Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage crawling for a B3

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Howdy Fedora loungers
I'm a longtime lurker at this fine establishment and A life long sufferer of what in today's world is a quirky obsession with old school quality and design. As a younger denizen of this world of style class and that old panache and listing my occupation as student i request your assistance. most of my leather acquisitions due to my student sized budget are thrift store treasures (most tamer designs from the 60S and 70S). However recently you have influenced me to look at some more classic cuts. In particular recently I've fallen hard for the B3. to my surprise there are reasonable amounts of used B3 or B3 inspired jackets in the second hand shops in my current hat hanging city of London. My question to you fellow Loungers what pitfalls and marks of quality should i be on the look out for in terms of price, quality, wear, etc. Also what characteristics should I be on the lookout for for that authentic B3 look.

Metatron

One Too Many
It's actually a bit tricky to do a forum search with just 'B3' unless you add the repro maker name, I'd go with 'Aero B3' or 'Eastman B3' for your search.
If you are thrifting for vintage copies, then I would mainly compare the look against that of the original. You can't be too picky if you want a bargain though. Otherwise, I would check that the material is real sheepskin.

Also check the forum 'Vintage Leather Jackets' which caters 90% to flight jackets.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Gentlemen thank you so much for your help since i made this post I spent some time reading through the forums to set up criteria to look for in a used B3 and then went on the hunt. Unfortunately as it can be the case from time to time with infatuations they don't last. In this case it was all me the jackets looked great many were the right size and most were reasonably accurate and their Prices weren't sky high. however i just couldn't find an angle where i liked the look when the jackets were on me. So for now the search is on hold

Corky

Practically Family
Don't abandon the quest too quickly...

Here's a lightly used, good quality civilian B-3 you might be interested in:

7080b.jpg

This is a size 44 BRANDED B-3 - by Orchard Motorcycles

(See this link for an image, plus the manufacturer's description and retail price)

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Used B3's can get reasonable prices since so many makers make them. Also, I think many underestimate the warmth they provide. There's no doubting how cool they are. Classic, and functional. Just don't go near rose bushes (trees) like I did. Thankfully, it was a repro of mid-level quality. It went to Good Will, so someone got warmth that needed it.
Used Avirex (The Cockpit) and Schott and US Wings are very reasonable, and well made. Check here in the Classifieds and on Ebay, etc.
Good luck. It's like the potato chips - you can't buy just one! lol

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Sorry corky I might be interested but size is looking a little small for me. Butte you may have dissuaded me from completely abandoning my search. it is going on the back burner for reasons of weather if i was back in the big sky country the warmth from a B3 would be justified throughout the clear crisp winter. However I am in London and the surrounding towns for at least The next 3 winter seasons and in the drab damp and frankly balmy winters over here I'm afraid i would melt in a B3. so will be keeping a lookout for one and if i find one ill get it on long enough to snap some pics for the lounge and then take it back to Montana when I visit for the holidays.

oh and if anyone is interested below is my shopping list for a B3 the list structure is my standard one any time im looking at a new acquisition . As you can see authenticity is not of major concern but if the Fine gents of the lounge have any suggestions my ears are open. Cheers folks

MUST HAVE
proper fit
real sheepskin
quality
Reinforcing patches
seal brown
white wool

WOULD BE GOOD
inside pocket
hand warmer pockets
side waist buckles/D rings
character with room for more

NONE OF THIS
poncy JUNK
branding

Last edited:

xt40

Familiar Face
Sorry corky I might be interested but size is looking a little small for me. Butte you may have dissuaded me from completely abandoning my search. it is going on the back burner for reasons of weather if i was back in the big sky country the warmth from a B3 would be justified throughout the clear crisp winter. However I am in London and the surrounding towns for at least The next 3 winter seasons and in the drab damp and frankly balmy winters over here I'm afraid i would melt in a B3. so will be keeping a lookout for one and if i find one ill get it on long enough to snap some pics for the lounge and then take it back to Montana when I visit for the holidays.

oh and if anyone is interested below is my shopping list for a B3 the list structure is my standard one any time im looking at a new acquisition . As you can see authenticity is not of major concern but if the Fine gents of the lounge have any suggestions my ears are open. Cheers folks

MUST HAVE
proper fit
real sheepskin
quality
Reinforcing patches
seal brown
white wool

WOULD BE GOOD
inside pocket
hand warmer pockets
side waist buckles/D rings
character with room for more

NONE OF THIS
poncy JUNK
branding
Personally i prefer the real pattern and think the knee length fit is wrong but apart from that i think that this what you want.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?60593-My-new-Cirrus-B3-gunner-jacket

Panacheman

Familiar Face
yep looks about right the wool has a little more color then i was looking for but seeing it there I have no real objections to it and i agree a bit long in the fit for this cut and my tastes. We shall see if something similar pops up in my travels. If it does, for the right price, i sincerely doubt i will be able to pass on it

Panacheman

Familiar Face
So i was up at brick lane and Cheshire street this past weekend found several B3s only one fit most of the criteria and at an acceptable price but fit still did not come together. This seems to be a regular problem for me with this jacket (see above post) I'm wondering if I just haven't found the right jacket or maybe haven't found the right cut. Ive noticed some jackets on eBay and around the web that are essentially B3s with a cross zip instead of a vertical one usually called an Aviator jacket I'm wondering if this change in cut might help with the fit and if it would be an acceptable alternative.
Also If there are any Londoners in the lounge with some suggestions where else to be looking for second hand/vintage items I would appreciate it.
always a pleasure gentlemen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy