Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN style N1 deck jacket from FOLSOM PRISON?

green papaya

One Too Many
IM005414.jpg

IM005405.jpg

IM005410.jpg

IM005406.jpg

IM005415.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twxR8L-rw3Y&feature=related

I found this old USN style N1 deck jacket at the swap meet, it says

FOLSOM STATE PRISON on the front and back with the Folsom prison embem on the front left breast

was this used by prisoners as a work coat? or is this a prison guards jacket?

it has full fleece lining inside and has a heavy duty aluminum zipper with large zipper pull tab.

also has knitted wind proof wrists inside the cuff

what era do you think this jacket is from ? is it vintage?

Jay

Practically Family
Well if prisoners wore peacoats at Alcatraz, I would'nt be surprised if they wore deck jackets at Folsom. But I don't know for sure. Certainly looks vintage, that's for sure.

Edward

Bartender
The one thing that would make me suspect it might be a "novelty garment" as opposed to genuine prison uniform wear is the Folsom / Johnny Cash link.... mind you, given the apparent age of it, I'm not sure that that's the sort of thing that folks back in the day would exactly regard as desirable - prison chic is a pretty new concept - even despite Jailhouse Rock, it seems to me. ;)

I'd have thought it more likely to be a prisoner's jacket than a guard's jacket... I presume the "minimum" to be a reference to "minimum security" categroy prisoners? Can't see any other meaning it would have - certainly not one applicable to the staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy