Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Buco Jacket 1940's Label J-24 Style ? Age? Value? Help ? Value ?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
2nd Buco Label used from the late 1940s to about 1952. Nylon quilted lining was used first late 1952 / mid 1953. The nylon quilted lining indicate that it's probably a J23 type made from Horsehide. The pocket lining looks like a replacement*.
*Buco used a similar wool plaid lining in earlier type jackets like J21, J22 but it looks slightly different.

Worth?
As so often determines demand and offer the price. Buco leather jackets have developed a constant price in the market, less because of the quality in the earlier years, these jackets were mass products because of the name "Buco". Price determinants are factors such as rare type, state, size, completeness (including detachable mouton collar and the often missing belt). The jacket shown, has some flaws affect the price... if the jacket would be mine and I have to sell it, I would call a price from US-$ 800.00 to US-$ 1'200.00 in this condition. If everything is incl. and in better condition as shown, the jacket could fetch US-$ 2'500.00 in collector circles.

A good source are Rin Tanakas Books Motorcyle Jackets (ISBN 0-7643-1150-6 and 0-7643-1849-7), of course it's not allowed to upload pictures without permission from the publisher.

PM sent...

I don't have my reference books available right now to check, but didn't the J-23 only have a single map pocket whereas the J-24 had two?
I remember it being shown on old adverts in one of the two Rin Tanaka books, but i am not 100% sure i am right.
If i am this would indeed be a J-24 not 23.

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
@Carlos840 that could be too, that‘s why I wrote „probably“. Sometimes it is very difficult to date/identify an older item not only a leather jacket correctly. It could be label was ex-changed on shown jacket or older overstock 2nd type label were used in early produced J24 jackets. Also it could be late produced J23 Jackets were cutted after newer J24 style... there are so many possibilities and secrets which make old things and their stories behind so interesting... Btw: You can see on history advertisements Buco used the term J21, J22 etc. for their jackets, without the „-„ between J and the following number.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112