Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Camping Equipment

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang,

Yet another question here, regarding vintage hiking/camping gear.

Does anyone know of any sources of vintage style tents, gear etc?? I have a civilian Coleman stove with aluminum canister to start. But I'd like to have a basic pup-tent, sleeping bag, etc that would be appropriate for a 1937-41 civilian style camp-out. Or even just adds or catalogs that I could use as a guide to have the stuff made.

I've debated just having a period-esque tarp made for tentage. But I need stuff that's sort of compact to fit on the fender of my motorcycle and/or within the saddlebags if possible. So something purpose-designed to be portable would be best.

I'm hoping to attend Reading 2009 in full kit, and camp there ala 1941/42.

Thanks as always !

Clint

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the link. I did search through and there is indeed a good bit of info. But lacking the real "nuts and bolts" stuff like canteens, sleeping bags, small tents, etc that would have been in use during this period.

I did search various sites and narrow down my lantern search to Coleman 242 and 243 models. Found a Coleman 242 dated 1941 for sale. So at least I've got light and the ability to heat food.

I'm searching now for old Sears catalogs in hopes of looking through the out-door section so I can know what is correct. I've found "old timey" sleeping bags, canteens, etc in various antique/vintage stores but wouldn't know 1930s from 1950-60s.

Thanks,
Clint

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I think this thread would be a great place to concentrate the camping gear, even if there is some overlap from the Adventure Gear thread. Love that thread, of course; after all, it is my second home, but it is really difficult to track down a particular post when in, say, six months I'm ready for a new canteen! If only we had a room dedicated to Golden Age outdoor pursuits where we could concentrate this wealth of knowledge... (hint, hint, MK!)

Specifically on canteens, I've been carrying a British P-37 canteen (or more correctly, a "water bottle") with the skeleton carrier almost daily for years now, and it is just as tough as can be. I use one of the P-37 braces as a shoulder strap, and it works perfectly.

C003259thumb.jpg

The only thing I've ever had to do was replace the cork. For an earlier period canteen, you can always get the P-08 pattern. Since you're looking for the 1937-1941 period, though, the 37 pattern is perfect. I've heard, though, that the actual period canteens (those with blue enamel as opposed to green enamel) should be avoided due to questions of either materials or the ability to properly sanitize them.

What Price Glory has good prices on all the parts, and also offers replacement corks (they can get gross after a while). IMA offers the 1903 version in leather, though they are a bit worse for wear and I found the strap to be too short.
BA2002.jpg

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Hello... Nice topic...I love tent camping! It's nice to see people still do that. Everyone I know belive motorhomes are really roughing it.

Coleman canister pump-style stoves are great, but mine is clogged. How do you unclog the thing? It sits in storage now.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Vintage camping

My Grandparents did a lot of camping so did my folks I now car camp when ever I can Nevada outback and Eastern Sierra are my play ground
As for camping in the late 1930's mostly what was used was what they had @ home . I remember stories as a kid of the china being taken camping not the good stuff mind you but the everyday stuff. It was after the war that a lot of surplus gear came into use. My Grandmother into the 1960's used sheets and blankets when camping, she made the bed up each day so no sleeping bags for her.
To day I use a mix of old and new
Coleman two burner stove white gas
Coleman lantern was my grandparents from the late 1940's
For sleeping I use a cowboy bed roll some times with a sleeping bag some times with sheets and blankets
Have a tent mid 1980's north face dome or if weather is nice then under the stars on a cot, to old to sleep on the ground that's for the young pups.
Motor homes not for me though am slowly building up a new desert truck that will have a tent that is on the top ( a very handy thing to keep away from snakes etc they are used in South Africa and OZ where the locals can be unfriendly )
As for finding a vintage tent try the outfitters who supply the horse packers

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
To really camp out "like the old days" take a tarp and some rope, find two trees that close together and use the line and tarp to make your own shelter.
Camp stoves? Not really as much fun as a dug out fire pit ringed with rocks and a grill grate for cooking.
Vintage camping equipment should only consist of an old shotgun, an old shovel and an old knife- maybe an old hatchet or axe!

shortbow

Practically Family
Two books I believe I recommended in the A. Gear thread, but bear repeating.

The original old bible: "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart

And a modern book, a real pleasure to read and as a resource: "Camping in The Old Style," by David Wescott.

Concerning lanterns, may I suggest the alternative of either kerosene lantern or the type of Stonebridge folding brass and mica candle lantern first brought out at the turn of the century.

They're safer, no hiss and clank, the kerosene jobs will burn all nite and both are way less fussy. I especially recommend the vintage Dietz company examples, although they still make lots of models yet today.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Civil War reenactor resources. Seems like a lot of that equipment was still around in the early twentieth century and served as patterns for quite a bit of the civilian camping gear from the era as well.

-Dave

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Kephart

shortbow said:
The original old bible: "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart

Kephart's great; I refer to Camping and Woodcraft more often than I do The Complete Walker, Colin Fletcher's modern backpacker's bible (though it's a great resource as well). I'm constantly amused by the "discovery" of lightweight and ultralight backpacking in the recent past, made possible by modern technology and performance materials. Kephart was advocating lightweight and minimalist gear back in 1911! His packweight was well within modern parameters for "lightweight backpacking" and sometimes even lower. My favorite quote from him is that we don't go to the woods to rough it, we get it rough enough at home. We go to the woods to smooth it.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Vintage Tentage

If you're looking for a pup-tent and going for 1941-42 why not get an old Army shelter half? It's basically two pieces of canvas that button down the ridge with two poles and ropes. Many original WWII ones can be had at surplus stores/catalogs and at gun shows for under $20. The style didn't change at all well into the 90's when I think they were discontinued, so even if you got one from the 80's it would look like it was new in the 40's.
For some different styles try Dixie Gunworks or Track of the Wolf for Baker tents. That's essentially half a wall tent. My Scout Troop used those into the 80's.
A wood framed cot would complete the picture in a Backer tent.

-Eric

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang, thanks for all the ideas and input. For the time being, I think the simple tarp idea is best. I had thought of using a reproduction WW1 G.I. tent and claiming to have purchased from Bannermans in the '30s :)

I'll post images of my Coleman stove and lantern in a couple days. I do not know how to unclog the stove though... Sorry !!!

Depending on the time of year, a nice fire is nice. But for a quick meal on the road, or a monrning cup o' joe, my Coleman will be perfect !

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check out this place in Seattle. One of the last old-fashioned military surplus dealers around. We got loads of stuff there for South Pacific this summer, including a great WWII era tent. They've even got the machine for stamping out dogtags - everyone in the cast got them with their name, cast name & show name.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
On my last trek to the mountains I carried a 8x8 oilskin tarp and Whitney blanket tied to my rucksack. The tarp and blanket make a warm bed with the end tied off with a bit of rope or I can sting up the tarp as a shelter. For heating up my tea in the morning I used a tommy cooker, I prefer using a campfire for cooking but there were fire restrictions at the time. As lighting I had a few candles and a modern headlamp for emergencies.

I also found Kephart's book to be a useful source for old time camping.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've found that Lightweight Backpacking by Charles L. Jansen is helpful in showing how to minimize the amount of gear one carries. I've had this little book for about 30 years.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
To really camp out "like the old days" take a tarp and some rope, find two trees that close together and use the line and tarp to make your own shelter.
Camp stoves? Not really as much fun as a dug out fire pit ringed with rocks and a grill grate for cooking.
Vintage camping equipment should only consist of an old shotgun, an old shovel and an old knife- maybe an old hatchet or axe!
lol That may have worked when I was 20, but this is my idea of camping now!

mobile_tentExtView_br2.jpg

I used to go camping on my motorcycle, using my shelter half when it was damp or rainy, and just rolling up in my poncho liner. I kept a .380 under the spare clothes I used as a pillow, and could fit everything I needed into a shoulder ditty bag. Now I only take what will fit in the bed of my truck. :p

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
KY Gentlemen, I like your idea of camping, but I camp a lot in Socal, and they you can't make your own fire ring. If I may add a couple of other things... Buck knife and a dog. Hey, I'm a woman and camp with just my son. ;)

I dream of camping where it's unpopulated. Even dispersed camping has people!!! It isn't like when I was a kid. California has over stimulated me. There is no getting away here. :/

Anyone buy a hunting tent? I don't hunt, but the tents in Cabella's cataolg are nice. Maybe not vint., but it serves a purpose.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Mojave Jack- if I was given the option I would definetly choose your camping gear over a tarp!

Lareesie Ladavi- given the fire situation in CA. I bet campfires are not a good idea. Luckily camping in this part of the country is a little less risky in that area. We're fortunate here to be able to do a lot of remote, primative camping with very little worries about other campers, extreme forest fire hazards (if you follow basic fire saftey), etc.
I have found some good deals on camping equipment like hunting type tents at campingworld.com if you are looking for camping gear. Enjoy the outdoors however you can I say!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran