Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OMG, I am just shocked that y'all like that pic, lol! Hm, maybe I should show the fellers?[huh]
I can only raise my right eye! I tried squinting more once while taking an old time photo. The gal told me I looked mean. I don't remember what it looked like because I didn't buy that one.

RED, you are SO flippin gorgeous. I love your brows in all pics. You have the most awesome brow bones tho. I'm so jealous. I wish I had your skin color too. What red were you using on your hair in the middle pic? What an AWESOME photo, very glamorous!!!
Nikki

MissHannah

One Too Many
Red - your brows look so fabulously mischievous in the second shot! And I love that twist thing at the front of your hair - what had you done with it?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
:eek: Thanks ladies!

Miss Hannah, I think that's why I enjoyed drawing them on for so long.. They went with my mood.. lol And the roll thing, it was actually an accident gone GOOD! I did side rolls (victory rolls?) with a side part, it was a regular do for me...But this time, for some reason, it kept wanting to fall in the front, well I thought it looked nice, so I pinned it anyways, and wah-lah!

This particular set was using a 1.5" curling in the front and a 2" curling iron for the back. (my lazy cheat ways;) )

Ohairas, In the first red pic with the polka dot blouse, I was using ...I think it was Garnier Hot Tamale with 30V dev.
In the second one with the blue dress, I was using Wella Color Charm Red-Red.. it was a color infuser at the time and I used it with 30V dev. Now it's a regular color and doesn't come out as bright.:(
Thanks! and btw, I really wish I could have a straight face and look as beautiful as you.:D

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
Red - your brows look so fabulously mischievous in the second shot! And I love that twist thing at the front of your hair - what had you done with it?

Yah!! Reminds me of Jessica Rabbit,grrr baby!
Redinallherglory.jpg

jrabbit.jpg

Emblaze

Familiar Face

You are completely beautiful, you know that?

I've tried many a time to do the "Watch it, buster" Eyebrow Raise of Death, and can barely get either one to move even a millimetre. No fair! I want to look haughty! This is the best I can do:

eyebrowraiseofdeath.jpg

Naama

Practically Family
Embalze, please don't be offendet, but I think you're just too cute to look naughty lol

Naama

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas, you are one incredibly gorgeous woman! You can look both very sassy and very sweet (perfect Rose dressup).
~*Red*~, that blue color is amazing on you.
MissHannah, my brows are naturally black.

I got a couple of pictures of me with the red hair and with my natural brows, excuse the expressions, these are the only closeups I have of my new haircolor. The second picture ended up having a red glow, so the first picture best shows my skin and eyebrow color as it is.

What do you gals think, should I color the brows red or leave them as they are?

2355891823_7deabdd6e9.jpg

2355965357_71396f0810.jpg

This is my natural brow and hair color together:
2356721904_a41310e9e6.jpg

I say leave them!!! I was thinking about doing my hair red again, but was so unsure. I never bothered about my brows before, and I've decided I shall take the plunge again. Miss Hannah pulls off the look fantastically well. Yay for red hair!!

I started shaving my brows because I can't be bothered to keep up the plucking any more. I accidentally went a bit too far and now I have half the normal size eyebrows lol

Blondie

Practically Family
I once bleached my eyebrows so i could pencil them into a really high arch,
the unfortunate thing was, if i didn't pencil them, i looked like an extra
off the set of Star Trek :eek:

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Blondie said:
I once bleached my eyebrows so i could pencil them into a really high arch,
the unfortunate thing was, if i didn't pencil them, i looked like an extra
off the set of Star Trek :eek:

One of the reasons I hate being a natural blonde... having to fill them in every morning! And sometimes the makeup wears off a bit which just looks, well - :eek:

I prefer the eyebrow shapes from the 40's and 50's so I keep mine nice and full and really exaggerate the arch. I also loved Nicole Kidmans eyebrows in Moulin Rouge, the way they were really drawn out at the ends, but I don't have the facial features to pull off that look :( Is this period correct, or just an invention of the makeup artist? Here's a close up:
sc002.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Really, dyeing your brows is totally a personal preference. I prefer it on myself. I think you're brows look good dark with the red hair. But if you want to experiment, You could dye them red, and if you hate them you can dye them back. And if you can't wait, you just color them in brown powder or mascara. I've done it before. I used to bright orange hair cut real short..pixie-ish... I was growing it out and wore a brown bobbed wig, I used mascara to color the sides of my orange hair that would poke out. It works!;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Gee thanks ladies, you all make me blush!!

Laura, you're one of the most gorgeous lasses I've ever seen, really.... those eyes, that skin... Weren't we talking about girl crushes in the hair thread? LOL.. well, you'd be one of mine!

I think your brows look devine as they are, esp. since your eyes are dark. But you could get an auburn pencil and see what you think too...

I also like both the red and dark hair on you. The dark makes me want to dye mine!
Nikki

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Gee thanks ladies, you all make me blush!!

Laura, you're one of the most gorgeous lasses I've ever seen, really.... those eyes, that skin... Weren't we talking about girl crushes in the hair thread? LOL.. well, you'd be one of mine!

I think your brows look devine as they are, esp. since your eyes are dark. But you could get an auburn pencil and see what you think too...

I also like both the red and dark hair on you. The dark makes me want to dye mine!
Nikki

Oh my, you are too sweet. You make me blush.
I think there are so many great ladies in here, I love you all. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure most of you all know what a fan I am of the dear Vivien... but I thought her brows always looked horrid. Always jig jaggedy, and drawn too heavily in my opinion. Even while reading up on GWTW, I saw that David O Selznick asked that Viv's brows be made more natural looking.
63dd_1.JPG

HARTLEYvivian11.jpg

Frankly I've never cared for Liz's brows being so heavy either. If they had just not penciled over them they would've been pretty.
039_9228.jpg

Look pretty nice here,
1059014379_osquiz-liz.jpg

I wonder how much of their brow issues were from personal taste, or what Hollywood wanted for them. I'm sure Liz's were very Hollywood after a while, but my... so overdone.
Nikki

Smuterella

One Too Many
I don't think Liz's were overdone, she had very dark hair and hence very dark brows, so having them neatly plucked against her pale skin would cause a rather extreme effect, Viv's were odd though - a strange shape.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
I don't think Liz's were overdone, she had very dark hair and hence very dark brows, so having them neatly plucked against her pale skin would cause a rather extreme effect, Viv's were odd though - a strange shape.

Yes, they were naturally dark and thick, so I don't get the need to pencil over them and make em look cakey like the first pic. [huh] LIke I said, they look pretty in the second pic, left more natural.
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo