Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

shindeco

A-List Customer
2 swimsuits

Here are the two that I own. The one on the right is a vintage Jantzen that I bought at a local vintage store. The one on the left is the one my friend knit for me from a vintage pattern. It's burgundy, if you can't see the colour too well.

swimsuits.jpg

jantzenlogo.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Nice photos, Shindeco.
Do the briefs have a cup or anything in the lower front region?
Is the belt web or what?
Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

shindeco

A-List Customer
The Wolf said:
Nice photos, Shindeco.
Do the briefs have a cup or anything in the lower front region?
Is the belt web or what?
Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The trunks are absolutely flat front, no cup; no shaping whatsoever. There is a fairly narrow liner down the insdie front to minimize "showthrough". The belt is woven cotton with a double D-ring buckle.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Kat knows about this one...

Well, I won this off ebay... some of you may remember the drama behind it... oh well, it's here and it fits! It's an early 30's job, it's in perfect condition!

images%5CJantzenBlkLg.JPG

Here's some cool late 20's or early 30's ads...

0000-5349-4.jpg

0000-0955.jpg

I may wear my suit... not sure if I have the grapes to sport this at the pool... not sure, I kind of miss swimming but, it might have to be around others that like this old stuff too... yeah, the laughing would ensue no matter what but, oh I want to wear this thing!

Crazy I be but, that's why I do this!

=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
I may wear my suit... not sure if I have the grapes to sport this at the pool... not sure, I kind of miss swimming but, it might have to be around others that like this old stuff too... yeah, the laughing would ensue no matter what but, oh I want to wear this thing!

Crazy I be but, that's why I do this!

=WR=

We hear ya bro, we share your pain!!

It's a great suit, I especially love the logo.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For guys I like the look of regular swim trunks or shorts for the beach. Those vintage shorts for guys, unless you have a great body...may not be such a great idea to be sporting one on ya

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, if you want to get down to it, pretty people should only wear swim suits... hahahaha think about it, bathing suits of any period just look better on models... sad but true. I'm no model but, I may go for a dip if I'm the only one around... well, maybe one other person around... safer to swim with some one else ya know!

=WR=

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
true, anything does look good on model..but..big people still can look great in a one piece. It's those bikinis that get some people into trouble!:eek: lol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, thank goodness I don't have to worry about that style of suit. hahahahhahahaha!

I've always been some what self conscious when it comes to swim wear... always wanted something that kind of covered me up... don't like the sun either... it's bad, I burn easily and bad! I don't tan, I only burn! Hahahah

Well, we'll see what happens this summer!

=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Yeah, thank goodness I don't have to worry about that style of suit. hahahahhahahaha!

I've always been some what self conscious when it comes to swim wear... always wanted something that kind of covered me up... don't like the sun either... it's bad, I burn easily and bad! I don't tan, I only burn! Hahahah

Well, we'll see what happens this summer!

=WR=

There is no "Summer" in Ireland unfortunatly....

I don't know what to say....

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Now that's sad Mr. H. I love the summer. The beaches, sun, all my summer wear (I'm not a big sweater person ).
I don't tan well either, I go straight to burn usually. My brother on the other hand only has to be out in the sun for maybe 20 minutes to get a great tan..no fair!:mad:
I finally got myself a straw hat though...love wearing it outside when the sun is out!:D

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I just bought a great retro swimsuit from http://www.revampvintage.com/bathingsuit.html. It was a little pricey, but I wanted something in true 1940s style (and I wouldn't dream of wearing one of my vintage swimsuits in the pool.)
This is the one I bought:
http://www.revampvintage.com/lexy.html

I have one of Esther Williams reproduction swimsuits, too. I like it as well, though the fabric is more modern. It still has the right look, though!

Revamp might be able to make something for the guys too--would be worth inquiring about!

That suit looks simply stunning. Thank you everyone for your advice.

L_H

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
getting back to y'all late

Shindeco, thanks for the info. That is the style I would wear myself.
Root, as always a great find. I would wear that outfit without feeling too ridiculous. I look ridiculous in a swim suit anyway.lol
Due to my modesty I've worn a tank top to public swimming pools before. With trunks that is.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

shindeco

A-List Customer
Root,

I'll wear mine if you wear yours! I've always wanted to wear it in public. I've worn it in the back yard...

I ALMOST took the 'thirties reproduction one with me when we went on a cruise but didn't. Still kind of regret not taking it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lena_Horne said:
I love your swimsuits Root and shindeco. If either ever get up the gall to wear them in public I'm sure everyone would pictures.:D

L_H

Oh, I may wear mine but, no photo taking please! :eek: I'd be too... well, worried if those photos may ever fall into the wrong hands.lol I'll wear mine Shindeco if you wear yours! Say, this raises an interesting question... what kind of effects does chlorine have on wool?

=WR=

Caledonia

Practically Family
Well, you're swimming along feeling groovy then you exit the water to pose around the pool edge. The chlorine reacts with oxygen and POW! The wool disintegrates round your ankles. :eek: Be warned.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk