Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A-2 sizing

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Im strongly considering a horsehide russet a-2 from u.s authentic. Im on a pretty strict budget so this is the best buy for the money in my opinion. Anyways, Im agonizing about the sizing issue. I really want to get it right on the first time and not spend extra cash sending jackets back and forth. Is there anyone else out there whos around 6'2-6'3 in height, approx 195 pounds with a 40 inch chest whos got a USA A-2? My inquiry to USA wasnt too useful as they recommended a size 46 regular, which seems ridiculous to me. Im looking for a trim, military fit, but not painted on either.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hey Hawk,

Sometimes Shaul gets the sizing way off. I'm 5' 10", 225 lbs, and wear a 44 R. My 2 USA's are 44 and fit fine. The A-2 has enough room for my "less than athletic build", and is correct in length. When I first ordered it they sent me a 48R, which was an absolute tent. Be aware, USA likes to use UPS, and they will ding you with a $45.00 brokerage fee for every transaction, so when you send back the wrong size you'll have to pay the brokerage fee a second time when the new one arrives. Shaul will send via USPS upon request, but it takes a lot longer.
If you're up for a drive I live about an hour and an half west of Toronto, and you can have a first hand look at USA, Aero, and Cockpit A-2's, as well as some other various leathers.

Later, Brian

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I'm a 48" chest and 5' 11.5" tall and I asked Shaul's opinion via the online form as wanted to get a 'roomier' fit, rather than the military style. I went with the 50" Regular and it's great, but the sleeves are much too long. Still, it goes well over a sweater in the winter. If it helps any, I think the 48R would have been just right for the military fit, so it might be worth just going for your normal suit jacket size.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
at 6 '2" with a 47 chest I have USA goat A-2 in a 46t. the sleeves are a little long, but the chest is good. that is the one thing about USA jackets; sleeve lenghth. If they are too long for you, just ask them to shorten them up. Shaul will do it for you.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Gosh. I am 5-foot-11 and have a US Authentic in a regular 40. It is almost too long. So when I read about people suggesting 44 or 46, I urge you to call Shaul with a realistic measurement of your dimensions. Frankly, from what I read, a 42 might do just right.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I do think that USA jackets run long. Or at least the A-2's do. I would have been better with a 48R. But they are very well made. Just remeber they have a generic design to them.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Im 6'8" and 270 I ordered a 48T then took it to the big&tall store and had one of the guys eval it with it on me. they said i needed one size larger. ok thats
a custom order..I called Shaul and he told me he could do a 50T. a week later
it showed up and it fit good. I also had a patch sewn on and they put it right were i wanted it. for the price i am very happy with i got.:D
Tom

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Hawk_Eye:

For what it's worth, I ordered my true chest size (44R) and jacket is a little roomy but not baggy and the length of the jacket is just a bit long on me. This is just my opinion but I think that a 40T would fit you just the way you want. The only other consideration would be sleeve length - a size 40 might not have enough sleeve length for you. You may have to get the sleeves lengthened.

Good luck,

Noel

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
To be authentic there were two sizes in the Military too big too small. I have a couple of repro field jackets that are a bit too big. I thought about having them tailored but felt that wouldn't be realistic. A-2s on the other hand are a bit more pricey. I bought a Cooper years ago in a 50 (6ft-48 chest) its a bit baggy but I need the room in the "Lats". I know that A-2s are supposed to be form fitting but I know I would have regretted buying my size.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
WW2 A-2s are often form fitting, though they weren't "supposed to" fit any particular way. They were just mass produced from scarcer and scarcer hides, which probably accounts for the trimmer cut.

Prewar A-2s actually started out rather blousy and roomy on the wearer, as shown by this 1934 pic of Hap Arnold's Alaska flight. These jackets were apparently new for the flight, due to the special crest, and thus unbroken-in.
2207139699_66e1277699_o.jpg

TarHeel1911

New in Town
46R sounds a little big to me, although for your height, the length of the jacket might be just right.

I'm 6'-2", 225, and have a 44 chest. Mr. Dover recommended a 46R in the A-2 (goatskin) for me, which I think fits great. (It will look even better when I lose some of the "excess" around my middle). For me the length of the jacket and sleeves is just right, and the overall fit is trim-exactly what I wanted.

I'd go back to USA and inquire about a 42 or 44 size; I think that will get closer to the fit you're looking for.

My only complaint about my US Authentic A-2 is that the sleeves are a bit tight from the elbow down. This isn't too big a deal, since I don't wear heavy shirts or sweaters under my jacket-it just seems a bit odd.

Then again, after shooting pistols for 20-odd years, my forearms are bigger than average; I look a bit like Popeye from certain angles.

Good Luck

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Just for what it's worth, I'm 5' 10" and about 225, and my recent issue Cooper A-2 in 52R fits me perfectly. I usually wear a size 48 suit. I don't know how you guys who list yourselves at a similar height and weight ever manage to fit into a 44 or 46 jacket.

Do vintage sizes run larger?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Vintage sizes - civilian or military - uniformly run smaller on the body than modern military-cut, which run smaller than typical outerwear cut. A typical size 40 might measure 42" around the chest in vintage, 46" in modern mil-spec, and 50" in a mass market jacket.

I failed to mention earlier that I own a US-A A-2 myself. At 5'10 1/2", 185#, I typically take a 42 or mil-spec 44 but often have problems with length due to my 35 sleeve. The US-A 42 fits me very nicely, and is even long in the sleeves and just a bit long in the body.

This is their standard mid brown goat model, which is an unusually good buy at $294. Horse is $100 extra, in russet or seal.
1392136064_63158843de.jpg
1392136494_1353c78d5f.jpg

nicky boy

New in Town
That's a beauty, Fletch. Love the way it fits. I prefer a tiny bit of extra length in the body to a strict military A-2 fit. At my age!

I'm 5'11", 180 pounds and have been researching A-2s and I thought on balance that a 42R US/A might be the one for me. Your photo confirms it.

Thanks for posting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran