Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U-571

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Were they?

I saw U-571 a while back- amusing and action packed but not historically correct. I believe a similar action was made by the British.
I don't remember that I noticed any black painted Thompsons though.
The sort of thing I would notice...
You sure it wasn't the standard type of Parkerized finish? Dark matte grey-ish.
Thompsons were usually blued but some were probably Parkerized later or after service refurbishment. A blued weapon looks shiny black in low light, Park'ed one is much more matte- like a Garand for instance. Paint wouldn't last long at all...
Tank.

up196

A-List Customer
Early Thompson Guns

Mycroft said:
About the black Thompsons, I just found out they made a "Commando" version that is black in 1927. [/URL]
Any early production Thompson would have been one of the following:

Model of 1921AC (with Cutts Compensator) or 1921A (without), made by Colt's

Model of 1927, a semi-automatic modification made from 1921 models, intended for the Police market

Model of 1928 US Navy, also made from original 1921s (the overstamped marking looks like it says "192B"), modified to fire at a slower rate at the request of the military, but also sold commercially

Model of 1928 Commercial, made briefly by Savage

Model of 1928A1, the military version made by Auto Ordnance and Savage during WWII

All of these, including the semi-automatic Models of 1927, were originally manufactured with 10 1/2 inch barrels, have "top-mounted" "cocking knobs" and had removable wooden butt-stocks. I had never seen a folding stock on a Thompson until I saw one in U-571. All would have been blued, with the exception of the 1928A1s, which could be blued, "brush blue" (a dull, matte blued finish) or Parkerized.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I am sure they were black, a gun metal or "parkerized finish", is not thick black like in the movie, is it? Also, a folding stock on a Thompson, that is a new one for me.

up196

A-List Customer
More on the Thompson . . .

The 1928 Navy overstamp (192B):

The stock on the gun:

The stock off:

And, finally, ready for business:

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Wow! Up196: I guess its because I never expect anyone to actually "have one" of these things that it seems so impressive! :) . You see them in films and historical documentaries but to actually have found one. Can you share any story that might of come with getting it or its history.

The Big question from a "Gun Deprived" Canuck is...How does it feel to fire the thing? I just can't imagine?

Again Very Nice:
P.s. U-571 OK I guess, but too much of the Old revisionistic Hollywood turn on things. I was also not Impressed with how they dressed up a fishing boat to be the dreaded "German Destroyer". Its the same when watching any war movie from the 70's when a few Harvards are supposed to represent D-Day invasion fighters. Aaargh....

I'm too much of a Warbird nut to let it slide, I guess.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

android

One of the Regulars
Das Boot* is my official dept of weights and measures standard for submarine movies. U571 doesn't even come close to measuring up. My sister gave me the DVD and it still sits in the closet with only one viewing. Too much Hollywood hokiness for me.

The Hunt for Red October is my favorite recently filmed sub movie. Crimson Tide is OK, but not great.

*3h 20m Director's cut in German

up196

A-List Customer
Kilgour Trout said:
Can you share any story that might of come with getting it or its history.

The Big question from a "Gun Deprived" Canuck is...How does it feel to fire the thing? I just can't imagine?
The Thompson isn't mine, it belongs to a friend. We go way back, were Deputy Sheriffs together 24 years ago, and he lets me "borrow" it whenever I "need" a Thompson for some reason or another. He got it probably 15 years ago. It originally was manufactured as a 1921AC in 1922, was modified to '28 Navy specs by Colt's (hence the 192"B") and was sold commercially. Never was a military weapon, but belonged to a Texas Ranger as his personal weapon.

As far as firing it, it shoots like a dream. Very controllable because it's heavy and the weight absorbs the recoil. Stories you hear about how hard they are to keep on target are just that, stories.

If you ever find yourself in New Orleans, let me know and I'll borrow it for a trip to the range . . . Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails