Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those Target dresses are soooo cute. The bottom two actually are quite similar to 3 of my Stop Staring dresses. The tops of them are almost identical, the only difference is they lack the pemplum, but they still have that great 40's look to them. Here in Boston the summer months can get very humid. Nothing is better than to wear a light weight, somewhat loose fitting cotton dress. It can be so damp here sometimes I don't like to wear some of my real vintage dresses, I would hate for them to get ruined. These Target dresses would be a nice alternative.

I actually got 2 very cute lightweight very soft cotton shirtwaist dresses from H&M a few weeks ago. One is a lovely green solid and the other is white with pastel stripes. They have adorable little puffy sleeves and are a nice cut. I don't remember what I paid, but I think that they might have been $30. They do have a website, but unfortunately they don't sell anything on it and it is incredibly slow. But it might give you an idea of some of the things they're getting in for the season. When I was there they had some very cute vintagey things, but not everything was put out yet for the coming season. Supposedly this week they are putting out a lot more sutff. I'm gonna have to get over there. In the past few years I've bought a few very cute suits and skirts from them that have a great vintage flare to them. Not only were they pretty cheap, but for lower priced clothes, the quality isn't all that bad. I have a lovely wool suit from them that I bought nearly 5 years ago and it's still in great shape, and with the right accessories it looks totally vintage.

Shearer

Practically Family
I just got the Boden catalog in the mail yesterday and they have some really cute stuff in it.

Their whole style is pretty classic, but with some cute prints. I noticed a lot of nice cardigans, skirts and dresses with a vintage look (lots of polka dots!) so it might be worth the time to take a peek!

It's a Brit company, but I never paid an arm and a leg on shipping and it arrived SUPER FAST.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
I just got the Boden catalog in the mail yesterday and they have some really cute stuff in it.

Their whole style is pretty classic, but with some cute prints. I noticed a lot of nice cardigans, skirts and dresses with a vintage look (lots of polka dots!) so it might be worth the time to take a peek!

It's a Brit company, but I never paid an arm and a leg on shipping and it arrived SUPER FAST.

Thank you! I haven't looked at Boden in AGES and their polka dot shirt dress is amazing! I must have it! Their stuff is brilliant quality too, and they do longer length dresses!

Shearer

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Thank you! I haven't looked at Boden in AGES and their polka dot shirt dress is amazing! I must have it! Their stuff is brilliant quality too, and they do longer length dresses!

You're welcome! They have great stuff, you may pay more but you're getting your money's worth. And I hate it when I find a cute vintagey skirt somewhere and it's cut way up to here.

Mojito

One Too Many
Veronika Maine and Cue in Australia have a few dresses along similar lines to those offered at Target. Winter looks are going overwhelmingly pinafore down here in Oz, though.

timorous me

Familiar Face
I know it must seem by now like I own stock in the company or something (I promise I don't!) but ladies... ETSY ETSY ETSY ETSY ETSY!

SO many people make gorgeous repros, usually dirt cheap, and to sweeten the deal, most sellers are more than happy to custom-make something for you. And if you make your own repros: I have found some PHENOMENAL vintage patterns on there, and again, DIRT CHEAP. it's like a funkier, friendlier ebay, but without all the pesky bidding.

timorous me

Familiar Face
as far as dresses go on etsy, by "cheap" i mean $40-$50 (though i've seen many cheaper than that) - not bad for a custom made repro, especially when you compare that to something like Stop Staring...

It took me a while to get used to the navigation, there's just so much stuff to sort through.

Daisy Buchanan

OK ladies I just wanted to add to my above post about Lady Grace lingerie store. I was just perusing their website and they have some great shapewear, including Rago on sale. I usually buy Rago, I find them to be incredibly comfortable, but I usually buy from Girdlebound. Lady Grace has the same open bottom girdle by Rago that I love for $7 less!!! They have quite a few others on sale as well from Rago, Crowne and a few other brands. So, check out their website:)

Daisy Buchanan

If you have a Lady Grace near you, check them out

Yes, I am gonna talk about Lady Grace again:D
I took a walk down to their store today. Wow wee!! They have quite the selection. First off, I had 2 older sales women kind of pounce on me. I guess they aren't used to having younger gals shopping in their store, for they do cater to older dames. But, when I told them what I was looking for, they were soooo surprised that I even knew what an opened bottom pull on girdle was, and that I knew the brand and product number I was looking for. They were intrigued and wanted to know why a girl of my age actually wanted to wear a girdle. I told them about my vintage clothing (I wasn't dressed vintage at the time, for I was walking a couple of miles to get there). Anyway, I bought two very pretty Crown open bottom girdles. One in black and one in nude. They are lace and very pretty. They thought it was so hilarious that I thought a girdle was pretty:D They tried selling me these tiny useless garter belts, actually telling me that no guy my age would want to see the things I was looking at!!!! Anyway, they ended up having a lot of fun reminiscing about their younger years wearing girdles, corsets and tap pants, which they called bloomers. They made me promise to visit them when I'm dressed vintage. I will definitely do that, and for the most part I will be buying girdles from them now on. Although they don't have the color selection that girdlebound has, their prices are great. Right now they are having a 20% off sale and thier regular prices are already cheaper than the other shoppes. I also signed up for their discount card which gives you 2% back on every purchase and you get lots of coupons too. I also bought a lovely pengoir set in black lace that is so vintage looking and on sale.
I got two pairs of tap pants. They aren't all that pretty looking, just plain white nylon. But they are high waisted and longer than the other modern ones I've seen. They also had them in cotton. They are really more of a comfort panty verses a "romantic" article.

Well, I loved this store and adored the 2 woman who helped me. Also, they are gonna look into special ordering for me. I told them about the Rago pull on OB girdle that girdle bound has in many different colors. They said they might be able to special order specific colors for me. This would be great being that they are $7 less than other sites. So all in all it was a very good experience. They have a huge selection of under things in all different shapes and sizes and their prices for the most part (I think that some of their satin night gowns were a bit pricey) were great. :) Everything they sell at their store can be bought on their website, actually their website has a bigger selection of shapewear. However, if you see something online that you like and you have a store near you that doesn't have that particular product, the store will order it for you and you won't have to pay shipping charges.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
timorous me said:
as far as dresses go on etsy, by "cheap" i mean $40-$50 (though i've seen many cheaper than that) - not bad for a custom made repro, especially when you compare that to something like Stop Staring...

It took me a while to get used to the navigation, there's just so much stuff to sort through.

I completely agree. Etsy is one of the best gems on the Internet and I love supporting men and women who are trying to sell their crafts. Actually the majority are women and I feel even more strongly about that!

I now only shop on Etsy for baby's presents and birthday presents for friends. It's wonderful!

olive bleu

One Too Many
i just went through this thread from beginning to end and boy, I am really going to be in trouble if I ever get room on my credit cards againlol

I actually saved all the links to my favourites and put them in my "shopping" folder.The only one I have that i don't think is in THIS thread,( but was in another) is

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=280674

for those that like 50's things:) Lottsa poodle skirts.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Etsy Challenged!!!!

Ok-- given the support Etsy has been given on this thread, I attempted to take a look at their offerings. I found the site to be pretty difficult to navigate. Am I the only one? Are there any suggestions the Etsy-competent can give on finding the good stuff?

Help!

Honey Doll

Shearer

Practically Family
Honey Doll said:
Ok-- given the support Etsy has been given on this thread, I attempted to take a look at their offerings. I found the site to be pretty difficult to navigate. Am I the only one? Are there any suggestions the Etsy-competent can give on finding the good stuff?

Help!

Honey Doll

I think I'm challenged too! :p I did find a couple of jewelry pieces on there this week, but doing a basic search on skirts or dresses doesn't seem to pull up as many results as it should... hmmmm...

Kim_B

Practically Family
You ladies aren't challeneged at all...Etsy is pretty tricky to navigate until you get the hang of it. I've been wanting to set up a store to sell some things, but this is the one thing that has been keeping me from doing it.

Daisy Buchanan

olive bleu said:
i just went through this thread from beginning to end and boy, I am really going to be in trouble if I ever get room on my credit cards againlol

I actually saved all the links to my favourites and put them in my "shopping" folder.The only one I have that i don't think is in THIS thread,( but was in another) is

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=280674

for those that like 50's things:) Lottsa poodle skirts.

That's a great idea. Also, there is a "sticky" at the top of the first page in the Powder Room. It was put together by our bartender Lady Day. It's a compilation of vintage and vintage inspired stores on the web. This neat and incredibly organized thread is a great resource for all different types of internet based vintage and vintage inspired clothing, shoes, accessories, etc..

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
It's funny, sometimes I'm able to find what I'm looking for right away, but if I don't save it as a favorite, trying to re-find it can be difficult.

Seems like great items though. I first search though "Vintage", then "Clothing", then dresses or whatever. But I do wonder if I'm missing out on item that are repros, if the seller considers "vintage" to be strictly ummm, well, authentic vintage, vs. vintage repros.

I found a darling green-and-white polka-dotted dress, but the waist measurement was prohibitively small. :( I don't care to wear shape wear under summer dresses, oye! But I'll keep trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy