Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A2 Goatskin?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have one of their $100 more expensive horsehide A-2s. Assuming that the goatskin model is made pretty much the same way, apart from the hide, it's probably excellent, and about the best that you're going to find in that price range. (And no, it's not in the same accuracy zone as the premium repros - but it's a tough, well-made, lovely jacket that's way closer to a 1940s A-2 than the current version.)

I actually went over to US Auth in person when I got mine, and I can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself that I didn't try on their goatskin model too when I was there, just so that I could properly answer this question! (Well, I'm probably gonna be in the market for G1 in the fall, so maybe I'll have a reason to head over again and try on their other jackets...)

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Goatskin A-2

I just bought a Cockpit goatskin A-2 few months ago. I needed a 48L so the cost was right over $300. My only concern was that I thought the zipper should have been a little beefier. It has softened up a bit since I've been wearing it. It's a very nice jacket, but does cost a few bucks.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Another good alternative in my opinion is the US Wings Signature Series Goatskin A-2. These are in the same price range that you mentioned. I've had mine for about a year and a half. I wear it about as much as anything I own. It is a very comfortable jacket...maybe just a bit warmer than other A-2's I have, and seems to be well made. Nice pebble to the hide. Just another one to consider anyway. It is the version without handwarmer pockets.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's really no lack of nice goatskin A-2 jackets out there, though if you're specifically looking for an old-school model vs. the current spec, I still give high marks to the US Authentic for its cotton lining, wool knits, and trim-but-long cut.

Wow... this thread's from 2005! You know, I never did go back to US Authentic for a G-1 - I got a Gibson & Barnes Historical M-422A instead... and it's awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats