Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE DINNER DATE IN LONDON

MissHannah

One Too Many
It's my fabulous boy's 38th birthday this week and I would like to take him out to dinner somewhere with a vintage feel, so I need some recommendations. All suggestions ranging from deco opulence to tiki kitsch will be appreciated :)

Salv

One Too Many
You could try The Automat in Dover Street, just off Picadilly. It advertises itself as an American brasserie, and has a sort of 1920s New York look about it:

image16.jpg

Or there's The Diner in Ganton Street, Soho, just off Carnaby Street, which reminds me of 50s Googie architecture:

13.jpg

For a real, authentic American diner you can try Fatboy's Diner, which was featured in a scene in the Gwyneth Paltrow film Sliding Doors. It's not easy to get to, is only open to 5pm during the week, and to 3pm on Saturday, and only takes cash or cheques ... but it's the only authentic diner in London so is worth a visit at some point.

Image-DC660278D2B611DA.jpg

I've got some more photos here.

If you fancy a trip out to Ashford in Kent there is another authentic American diner in a garden centre. It used to be called the Riverview Diner, and was located on the banks of the Susquehanna River, just north of Harrisburg, PA. Website here and some interior photos here.

DSCN0644.jpg

lyburnum

Practically Family
Don't know if you already got a look at this already, but this is All Star Lanes Holborn (down the road from Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes)

Restaurant (next to lanes):

gallery_02.jpg

Cocktail bar:

gallery_03.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What do they call reviving an old thread? Necro something or other. Rather than start a new thread I revived this one. If visiting and travel arouse your curiosity then you might like to click on the link. It's a documentary by one of the UK's television channels and it follows the river Thames from it's source right to it's estuary at the sea, taking in many iconic sights along the way. The Thames is, of course, the river that runs through London. Each episode is an hour long, I hope that it works outside the UK and if you have, or have seen similar documentaries in your part of the world, do share, even if it's off topic to the thread tittle.

https://www.my5.tv/the-thames-britains-great-river-with-tony-robinson/season-1/episode-1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner