Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cafe Racer via Insurrection

HighandDry

A-List Customer
So, I never really understood the attraction of vintage stuff. Why pay almost the same price or more for something that is 40 or 50 years old? Especially growing up, my parents were always newer is better!

I saw that one of the stores here in Seattle (Insurrection) was having a sale on their version of the Vanson Comet (BTW, a really nice jacket, so give them a call if you want a good deal), so I contacted them about seeing the jackets for sizing. Wade, the salesguy, was nice enough to meet me even though they were going to be closed today.

When I got there, Wade had the Vansons, but he also had 4 or 5 vintage jackets lined up. I tried on the Vanson and it was very nice, they had lengthened the body and sleeves and the fit was very good. I then tried on the vintage jackets just to humor Wade. Big mistake.

lying.png

When I put on the jacket, it just felt so different. The cut, the feel of the leather, and the look was unlike any newer jacket. I'm relatively new to the leather coat scene, so I never felt how REALLY broken in leather feels like.

Well needless to say, Wade broke me and I ended up not saving money buying a new jacket, but spending a lot more on a really old jacket! It's a Beck cafe racer from the 60's.

front.png

back.png

front2.png

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
Looks fantastic. I've never bought a vintage leather jacket either but for a jacket like that, I don't think I could say no either.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Please advise...I am thinking of getting one of the new Comets from Wade..I like the idea of the longer in sleeve and body that he has. The fit of your vintage looks great ! How the that compare to the Comet you were trying on..i.e. was the Comet just right in the sleeve as your vintage appears to be and a little longer and below the waist like your vintage ? I would be looking for a similar fit to your vintage...what size was the Comet ...the vintage ?? Thanks...would be much appreciated...

HighandDry

A-List Customer
The sleeve was longer in the Comet, which probably is the more "correct" length and the body length was a little bit shorter, just below the belt (my vintage is 26" from the collar seam and I think the Vanson is more like 25"). I wear a 40 R suit, 5'10, 165 lb, 34/35 length shirt and the 40 in the Vanson was a very good fit. It's a very nice jacket, so I think you'll be pleased.

I noticed that the vintage jackets were cut longer in the body and Wade said that originally the Cafe racers were very short, then got longer, and now they've become shorter again.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It is a long(ish) cafe racer - and I like it better that way. The very short ones look a little strange to me. At your height it probably seems longer too. If you were 6 feet 2, say, it would look a standard length, I guess. I think jackets generally look better if they are a good few inches over the belt-line - they don't ride up that way. But it all comes down to personal taste.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm in California doing some motorcyle track stuff right now, but I know that Insurrection has 5 Custom 1930s Half Belt Slimfit jackets available too!!!

75346_1712689297959_1259942369_1835604_4177756_n.jpg

Here are the specs.:

- Slim fitting 1930s Halbelt in black front quarter horsehide. Please select the stiff hides in the standard half belt jacket weight
- Sizes 36 through 40 with 1 inch added to sleeves, 1 inch added to body length.
-Double leather (leather lined) button cuffs
-Two slanted handwarmer pockets with nickel ball and chain zip, one breast pocket with nickel ball and chain zip.
-Jacket lined with black or red drill liner.
-2 inch leather facing on the inside bottom hem.
-Nickel AERO #5 zip and nickel side buckles.
-The jacket should have two buttons at the back of the collar for a brown fur collar
- Double pointed back yoke

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari