Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Kim_B

Practically Family
Torrid.com

I know Torrid was mentioned a while back, but I was just checking their site tonight and found this dress, kind of vintage-looking...

http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&M=1019156661&RN=970&ITEM=551994
551994_hi.jpg

Actually, as I'm looking through the site, there are a lot of pencil skirts, and rockabilly-looking tops to choose from too. Might be worth checking out, if you're like me and have a hard time finding vintage or VI clothing that fits well.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Pssssst.... H&M sorts out all the cute 40s stuff to replae it with horrible 80s wear and leggins which means the cute stuff is reduced between 30 and 70 percent! Go and grab some bargains!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kim, that's a great dress.

Thanks for the info Sari. It's a shame about all of those horrible leggings, but suits on sale is always a good thing. They do have some really great looking suits. Unfortunately for me, the last time I went to the store they would have my size in the jacket, but not the skirt. Or vice versa. It got so frustrating, I ended up leaving empty handy because I couldn't find a complete outfit in the right size. I just heard a new one opened up in another area of Boston. I will check them out.

Daisy Buchanan

RetroModelSari said:
Daisy: I had the same problem yesterday!!! I just couldn´t find a matching suit & skirt! :-(
Isn't it annoying. And when I asked the sales girl if she would call another store for me in my area, since they aren't online, she said "no, we don't do that"!!! Then she explained that even if she were to find the suit I wanted in another store, they wouldn't ship it to me, they just don't do that! It's annoying to see such cute outfits that you can't get your hand on. Pretty bad customer service, in my opinion.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Really? That sucks! I remebember a few years ago I was searching there for a petticaot-dress with little strawberrys on it. I asked them for my size and they called up the next H&M in my neigborhood. But who knows, maybe their service has changed since than (or I just had good luck)

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow, that is a great link, thanks. I've always wanted a custom made suit or dress, or both:)

A few of the guys have used My Custom Tailor based in Singapore. They don't have so called vintage inspired suits, but they do have a lot of custom made suit options. Supposedly, if you send them a picture of a suit or a dress that you want, they will make it for you, and pretty fast. I'm not sure what this sort of project would cost, but, the patterns that they do have in their inventory are pretty decent price, considered that they are custom tailored.

does anyone know what the prices and quality of these dresses are like compared to whirling turban custom made repro dresses and skirts?

Daisy Buchanan

Emmababy said:
does anyone know what the prices and quality of these dresses are like compared to whirling turban custom made repro dresses and skirts?

I don't know what their prices are for ladies wear. My roommate, Hemingway Jones has gotten custom made three piece suits from them and we were both shocked by not only how well they are made but how low the price was. I know, there might be a difference between mens and ladies, but I can't imagine it is huge.
I haven't gotten any quotes from them yet, but he has, and they have gotten back to him with pricing quite quickly. No obligation to buy either. The ordering process is also easy. Just pick your items, type in your measurements, pick material, lining, etc.. They are very thorough in the questions that they ask, so you can be sure that you will get an item that fits to a tee. And, for those of us gals who don't know how to sew or take measurements, they also give very thorough directions on how to do so.
Overall, my very picky male roommate has been very happy with the suits he has had made by them. And he is really quite neurotic (sorry Hem:)) when it comes to both quality and fit.
Oh, I do know this about their pricing. Although I hear that their custom made items are quite reasonable in the world of custom tailoring, I think this only applies to the items that they have on their site. They will make you just about anything, so if you have a design for a suit that you just have to have, even if they don't have the pattern on their site, they will make it for you. But, to do this type of project can get very, very expensive. Just what I heard. Would be nice if it was a rumor, for I've wanted a few copies of suits made, and was thinking of sending them pictures of them so they could recreate them for me. I guess it wouldn't hurt to just get the quote. I just want them so badly that I'm worried that if I find out that they will make them for me, I'll get them no matter what the cost. That would just be bad:eek:

I've never heard of Whirling Turban (?). Is this another place that does custom made? If you have a link, would you please put it up?
Thanx:)

UPDATE: I just found Whirling Turban online. I was having a bit of a brain lapse, and realized it would probably be pretty easy to find! Anyway, WOW! What a great store. Oh, I could do some damage in there! They are completely different than Custom Tailor, they actually specialize in vintage, the other place doesn't. I can not believe I've never known about this place, it's awesome! Thanks for mentioning it!

Daisy Buchanan

I'm not sure if this place has been mentioned yet but, Recollections has a large selection of vintage inspired clothes. It caters more to the 1800's, and they have a few Edwardian copies. I have seen dresses like the ones they sell go for a lot more money than what they are selling them for, I think this is in part due to the fact that they don't custom make the dresses. But, they do have a wide range of sizes. This site might be good for the ladies who are into reenacting. They sell everything from petticoats and other under garments to bathing suits.
Check it out, you might just find something that you like from an earlier period.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Whew! You ARE lucky if you consider those prices reasonable! :eek: Maybe it's because I haven't established myself financially yet, but even victoriantradingco.com is comparitively much more reasonably priced. I do like their clothes better too.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I'm a student, so believe me, the prices on the site are a bit steep. But I know that clothes of this styling go for 700 on up. To see some of those beautifully detailed dresses (they don't appear to skimp on material or detail) go for 100 or 200 dollars is nice.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
cute jumper alert...

there was a girl at a dance i went to last night that was wearing this jumper and it was SO cute. it actually looked pretty authentic 40s, although it doesn't on the site. she's pretty small in stature, so i'm not sure how it would work on taller girls. one change i would make would be to sew different buttons on it. unfortunately the site doesn't list a price, but i thought i would give y'all a heads-up!

Daisy Buchanan

ShooShooBaby said:
there was a girl at a dance i went to last night that was wearing this jumper and it was SO cute. it actually looked pretty authentic 40s, although it doesn't on the site. she's pretty small in stature, so i'm not sure how it would work on taller girls. one change i would make would be to sew different buttons on it. unfortunately the site doesn't list a price, but i thought i would give y'all a heads-up!

I was at the mall the other day and walked by the store Express. They had a jumper just like this one in their store window. I thought it was so cute, and great to see something with a vintage flare. I didn't have time to go in and check the price, but if you're in the mall sometime, check it out.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm totally going to check that out next time i'm at the mall (i don't seek it out, but an occasional trip seems to be unavoidable sometimes)! i hope we're seeing a "swing" in fashion to more 40s-ish stuff being available.

i actually have a high-waisted skirt from american apparel that has a very vintage shape to it - except it's stretchy cotton blend. it makes a nice silhouette as long as you're wearing appropriate undergarments with it.

Daisy Buchanan

I just got the spring Delia's catalog and thought I would post a few things that I thought were vintage-y.
They have quite a few pairs of sailor and wide legged pants, and right now they are buy one get one 1/2 off. This is great, considering their prices are already lower than most department stores. Also, many of their pants come in a wide array of sizes and lengths:)

They also have some very cute tops and some pretty springy dresses. I'll just post a few of what I found, but go to the website and check them out. Oh, they also have some very cute swim suits. Not completely vintage looking, but with a vintage feel to them. One of the fabrics they are using has cute strawberries on it, not quite the cherries that we all like, but still very cute.
Well without further ado:

Shearer

Practically Family
I was in WalMart, of all places, to pick up some lotion and bobby pins and saw these in the clothing section....

shirtdress.jpg

blouse.jpg

trumpetskirt.jpg

Lots of trumpet skirts, shirt-dresses, cute little chiffon dresses. Mostly in navy, but I think that dress up there also comes in red. I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but I did pick up a navy trumpet skirt and one of the blouses as cheap consolation for losing two vintage navy dresses on eBay recently ;) $15 bucks each so we'll see how long they last.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Believe it or not, most of the clothing that I've bought from Wally World has lasted a reasonable amount of time...I usually buy tank tops and tshirts there during the summer to do house work and yard work and the like, and they hold up pretty well. I do love the style of that dress - I just might have to pick one up! :)

Shearer

Practically Family
The only place I've had trouble with about things falling apart is Forever 21, which I know people have already talked about.

I call it 21 Minutes, for the amount of time it takes for their product to fall apart. I had a tank top hem completely unravel on the first washing.

Anyway, it's like my sister said when I told her about my WalMart find: "It's probably made in the same factory as BCBG clothes." She's probably right :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart