Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

P

Paul

Several years ago I tryied ro have my eyebrows, I tried several salons and either had my eyebrows waxed or shaped with tweezers into a more feminine shape, this was not too successful becuse they tended no to understand that I wanted a feminine shape yet not just as thin or arched as some still with a feminine look.

Today I decided to have another go and went to a new salon, and have them treaded , the nice lady seam to grasp the concept very well while they need another treatment to get a final shape that they or I ( question mark here ) can maintain
They not as arched as some, thinner than many and thicker than others, as she explained and we all know a lot of the shape is to do your face shape.
Next time I might try to get them arched a touch more and slightly thinner, I try to put a photo here on Monday night.

P

Paul

This is my new eye brow shape, I not just too sure how femine it is,!:)
eye.jpg

Christy

One of the Regulars
Brow Advice

I need some help with my eyebrows! My eyebrows have always bothered me. My eyebrows are slightly different shapes and I also don't like the shape of them. No matter what I do I can't get them to look the same. I used to go to a salon and have them waxed so that they'd look the same, but even the lady said their wasn't much she could do. Year before last I used to tweeze them very thin. I fill them in with a pencil.

Anyway, I need help with how to get them the shape that I want. I want a nice arched eyebrow. Do they make eyebrow stencils?

Any help is much appreciated! :)

zendy

A-List Customer
They do make eyebrow stencils, I've seen them at Sally's and other beauty supply shops. One think that always amazed me is the way my grandmother used to do her brows. She would leave the wider center parts and tweeze the heck out of the rest from just before the arch outward.Then she would draw the shape she wanted and they always looked fantastic. I haven't seen anyone do it that way besides her, but it's always an option.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thank you, I'll have to check Sally's. I more so have a problem with the center part of my eyebrow, towards the nose. One is round shaped and smaller and the other is longer and more angular. When I try to tweeze them to look the same, one will always get too thin. Also one seems to have a higher arch than the other.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Arched Brows

chanteuseCarey said:
I was wearing 30s clothes for the ADSC Gatsby Summer Afternoon last Sunday. So I took the plunge and tweezed them myself to be a 30s look. Here they are with eyebrow pencil elongating them at the ends just the requisite bit.
374295872.jpg
:eusa_clap GOOD JOB!!! the whole tilted head,chin viewed photo WITH brows so reminded me of beautiful MISS HARLOW! SHE<IMHO> had the best arched brows of alll time!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Christy said:
I need some help with my eyebrows! My eyebrows have always bothered me. My eyebrows are slightly different shapes and I also don't like the shape of them. No matter what I do I can't get them to look the same. I used to go to a salon and have them waxed so that they'd look the same, but even the lady said their wasn't much she could do. Year before last I used to tweeze them very thin. I fill them in with a pencil.

Anyway, I need help with how to get them the shape that I want. I want a nice arched eyebrow. Do they make eyebrow stencils?

Any help is much appreciated! :)
Your brows look swell in the photo with your posts!they don't look odd!I've got a "eye" for this stuff & havign taken several face/potriate(sp) courses you will find EVERYONES face is divided into 3rd's & not only that one 1/2 of your face is always "different" but unless you us a caliper you'll never ever visually see the diffrences!
Your eyebrows are beautiful!don't mess with great!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Full on lazy!

I got so busy with college work & life in general a few years ago I had my entire face tattooed!(yep! full on permanate makeup!)lips,liner,eyeliner,eyebrows,highlighting on the cheeks the whole kitten-kaboodle!!
getting up for the graveyard shift at a hospital,then a nap befor college, then a nap befor work then a nap befor the hospital shift again....I barely had time to shower,Grab n' Go food & LOTS of "JOE" so in order to be my feminine mostest I decided permanate was best for me!plus not only that my eyesight was going to get bad as I aged so I wanted to see what the lifespan of it would be!so far it's been 5 years & it's gotten more vivid!the tattoo artist I chose was a "salty dawg(dog)"but he knew his stuff![Thanks tom!] my hair color changes so do my eyebrows!It's amazing!every hair color I change to the eyebrows miraculously blend! it's amazing to me!
So that's an option too!

Lollipop

Familiar Face
1*Cool*Kitten said:
I got so busy with college work & life in general a few years ago I had my entire face tattooed!(yep! full on permanate makeup!)lips,liner,eyeliner,eyebrows,highlighting on the cheeks the whole kitten-kaboodle!!
!

Nu uh...That is too awesome. I'd love to do that..Imagine(Well..YOU Can.) never having to do much(anything at all.) for make up...But I tis petrified of needles, or anything like a needle. So, No tattoos for me. But that is super cool.

Sorry, For bringing this slightly :eek:fftopic:

Now, For one of my many questions:

How do you make a arch for a vinage shape with a eyeliner pencil?

I've been using eyeliner to fill in my eyebrows due to the fact that I ended up pulling too much hair off the end of my eyebrow.
My eyebrows are much thicker(and less shorter, with a tiny arch on the right side.) and less 1920 shape than my eyebrows in my Avatar...But I've tried to get them arched at the school, But they were still too thin(which I can't help..I'm a Eyebrow waxing addict. :D ) to do. So...How do I fake a arch? Is is possible?

Just to add: I read something about it on here, I think, But now I can't find the page...So, sorry if this has come up!

Inky

One Too Many
You can fake anything with makeup ;)

Try some eyebrow stencils and powder with a setting medium - at least for me brow powder works better, but your mileage may vary and you may like a pencil better. There are also brow markers but I personally didn't like the result with that.

Do you have a sephora nearby? They can really help you trying out different things before you commit to buying.

Here's sephora's result when you search for "eyebrow stencil"

http://tinyurl.com/yhpe7ae

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Thanks!

Nope, No Sephoras...I have a Sallys, Cosmo Prof, CB Sullivan, and a walmart nearby, though...Would any of the above have the eyebrow "stuff"?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christy said:
I more so have a problem with the center part of my eyebrow, towards the nose. One is round shaped and smaller and the other is longer and more angular. When I try to tweeze them to look the same, one will always get too thin. Also one seems to have a higher arch than the other.

Hi, I am your clone :)

My right eyebrow is perfect - It is full and angular, with a great arch. My left one is too short, with a barren excuse for an arch and tail. I wax my crappy one with the same technique I use for my right, and it always comes out much thinner, albeit a similar shape. I just fill it in to look the same as the other one, since I colour them both charcoal. The last estheticians I worked with were amazed how perfect they looked - Many will ask if they are tattooed on.

Updo3004edit-1.jpg

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the help everyone!

I so wish I had a Sephora near by! When they first opened I was ecstatic but the closest one to me is 4 hours away, but they're makeup heaven!

C-dot, we do sound like eyebrow twins. Your eyebrows look great though!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christy said:
Thank you for the help everyone!

I so wish I had a Sephora near by! When they first opened I was ecstatic but the closest one to me is 4 hours away, but they're makeup heaven!

C-dot, we do sound like eyebrow twins. Your eyebrows look great though!

You poor thing, no Sephora nearby! :eek: I've got 2 within a half hour's drive. Maybe you'll be lucky, and make the trip soon!

PS. Thanks, I like yours too! :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ingrid's eyebrows were a statement - David O. Selznick sold her as the only "natural girl" in Hollywood, because she refused to pluck her brows or cap her teeth. She was very low fuss, happily chopping off her hair to play Maria in For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(Trivia: Ernest Hemingway warned her she would have to cut her hair off to play Maria. "To get that part," she said, "I'd chop my head off!")

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Gosh, thanks 1*Cool! I always have my brows 40s style now as that is my vintage decade and the best look in general for my brows. But for a thirties style I just had to do them thinner. They are still growing back still. I can NEVER get them even myself, and with bad eyesight after too many years of sitting on the edge of a sink with my feet in the sink, I finally gave up on doing them myself. After burning my face too often having them waxed, I now have them threaded by my Persian aestetician. She does an excellent job for me and tints them for me too- no more plucking the white and blonde brows out!

Was just playing around with this pose, wish I'd had the synthetic eyelash extensions on for this pic! SOME day I would love to get a real portrait photo shoot done in a vintage style by a vintage style professional photographer with the proper lighting,backdrop and pro camera wearing the full shebang- hair, nails, lashes, all the vintage garb etc.

1*Cool*Kitten said:
:eusa_clap GOOD JOB!!! the whole tilted head,chin viewed photo WITH brows so reminded me of beautiful MISS HARLOW! SHE<IMHO> had the best arched brows of alll time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko