Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Freak

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
It was a warm nice day as I parked my car at my workplace, with windows rolled down enjoying the fresh air and playing my ragtime music with Frankie Carle at the piano. Nothing could be more perfect as I imagine being transported back to the ragtime years on a warm sunny day. Suddenly I heard big booms from a subwoofer as a car pulled up by my side playing some rap music. What a bummer! Upon looking at who it was, it was my co-worker! I think he overheard my music and I got the strangest look ever from him. I never felt like a vintage freak before but his look was enough to scare me off! Oh well, I just smiled back as he turned up his rap music some more. Very strange feeling, but I like it. :D

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
personally i like both... i had my ipod on random the other day shuffling from ragtime to gangsta rap to europop to metal to britney spears... seemed fine to me but others seem confused by it. people are strange with how they identify themselves by their music sometimes, and often assume other people are just as set in their tastes and limited in their range of musical interests. that and maybe it is so unfamiliar to him it threw him off or seemed like an affectation. fun, uncomfortable moments that come from not having bothered to worry about the world making silly assumptions are becoming a regular part of life.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Katie Brookes said:
personally i like both... i had my ipod on random the other day shuffling from ragtime to gangsta rap to europop to metal to britney spears... seemed fine to me but others seem confused by it. people are strange with how they identify themselves by their music sometimes, and often assume other people are just as set in their tastes and limited in their range of musical interests.

I totally agree with this! I LOVE music and I always have. All kinds from the dawn of cylinders to today. I couldn't bear just listening to one type of music and turning my nose up at the rest (not saying anyone does this, just sayin'!) I need musical variety in my life! Now granted, I *do* have my favourite genres (20s/30s jazz, new wave, and rockabilly), but I listen to literally EVERYTHING!

It does confuse people when I listen to my 30s music, but I like confusing people so it works out just fine :)

epr25

Practically Family
I live in Indiana. The town that I am in is relativley large. But I frequent the same shops and thrifts weekly. I am on a first name basis with allot of the workers. Last weekend we went to Carmel (a suburb of Indianapolis, the capital of our great state) for some emergency family business with one of my stepdaughters. While my finace and her mom took somewhere I didn;t have anything to do. There was an outdoor mall near by. It sounded like a good way to burn some time until they returned. I was wearing one of my favorite vintage dresses (shown below) and saddle shoes. My usual get up. Well Carmel being a pretty wealthy area the mall was full of blonde girls dressed in thier smallest clothing weighing ,let me see, 80lbs, with huge sunglasses, well you get the picture. I have never had a bad reaction to my vintage way but I actually had some of those drones point and snicker at me. I felt like an alien. I left there very put off and was able to somehow locate an antique shop. I just remember the calm feeling when I walked in.

8a71_1.JPG

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Indy obviously doesn't have the Freak Zone that New York has.

In NY people naturally give one another a little room to let it be, because historically a fair percentage of us are stressed-out, neurotic, or just plain dangerous. We also have a percentage (a much smaller one) of people with a positive individual look or style, whether it's an experiment in street theater or just an expression of self-actualization.

Case in point: I spent 2 hot sunny afternoons in Manhattan last week doing what I like to call boulevardin'. This involves:
-dressing in white or very light colored summerweight dress clothing ie: linen or seersucker suit, tie, panama hat, and white buck shoes
-strolling, ambling, sauntering, anything but brisk aggressive walking
-occasional standing or sitting still in public checking out people, places, and things
-breaking for a leisurely lunch someplace cool

The ultimate objective of boulevardin' is to cultivate, and communicate, a feeling of elegant relaxation, a phenomenon increasingly unknown in modern life, but one I believe many moderns could benefit from. Manhattan is a particularly good place to try doing this, because they already welcome elegance, but they have largely sworn off relaxation. You also rarely see light suits worn even on 90° days in midsummer.

Anyway! My point. I didn't get any screwy looks from anybody in Manhattan. But I did get some friendly and even a few envious ones, including an outright frank smile from a young lady in shorts who was obviously joined at the hip to a young gent of equally scruffy aspect. Hmmm.

1062834554_a8a08cdb5a.jpg

If you see me this way, I'm boulevardin'.

You contaminated freak!

Gilbey said:
...I think he overheard my music and I got the strangest look ever from him...
The first weekend working at (MiseryCo - motto: We be naught bashert nor heymish!) my "Soopervizer" allowed as to how I would be permitted the privilege of listening to music at my workstation across the cubicle from her highness. Naturally my choice was Radio Dismuke. Miss "P'fess'nal" gave me such a "what are you contaminated with" look that soon it was clear from her demeanor that her priority was now how to trade my services ASAP for a child half my age at two thirds less salary...
Fletch said:
...I spent 2 hot sunny afternoons in Manhattan last week doing what I like to call boulevardin'...
I like that.
As I was taught: geyn shpatsirn

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We don't really have organized subcultures around here, and definitely not the flamboyant sorts that show up in the bigger cities. On top of that, our local population is, on the average, the oldest in the state -- so we just don't often see the flamboyant-youth-type goings-on that are common elsewhere. The nearest mall is over forty miles from here, so we don't really even have the teen-mallrat culture to deal with. Most people just go around in generic t-shirts and shorts in the summer, and in the winter everyone's so bundled up you can't tell what they're wearing.

That being so, anyone who puts a bit of effort into their wardrobe is liable to get looks -- whether it's me in my vintage or the occasional pierced-and-tattooed college kid touristing thru town. But it's not so much a "hey look at the freak!" thing as it is "hey, wow, there's colors other than grey and khaki! Who knew??"

My taste in music does sometimes get quizzical looks though -- occasionally I'll be stopped at a light and someone will overhear Rudy Vallee or Al Bowlly coming out of my speaker, and a "whoa, where's the BEAT??" expression may cross their faces....

Starius

Practically Family
This reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine up in the twin cities. He's a big fan of the Japanese anime and was listening to various anime soundtracks in his car one day with his windows rolled down. He pulled up to a stop light and in the next lane a convertible rolled up with two Asian guys in it.

They heard this Japanese bubblegum pop music coming out of this car next to them, looked him over and just had the most incredulous looks on their faces.

The light changed green and my friend just took off laughing.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
We don't really have organized subcultures around here, and definitely not the flamboyant sorts that show up in the bigger cities.[...]My taste in music does sometimes get quizzical looks though -- occasionally I'll be stopped at a light and someone will overhear Rudy Vallee or Al Bowlly coming out of my speaker, and a "whoa, where's the BEAT??" expression may cross their faces....
Try playing Luis Russell sometime.

You really need to visit New York before the cool weather comes. We could dance barefoot in the fountain in front of the Plaza, which is probably the only dancing I don't look a perfect fool at.

carter

I'll Lock Up
It was a warm nice day as I parked my car at my workplace, with windows rolled down enjoying the fresh air and playing my ragtime music with Frankie Carle at the piano. Nothing could be more perfect as I imagine being transported back to the ragtime years on a warm sunny day. Suddenly I heard big booms from a subwoofer as a car pulled up by my side playing some rap music. What a bummer! Upon looking at who it was, it was my co-worker! I think he overheard my music and I got the strangest look ever from him. I never felt like a vintage freak before but his look was enough to scare me off! Oh well, I just smiled back as he turned up his rap music some more. Very strange feeling, but I like it.

Gilbey, I usually drive my T-Bird w/ the top down so I can crank up the sound! No negatives in Big D on the Big Band era so far.:)

This reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine up in the twin cities. He's a big fan of the Japanese anime and was listening to various anime soundtracks in his car one day with his windows rolled down. He pulled up to a stop light and in the next lane a convertible rolled up with two Asian guys in it.

They heard this Japanese bubblegum pop music coming out of this car next to them, looked him over and just had the most incredulous looks on their faces.

LOL. That is TOO FUNNY! lol

her priority was now how to trade my services ASAP for a child half my age at two thirds less salary...

Happened to me last October. :(

including an outright frank smile from a young lady in shorts who was obviously joined at the hip to a young gent of equally scruffy aspect.

The young lady, the shorts, both? ;)

We could dance barefoot in the fountain in front of the Plaza

Is your last name Fellini? ;)

epr25

Practically Family
Don't get me wrong about Indianapolis. The city is cool. There are allot of really good vintage and antique shops, bars and venues for shows. I was in the suburbs where all the teenagers get a lexus or BMW for thier sweet 16. Think of the super sweet 16 show in MTV. If you have not seen it I would not recomend it. I find it to the most shameful program glorifying these horrible brats! Anyway I didn;t want to scare anyone off from Indy, it's cool.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
8a71_1.JPG
[/QUOTE]

They were probably giving you looks because you looked classier than they did for all their money--this is a great dress!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I couldn't bear just listening to one type of music and turning my nose up at the rest (not saying anyone does this, just sayin'!)

Yes, someone does do this. My older brother. If it isn't '70s rock, he complains. Nothing else is music, as far as he's concerned.

To me, life is too short to limit oneself from the beauty of musical variety.

Lee

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The BF and I had a very boy - racer, chavy car with a spoiler and everything (inherited from his brother, I hasten to add!) and frequently on our way to and from his parent's house drive along a road in Essex known for attracting boy - racers in their souped up cars, we have surprised a few people.

They pull up expecting some dim-wit 18 year old looking for a race only to see us two dressed 30s/40s and the stereo playing Big Band music!

The looks on some of their faces was just classic! lol

However, that's not the only music I like. Even the BF has pushed me towards the Easy Listening (where they put all the Swing, etc) section in the Music store when I'm trying to look at other genres. [huh]

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
However, that's not the only music I like. Even the BF has pushed me towards the Easy Listening (where they put all the Swing, etc) section in the Music store when I'm trying to look at other genres. [huh]

Yeah, what's up with that? Are they just too lazy to make proper sections? I was at Borders last month to buy a CD as a gift and it seriously took me 20 minutes to figure out that's were they put Frank Sinatra! In Easy Listening?

Edward

Bartender
Some people feel threatened by anything different. Maybe they're threatened by the fact that someone else - unlike them - is secure enough to stand out from the herd. Snickering at someone who is different than them is, I think, a way of subconciously externalising this in way designed to make a display of "look at me, I am not threatened by you."

I consdier myself very, very lucky to live here in London and therefore have the full gamut of what to wear available to me - I know back in Northern Ireland I'd have thought twice about a hell of a lot of the stuff I wear now without thinking about it - even something like wearing a cravat over there is taken as being some huge statment. I guess that's the perils of a small place with few alternatives. That said, I've never had much hassle for anything, really - there's the odd comment (which I typically have a response for - "well, it's Saturday night, darling: somebody has to make an effort" and the likes), though that doesn't bother me. As often as not whether it's black tie or full Dr Frank 'n' Furter I find as many people think it's fun and appreciate something different as there are folks who find it "weird." Last night I was out at a show put on by the Ministry of Burlesque... just wearing black tie (with an ivory, shawl colllared jacket - it ain't the tropics here but it's damn well hot enough for white in London in the summer) and a panama.One idiot made some "cowboy" comment, but loads of people smiled at us in the street, and a fair few commented how great we looked (my friend was in a pencil skirt and corset). Heartening to see so many people out there who appreciate different. Not that I dress for other folks, but if it makes me happy and them smile, we all win. :) The only place I ever had serious trouble was in Liverpool, in costume. We had copins thrown at us in the street in mid afternoon, and then on our way back to the hotel late at night we were physically pushed around in the street. Quite a frightening experience.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
True

Edward said:
Some people feel threatened by anything different. Maybe they're threatened by the fact that someone else - unlike them - is secure enough to stand out from the herd. Snickering at someone who is different than them is, I think, a way of subconciously externalising this in way designed to make a display of "look at me, I am not threatened by you."
Even when everyone else is wearing pajamas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24