[/IMG]

Here I'm a little askew, but I think that's pretty typical!
DSC01159.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie... Beautiful everything!! You, the dress, your hair! GORGEOUS!! I giggled when you talked about the shoulder pads... I usually take mine out of vintage garments for the same reason. I am already built like a linebacker!! :) Wonderful, wonderful job!!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
that looks really nice! i'm a sucker for anything with pickstitch as a trim. the belt is fantastic too. it looks like you put a TON of work into the whole thing!

(lo, you are NOT built like a linebacker.)

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
The dress is amazing!! You did such an outstanding job, and the time you
took is obvious in the fantastic details.:eusa_clap

Thanks for posting the pictures. You look great!

Blondie

Practically Family
WOW, that dress is amazing !
I'm so glad you didnt go two tone green, it just look amazing, in fact if you said it was an original i'm sure no-one would know ,
all you sewing gals are so talented, the extent of my sewing ability is sewing on a button .......
PS your hair looks great too, you have the whole package going on ;)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Snookie, you do some seriously beautiful work! I wish I could have seen you dance in it! I love so many things about it. Thanks for showing the completed pictures.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Snookie's dress!

Yes, I can account first-hand, she dances well in that dress!
(Hopefully I will finish my 40's shirt soon so people can evaluate it too....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes