Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cameras Still In Use

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I regularly use a 1956 Minox IIIs, shooting T-Max 100 b/w. I shoot both Tri-X and color print films in a vintage 1971 Nikon F2 (I have two, actually), and a mid-70s Olympus OM-2n.

And I have many older cameras from my parents' photo biz - a couple of 4x5 Graphics, a YashicaMat, a Mamiya RB-67, assorted 35mm cameras, and other sheet-film cameras (not to mention old 127, 828, 116, etc., rollfilm cameras, long-unsupported Polaroid models, etc.) - but I don't shoot with any of these on a regular basis.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Vintage Rollei

I use my 1933 Baby Rollei (4X4cm) as often as I can. The lens and shutter are still in good order, although the lens isn't colour corrected. It takes great black and white pictures!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have and use a Kodak 35 from 1938 -- the first 35mm camera manufactured in the United States. My first camera -- the one I earned my Girl Scout photography badge with -- was a No. 2 Brownie from c. 1920, which had been my grandmother's first camera, and which still sits on my mantel.

lord_k

One of the Regulars
It's exactly the thread I wanted to start!
Finally, I'm completely digital. But through 2007 I used a 1956 Leica III and a Russian Leica-lookalike, FED-2, of 1959 vintage (both with M39 thread). Among my older cameras were prewar Contax II and medium-format Zeiss Super Ikonta.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I could go on with a number of cameras. I'm kind of a camera nut. One of the favorites is my Kodak Retina Reflex 35mm. The first of this series that was introduced in late 1957. These were made in Germany and retailed for over $200.00 in 1958. I have all the lenses and most of the setups to go with it. I actually started in photography with a Rollfix Jr. that my dad bought new from Montgomery Ward in 1952. It is a 120 roll film fold out camera. I got a blue ribbon at the county fair with a photo I took, developed the film, and printed the enlargement from this camera. I still have the camera and have collected others. I have also used C3 Argus cameras. I've owned several over time. I have others with names like Ziess-Ikon, Voigtlander, Minolta, and Yashica. Cameras to me are like the old american express comercials. I never leave home without one. I shoot a lot of Kodachrome and Ektachrome slide film. Also Kodacolor print film, Verichrome-Pan black and white and others. I stick with the oldest films I can find. I find the slower speed films give the richest looking pictures. Especially since the cameras I use were designed with that in mind. I have a digital camera but it's only for convenience and things I need pictures fast for. For all my personal photography I am a dedicated film user.

Last edited:

Continental Op

New in Town
My "Users"

I shoot mostly with vintage cameras... here's the list of top "users":

1942 Speed Graphic Anniversary model
1936 Rolleiflex Standard
1936 Contax II
1938 Contax III

I'll have them all out this weekend (along with a 1938 Graflex 3x4) and hope to have some nice 1940's Fall shots!

Here's a link to some of my cameras if you are curious: http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo_secessionist/sets/72157594550822463/

"The pictures are there, and you just take them." - Robert Capa

Edward

Bartender
I am completely digital - as of 2003. Prior to that, I used a 1980s Konica Pop my parents bought me when I was in hospital at the age of ten (with dysentery... how vintage of me! lol ). I also remember using various 110mm cameras; my first was a little Nokia-branded point and shoot, in about 1983, I think. For general use, I adore my little digital snaps camera. If ever I wanted to get into serious photography (as opposed to snaps), I'd look for something bigger... thing is, most of the time when I want a camera on me I just want something the size of an iPod / cigarette pack / cassette tape (delete according to own age and proclivities ;) ). What I would like - as I have posted before on a specific thread - is a digital camera as good as (or better than) my little Pentax, but housed in the body of something vintage looking, for those events where I want to preserve the vintage look overall. Ideally I'd like a full size Rolliflex casing with the digital built inside. I've also recently been looking at 30s Leica bodies (sold as empty bodies), and wondering whether the guts of a modern, digital version could be retrofitted (the ideal being to buy a used model which had fine inner workings but a damaged outer case for a reduced price....). Unless retired and able to afford my own dark room, so that I could think seriously about it as a major hobby in and of itself, I don't see myself going back to film given the convenience of digital.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
The convenience of digital is great! There is always one with me as my back-up, but I think and feel film has a bit more depth. Why I shoot mostly film and Black and White at that. I did at one time, use my Pentax 35mm camera a bunch, but now as I need a wheelchair and my hands tremble a lot (Ataxia for 10 years), my cameras now are all the old and simple "box" type and all Kodak Brownies too (not by choice, but by chance). Simpler for me and better (much), as I can spend more time composing my shots now.

kps

New in Town
Can I still get film for my brownie?? I think that would be uber cool to use it.

Kodak used the Brownie brand on about a million different models. Some can take 120 roll film, which is readily available. Probably most use 620 roll film; in that case you will need one or two empty 620 spools (you camera will have them if you're lucky) and a completely dark place to re-wind 120 film onto the 620 spool. A few take 127, which you can buy from a couple specialty shops online. Assuming you shoot colour film, 120 can actually be developed by the majority of minilabs in supermarkets, drug stores, etc.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
Kodak used the Brownie brand on about a million different models. Some can take 120 roll film, which is readily available. Probably most use 620 roll film; in that case you will need one or two empty 620 spools (you camera will have them if you're lucky) and a completely dark place to re-wind 120 film onto the 620 spool. A few take 127, which you can buy from a couple specialty shops online. Assuming you shoot colour film, 120 can actually be developed by the majority of minilabs in supermarkets, drug stores, etc.

This is all very true and if you P.M. me with what Kodak Brownie you have, maybe I can help. I have a few Brownies and all shoot 120 film, just some are more hassle to convert then others.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have and use a Kodak 35 from 1938 -- the first 35mm camera manufactured in the United States. My first camera -- the one I earned my Girl Scout photography badge with -- was a No. 2 Brownie from c. 1920, which had been my grandmother's first camera, and which still sits on my mantel.

I believe the Argus A 35mm camera manufactured in Ann Arbor Michigan in 1936 came earlier. I have one of those that belonged to my father, but I haven't used it in years.

argus.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Regarding the "first" 35mm camera, American or otherwise...

There had been still cameras made that used 35mm movie film for years (notably the early Leicas), but it was the German-made Kodak Retina of 1934 that introduced the standard rewindable 35mm cartridge that's still in use today. I'd say that's really where 35mm as we know it starts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak_Retina

bd3

New in Town
I have a 1942 Speed Graphic 4 x 5. I shoot mainly black and white with it as I can process it here at home. Amazing clarity. I also have some old Polaroid roll film cameras as well as some old Polaroid "pack" film cameras. All pre automatic. The ones I have you have to pull the picture out of it and peel it apart. I had a very nice Nikon 35mm until someone decided they needed it more than me......oh well.

I'm contemplating going digital. Toying with the idea of a Canon T1i or a T2i although I think it will be hard to beat the photo quality of the Graphic.

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have my Grandfathers Zeiss Ikon Tenax that he picked up just days after D-Day from "a German fellow that wouldn't be needing it any more". I will get photos of the real camera soon but here is a web photo of the type of camera I am refering too - His is in pretty good condition and I still use it, however the leather case is a bit rough.

Oddly enough my Grandmother told me that he picked the camera up during WWII but it was not until after my Grandmother passed that we found a letter he wrote referring to finding/recovering the camera and the quote above.

I am sure the camera isn't worth much, but it is one of my most prized possessions!

tenax1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic