Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unintended 'water treatment'... advice requested...

Azog

Familiar Face
With mine, I rolled the leather in different directions in the places I felt needed it until it softened up again. Knits weren't affected like yours. I've darkened another jacket purposely with Pecards before but didn't want that effect on the Havana(russet) Eastman. I want that colour unchanged, therefore no greasy conditioners.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't get any water on the knits, just placed jacket in the bath (without water in) & ran the sink tap, transferred water by hand to the leather & lining, dampened not soaked. I learnt my lesson with wool knits when I wrecked a set by soaking them & had to pay for replacements :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I learnt my lesson with wool knits when I wrecked a set by soaking them & had to pay for replacements :)
I don't get this with the wool knits. A few answers have said they have ruined them but how? I have done things with hot water I won't mention here and mine seem fine.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand either. Wool is robust and can be washed as long as the water is not too warm. I've washed a range of knits with no issues.

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town
I don't get this with the wool knits. A few answers have said they have ruined them but how? I have done things with hot water I won't mention here and mine seem fine.
The waist knit seems to have lost its 'springiness'... is that a word?... hard to describe without feeling it, maybe I'm being a bit finicky, but not the same as before the drenching.

bn1966

My knits (cuffs) were ruined due to me soaking them and then stretching them (they were very tight). Learnt just to let time loosen knits up.

I've worn my jackets in all kinds of weather & been thoroughly soaked many times with no ill effects to leather or wool.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
perhaps it is saturated with oil from the hide since it was pooling there when the jacket got drenched in the rain, unlike water, oil wont evaporate so well and perhaps stuffing all the air pockets in the wool, maybe try to wash the knits with mild detergent & warm water first.

El Marro

The waist knit seems to have lost its 'springiness'... is that a word?... hard to describe without feeling it, maybe I'm being a bit finicky, but not the same as before the drenching.
I experienced the same problem with a Diamond Dave A-2 that I washed in hot water and then ran through the dryer. The waist knits did not shrink at the same rate as the jacket and they looked quite sloppy.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had some cuffs replaced on my Lucky 7 Seven WWII era jacket. Rather than have a 70+ year old jacket with brand knew knit cuffs that personally I thought looked a bit odd, I stuck them in some rather hot water to relax them and take a bit of the elasticity out of the wool. Now they just look a little more natural to the jacket.
One of the few times I have tried to age something on a jacket. Were the jacket new I would have let nature take it's course.

Edward

Bartender
This is the jacket that needs the knits replaced, they didn't fare as well as the leather in the rain!

If all they've done is relax out a little, I'd leave well alone. Otherwise, if you wear your A2, you're going to want to be relacing the knits every six months or so! The knits stretching and relaxing abit is just part of the nature of an A2 with wool knits. I'd only replace them if they've been shredded by moths.

The jacket will soften up by wearing it.

Yip. Just wear it - like you did to break it in originally. I think treatment at this point, if the leather doesn't feel all dried out and in danger of crackin,g is overkill. FWIW, I believe Aero advise not treating a jacket for the first decade or so.

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town
Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated. It has actually turned out to be one of the best mistakes I've made!.... just wearing it round the house as much as possible, and quite often when driving, it has softened up remarkably well... looks pretty damn good as well.. will post some pics, see what you guys think..

willyto

One Too Many
If all they've done is relax out a little, I'd leave well alone. Otherwise, if you wear your A2, you're going to want to be relacing the knits every six months or so! The knits stretching and relaxing abit is just part of the nature of an A2 with wool knits. I'd only replace them if they've been shredded by moths.

Yip. Just wear it - like you did to break it in originally. I think treatment at this point, if the leather doesn't feel all dried out and in danger of crackin,g is overkill. FWIW, I believe Aero advise not treating a jacket for the first decade or so.

Treating The Leather

This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035.

regius

Speaking of "unintended" effect of washing leather jacket, i took a trip down to the local laundromat and spin cycled cold this lovely XL Windward, the quilted lining was intact but dirty, now it's unravelled, became a plain satin lining...

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
6542A960-5259-4232-A726-DDF7155CB301.jpeg

ProteinNerd

if you wear your A2, you're going to want to be relacing the knits every six months or so!

Are you kidding? You need to replace knits on an A2 every 6 months ... I had no idea .... who could be bothered?

Also that would cost an absolute fortune here in Oz anyway.

Edward

Bartender
Are you kidding? You need to replace knits on an A2 every 6 months ... I had no idea .... who could be bothered?

Also that would cost an absolute fortune here in Oz anyway.

Plaster was worked his knits had relaxed a little after getting eetc in the rain, and was considering replacement. My point was if that's what made him think they needed replaced, wearing the jacket with any frequency and thus knits relaxing a little over time would have him running for regular replacement (which I consider unnecessary).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo