Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol lol lol now that's blackmail material!
I never knew that about wool...just one more reason why I'll never wear it! As we both know, one bad pool...or swimsuit experience is enough!:D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, that's all funny and everything but, I need to know if any one really has had any bad encounters with wool in modern pools. Does the color fade? Does it weaken the fabric? Did they have chlorine back then?

Remember, serious question... sure like a serious answer.;)

=WR=

shindeco

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Well, that's all funny and everything but, I need to know if any one really has had any bad encounters with wool in modern pools. Does the color fade? Does it weaken the fabric? Did they have chlorine back then?

Remember, serious question... sure like a serious answer.;)

=WR=

Actually, it's a very good question. I have no experience myself. I know the Cave and Basin Hot Springs in Banff used to rent out suits like this until quite recently (may still do, I don't know). I assume the pool is chlorinated but I can't find any information one way or the other. They use chlorine to prevent wool from felting (according to one web site I found) which means it's a good thing for the wool but, yeah, the fading issue is a whole other kettle of fish. Any information would be most appreciated.

Wild Root

Gone Home
shindeco said:
Actually, it's a very good question. I have no experience myself. I know the Cave and Basin Hot Springs in Banff used to rent out suits like this until quite recently (may still do, I don't know). I assume the pool is chlorinated but I can't find any information one way or the other. They use chlorine to prevent wool from felting (according to one web site I found) which means it's a good thing for the wool but, yeah, the fading issue is a whole other kettle of fish. Any information would be most appreciated.

I do ask good questions from time to timelol I'd sure like to know... I'm sure they had chlorine back then too but, mummmm, not sure... I'm sure it will lose a little color since it's never really been worn so, I'll turn the pool black after the first use! Hahahahha

Any one know more about this please post it!

=WR=

KAT

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Ok... sounds like a plan. We'll have to get Josh to come too and drag out one of his dusty 30's jobs too!

=WR=

name the place and day and ill be there :D ..i dont know about that dusty 30s job though! he will find one in 5 seconds.....

K by the bay

Familiar Face
men's bathing suits

I like the look of the one piece suit on a guy and can recommend a place for the fellows to get one only it's a lingerie place online and I don't know if I should mention it. It doesn't have anything x-rated as far as I can tell but I didn't look through the whole site.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I wore my 1930 Jantzen on the 4th... it was great! It felt very comfortable... no itches no nothing! It pulled through like a champ! I rinsed it off when I got home and hung it up... it's dry now and back in my dresser safe and sound!

Sorry, no photos, this is a family site!lol

=WR=

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Hey Root... I just packed my swim trunks for Camp Hollywood. I think I'll wear them all weekend long. They won't mind in the lessons....or the nightly dances....or anywhere.

I'm not one for the beach, even though I live on an island. Just don't like it much, well here in NY anyway.

Maybe I'll post some pics.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
I know it's probably a bit early to start the summer search, but I'm looking for some vintage or vintage style swim trunks. Is there anyone out there today that makes anything that even resembles the swim trunks of the 40s? Also, is there anywhere I should be looking for these (vintage or vintage style) besides ebay? I'm hoping to get a pair or two and I'm also planning on wearing them. I personnally do think they look sharp.

K by the bay said:
I like the look of the one piece suit on a guy and can recommend a place for the fellows to get one only it's a lingerie place online and I don't know if I should mention it. It doesn't have anything x-rated as far as I can tell but I didn't look through the whole site.

If you can't post it here, can you shoot me a link for it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

Phil

A-List Customer
This is where I'd have to reject the vintage style. For me, it's all about less drag. Cotton would be horrible to swim in. Heavy and drags like crazy. As a 250 lb kid, I wore a Speedo at swim meets... I was promptly kicked off the swim team. Anyways, a vintage swimsuit may not be the best. You'll use more energy swimming around, and it will be more dangerous to the wearer in deeper water since it will retain more water and become heavier.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't mind the vintage women's or men's swimwear from the 1950s forward, but those one pieces from earlier that everyone wore (regardless of sex) are just... atrocious looking. Not a vintage style I'm fond of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points