Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bangs

Smuterella

One Too Many
I followed the insturctions for the pageboy by pincurling from the Turudich book last night and its a fro again!

BUT! my fringe is quite short, just to my eyes at the moment, and I tried to curl it backwards but ended up with an accidental Betty Grable

who knew!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
Curly bangs were very popular in the 40's, too. Wish I could figure out how to do these.

Betty Hutton:
TheMiracleofMorgansCreek12335_f.jpg

My mother did this to me in '87. Cut the bangs in waaay back almost to the top of my crown and then perm, perm, perm. Cute for a 40s look, but not in the seventh grade when all the girls are wearing 80s HIGH bangs.lol

You could set your bangs in rows and rows of small rollers. the smaller the better to get that real tight curl.

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks for the tips, ShooShooBaby, ~*Red*~, and pennyseranade. I've played with a similar technique a couple times, but I thought I was outta luck b/c my "bangs" are past my chin, so they'd be too long. ShooShooBaby, I'm sure I just need to pin them more, like you did. You've got some talent, though, if you managed to make them last through the steamy hell of Satin Ballroom! :)

One question - I'm thinking of using the smallest rollers from my HotSticks set for this. Should I roll them back, forward, toward the side, toward the middle, or it just doesn't matter once it's all fluffed? (If you can't tell, I'm terrible with hair - I want everything to be too precise! lol)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie... Found these on flickr (if she is anybody's grams on here.. sorry). If your bangs are longer, you can probably use a half inch barrel curling iron to shape the roll/curl and then pin it into place. It may be a nice variant you can try out.
2196200163_6a034f0988.jpg
2196236571_b6cff7bcf5.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
LolitaHaze, that's a great picture, thanks so much for posting it! I think I might try that look instead of the poufy-er bangs - they seem easier to control with my longer hair, and I think I'll be less self-conscious! lol lol Like I said, I like everything precise and tidy, this hairstyle will suit my personality better. Also, that woman has a high hairline, similar to mine, and I like that she doesn't pull the bangs so far down her forehead. I was not looking forward to trying that.

BTW, I answered my own question above last night - I need to roll the hair forward or maybe sideways. I usually roll my hair back, and when I was taking out the curlers (for my normal 'do, I didn't have time to try anything new) I realized that rolling them back just wouldn't work. Obviously, the curls on the girl LolitaHaze posted are going sideways.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie... You are so welcome. It shocked me when I read that you were no good with hair! :eek: All the photos I have seen of your hair, I have envied and even tried to copy! I failed. :( Let us know how they curl-rolls on your head turn out. :)

Snookie

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Snookie... You are so welcome. It shocked me when I read that you were no good with hair! :eek: All the photos I have seen of your hair, I have envied and even tried to copy! I failed. :( Let us know how they curl-rolls on your head turn out. :)

Wow, that's like, the biggest compliment ever! I've got really fine hair that's spent most of my life plastered to my head, but I've been trying hard the last couple years. My skills have improved ten-fold since coming on the Lounge. I've really only got one style perfected, and it's time to branch out. Doing curly bangs has been on my to-try list for a while. (But I never seem to start my hair early enough to have time to play, so I'm sure it'll still be a while! [huh] )

Here's another pic of 40's style bangs, Ginger Rogers:
0378_rogers_life_120940.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lolita, that's a great pic of the little rolls for the bangs! Especially for those that have longer "bangs". I don't know if you can call them that after they pass your nose! hee hee!

Snookie, I didn't realize your bangs were so long. I think the pic that Lolita posted is better (and neater as you say) for long hair in the front. You *could* still get a decent fluff going, but you would have to kink it up more. Tighter curls and very small sections. It's the only way it would stay up.. especially if you're dancing! ;) You know us dancers have to really get that hair to hold. No one or two bobby pins and a quick spray. I have to do comepletely different sets for "dancing" hair than "walking around" hair.lol

OOh and I love Ginger Rogers with her hair like that. You could probably pull that off with nose length bangs at the longest. But my favorite 40's girl with bangs is Paulette Goddard. She wore them well!

The pics I've seen of both of you ladies, your hair, though different styles, excels each way.

You know, Betty Grable wore her hair "bang style" but it was always in little rolls, standing pincurls sort of. Or all her hair up and then it was set to look like bangs. And don't forget, a lot of people wore hair pieces!!;)

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i'm having bang issues. AGAIN.
i'm still growin it out after 3 months (instant growth elixir would be good right about now) and i'm having that old internal debate about whether i should just cut it back the way it was or have crap hair for the next few months and grin and bear it.
hmph. pinning it back is not an option. i have a gigantic forehead. think triceratops big. grrr.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Rolls were my friend as I grew out my fringe! Blend it into rolls and hairspray to death, and they stay put all day!

thanks missy!
i am desperatley trying to put them in rolls but my fringe is so short at the side that it won't all stay up. hmph.

i have found that fingerwaving the hell out of it and just clipping it by my ear seems to work a treat. although i'm havin to use my long crocodile clips to set them overnight as i lost my wave clips. booo. more on order though!

x

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Bangs...Vintage?

I've been thinking recently about getting some bangs cut....but I'm clueless as to what to get! What's the most vintage-versatile style? I'm kind of hopeless with rolls and pin curls anyway and mostly rely on cute hats :) I've had endless conversations with my hairdresser about it and can't really seem to get my point across with her.
Please help! I'm terrified that I'll get bangs that look awful/I can't do anything with and then be stuck through the growing-out process!
s40512574_32461918_7431.jpg
Photo16-1.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
You have a round face shape. Given that, I would stay away from bangs if I were you. They will make your face look rounder. With a round face shape, leaving your forehead exposed helps to elongate the shape of your face.

But that's just my two cents. It's only hair - if you don't like it, it will grow back.

Drea

New in Town
Well... I guess bettie bangs is probably the most notable vintage bangs style.. just google pictures of bettie page cause I think shes the person people most remember with those kind of bangs.. but if you choose to get them done make sure you go to someone who knows what their doing cause they look horrible if they are done the wrong way!! I've been getting mine since I was 15 and I just use clippers and push them on my forehead while my hair is dry.. I get the best shape this way then I curl the very ends with a small straightener.. You can also do faux bangs to see what you'd look like with them.. just do a search!!! theres tons of things on bangs!! there's also other styles besides bettie bangs that might be easier to keep up on..good luck to you :)

alexandra

Practically Family
Oh god, yesterday I decided I would try to make my bangs even curlier than they've ever been to see if it would look nice, so I took my smallest sponge rollers and did it as tight as possible on my bangs and a bit of the hair on the top of my head as if I were doing it normally...

When I woke up I had an actual afro. I don't mean just poofy, frizzy uh oh. I mean these curls were so small that it was actually an afro on the top of my head and then nice curly sides.

Needless to say, I had to wash it out. lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
alexandra said:
Oh god, yesterday I decided I would try to make my bangs even curlier than they've ever been to see if it would look nice, so I took my smallest sponge rollers and did it as tight as possible on my bangs and a bit of the hair on the top of my head as if I were doing it normally...

I've had great luck getting that Betty Grable look by pincurling my bangs.

alexandra

Practically Family
Well the look I was doing was more like...

TheMiracleofMorgansCreek12335_f.jpg

(I just googled '1940's curly bangs' and this image was from the fedora lounge lol)

And I've always been able to do it nicely with my normal sized sponge rollers. I just had some sort of epiphany where I thought smaller curls=better. I was so wrong.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
ooh, fab. do you pin them in a particular way?

Usually I want them leaning toward one side instead of straight on top of my head, so I pin them down and to the side on the diagonal, so facing my ear instead of my chin.

alexandra said:

Yeah, I pretty much consider these Betty Grable bangs. This is exactly the look I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner