Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USW Cape Buffalo?

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
This is a new one for me...does anyone have any experience with cape buffalo hide? My first leather jacket was a USW Indy in goat and it lasted a dozen years of rough use before finally giving up the ghost.
That being said...anyone know anything about this kind of leather?

JB

Here's my Aero water buffalo jacket when new from several years ago. it is heavy but softer than HH and comfortable to wear. Aero doesn't offer it anymore though. I'm assuming cape buffalo is the same thing....
100_0428.JPG

dannyk

One Too Many
In my experience, Water Buffalo or even American Bison, as some just list Buffalo but dont specify which, are super similar in exactly how they wear. Very thick, heavy leather, but super soft and supple. Usually have a thick grain to them and drape wonderfully.

BGR

New in Town
I bought a cape buffalo Indy jacket from US Wings a few years ago. The leather has broken in fairly quickly and conforms nicely. It is a very tough leather, but it is not stiff like a front quarter horsehide. The leather is weathering nicely over time and has a rich texture with subtle reddish undertones. I have 2 jackets from US Wings, and they do not disappoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner