Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" Christian Dior tux

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
OK, so here's the story. I went to this little boutique downtown with a lady friend of mine. This elderly Russian seamstress runs it, and she mostly does women's clothing, but I figured I'd ask if she'd be able to tailor some eBay suits for me. She said she'd definitely be able to take a suit and make it nice and slim fitting for me.

Now... here's where it gets interesting. She says she has this Christian Dior tuxedo, it's from the 80's, here's a link to a pic and description of the EXACT one.

http://www.rustyzipper.com/shop.cfm/rz/viewpartnum~78951/backtorow~7/maxshow~20/startshow~1/SIZE~/ERA~ALL/TYPE~Formal%20Wear/SEARCH~/GENDER~Mens/PRICE~ALL/SITE~rustyzipper/78951.cfm

It's grey wool with satin and stuff... so here's my question.. I know it's 80's and all, but I figure with the peak lapel and the wool, it's pretty classic, and is maybe something that I could accessorize right and make look more 50's. I was thinking of pairing it with a black bow tie, and some good cuff links, maybe a pocket square.. and i'm not sure about shoes. Black and white wing tips?

And where would be appropriate to wear this? It's sort of a "casual" tuxedo, but I dint know if I'd want to dress it down at all. I'm getting it for $100, including all the tailoring, etc.

Did I waste my money? Am I the only person in the world who likes this? (I know that's all that matters, but I want some other opinions. Be honest).

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'm worried more about the herringbone pattern and the satin accents, they may be a bit too "gaudy" for the vintage style i'm looking for... but a $100 tailored tux is hard to pass up.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well I already have pounced on it. :) I put a $40 deposit on it, and it's being sewn up for me this week. That online pic is just an example of one exactly like the one I got.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well thank you! I'm glad you think so. For some reason it reminds me of the kind of thing someone would wear to some Southern ball, or on a party out on a yacht or something.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Pics

OK, I just got it back from the tailors today, and it looks and fits great. Here are some pics, so, what does everyone think? Is it ugly?

100_1213.jpg

I'll be getting an actual tuxedo shirt, as well as a bow tie and cummerbund soon, so, it'll look more formal.

100_1216.jpg

100_1214.jpg

It's sort of borderline between tuxedo and suit, the only big tuxedo feature is the satin piping on the pants.

100_1218.jpg

Any ideas on an appropriate place to wear such a thing? It's not super formal, yet not too casual... but I definitely like it.

Special Occasions or making an Occasion Special

Formal is usually connected with an event or an occasion that one is invited to attend. BUT, such a tux will do well for a dinner with a date, out to see a broadway show, going to a classical concert or the opera. Tell your date your intentions of formal (yet stylish) attire. Flowers such as corsage and butoniere (SP) would go well.

I think it is a good thing you got that tux, it helps to elevate the eligance of an evening. A little dressed up sometimes helps make an occasion special. ;) .

shindeco

A-List Customer
Looks good! Wear it wherever you want (as long as it's after 6:00, of course. It is evening wear!) You could also keep on the lookout for a pair of black evening trousers and wear the jacket as an alternative to the white dinner jacket.

Is it me or is there a button missing?? The pictures make it look like it's buttoned as a double breasted jacket (viz. larger crossover) but it also only seems to have one button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn