Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Nomex CWU 45 Flight Jacket with hood

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received this Propper contract CWU 45 Nomex jacket with hood. This is a nice roomy contract & great for current UK weather..but not when it's raining heavily. Hood is attached by buttons sewn onto collar of jacket. Jacket dates from 2000 & the hood is an 87 Alpha.

IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0456.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just received this Propper contract CWU 45 Nomex jacket with hood. This is a nice roomy contract & great for current UK weather..but not when it's raining heavily. Hood is attached by buttons sewn onto collar of jacket. Jacket dates from 2000 & the hood is an 87 Alpha.

View attachment 8545 View attachment 8546

Interesting and not something you see everyday BN, be nice to see some detail shots. Good looking jacket.

bn1966

Thanks Smithy :)

Will try & do some detailed shots when time allows.

The hood I very nearly didn't purchase (it was an option with the jacket) & I wanted a CWU 45 to complete my collection (all four of them inc Disco Tan CWU version).

When it arrived (UK Bay purchase) I attached the hood & was surprised by how much I like the look. Shoulder measurements were very generous compared to a same contract CWU 36 at a fraction over 23". To allow for thicker lining I guess.

Sleeves are doing a tunnel thing so I will get new cuffs & have the local seamstress shorten sleeves by about 1.5 inches.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
inc Disco Tan CWU version).

You held onto it eh? ;)

I think I mentioned in the thread you posted about your "disco jacket", how I know a couple of guys in the current US military who took one look at them and said "no way" and got their old greens out :D

Are you a committed "tan fan" and wear it out in public or is it just for the collection and around the house?

Curious people need to know!

bn1966

I did wear it to a family meal over Christmas & in low light it received some favorable comments :D. These turned to awkward silence once it was revealed in all it's glory :cool: I can appreciate the 'No Way' mindset. It owes me £15.00 so I can afford to keep it very easily despite the fact it won't make many appearances. It's mainly for the collection which has now been completed with the four CWU units I wanted. Wouldn't say no to an early CWU 45 Bi swing if one comes up at a good price though. My next target is going to be a 50's N2-A.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My next target is going to be a 50's N2-A.

Nice! Probably cost you a bit more than the recent 36 and 45 purchases ;)

I'd love to find an original L-2 in my size but I think it's probably a case of "fat chance" at least at a price which didn't make the eyes water!

bn1966

I went down the L2 route (love e'm), tried a 66 original Alpha & a 90's repro Alpha with both fitting more like a medium than the stated XL. Moved them both on. Tried a Buzz L2A (size 46) fitted more like a 44 an was reluctantly moved on. Tried a G&B 'Light MA1' in XL Reg..far too big & not the cut or texture I wanted (has become a work knock about jacket). Picked up a Chinese L2B from Alpha last year which needs shortening in length & sleeves but will then be OK IMO & probably the nearest to what I'm looking for. My holy grail would be a Vintage series 90's L2B in XL of which I've never seen one for sale. The CWU 36 thing came out out of the L2B thing. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I went down the L2 route (love e'm), tried a 66 original Alpha & a 90's repro Alpha with both fitting more like a medium than the stated XL. Moved them both on. Tried a Buzz L2A (size 46) fitted more like a 44 an was reluctantly moved on. Tried a G&B 'Light MA1' in XL Reg..far too big & not the cut or texture I wanted (has become a work knock about jacket). Picked up a Chinese L2B from Alpha last year which needs shortening in length & sleeves but will then be OK IMO & probably the nearest to what I'm looking for. My holy grail would be a Vintage series 90's L2B in XL of which I've never seen one for sale. The CWU 36 thing came out out of the L2B thing. :)

Hi BN, my nylon Holy Grail is the original L-2, no A or B, just the very early and first version L-2 from the very late 40s. Occasionally seen for sale for silly money!

bn1966

Wow..my L2 Holy Grail is a lot cheaper than yours though very elusive. :D Will start on the N2A plan when there some spare $ around (could be a while then). The mid blue Masland Contract with white / black tipped ruff on hood :cool:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
BN1966 - How does the hood attach to the CWU jacket? I've never seen buttons or zippers or anything on these jackets, although I admit my familiarity is superficial so far. And I'm guessing the nomex isn't really waterproof in UK weather? ha ha

bn1966

Hi Doc,

The hood basically buttons onto the outside of the collar. The collar has had buttons sewn on to facilitate this. It's a similar attachment set up to the M65 Parka. I must admit I only purchased the hood because it was available cheap with the jacket, to be honest I wasn't expecting to like it much with the hood on..but funnily enough I think now that it looks great. The jacket is OK for a very light April shower but that's about it.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
We were issued the hoods for our jackets, but I think only two guys actually wore them.

The Life Support shop would sew the buttons on for anyone that wanted to use them. I think they were using standard AF buttons like that are on BDUs, etc.

Mine is still in the plastic bag in my duffelbag.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
I think I mentioned in the thread you posted about your "disco jacket", how I know a couple of guys in the current US military who took one look at them and said "no way" and got their old greens out...
Monsoon said:
We were issued the hoods for our jackets, but I think only two guys actually wore them.

The Life Support shop would sew the buttons on for anyone that wanted to use them. I think they were using standard AF buttons like that are on BDUs, etc.

Mine is still in the plastic bag in my duffelbag.
Great anecdotes.
bn1966 said:
I did wear it to a family meal over Christmas & in low light it received some favorable comments. These turned to awkward silence once it was revealed in all it's glory...
I think it's the fur which put them off.

Useless trivia time: according to the technical manual for these jackets, dated 1984, the CWU 45/P jacket is re-designated the CWU 17/P when the hood is attached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925