Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

Martina

One of the Regulars
Here are mine two vitage bathing suits.
I got them from a thrift store a few years back. The navy and white one is wool. The blue one is obviously newer and of newer material but I just loved the color and style, so I got it anyway.\

The first time I wore the navy and white one to the lake, with my 5 generations of family present, everyone looked at me like I was crazy... except my Grandmother who thought it was very 'sensable'.
Anyway, I DO plan on wearing them again but maybe just in the backyard, by the kiddie pool!

Dsc00418.jpg

Dsc00413.jpg

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
What I'm looking for is a swim trunk with a waist line at, or right below, the navel with maybe a 3 or 4 inch inseam. A belt would be cool, but I'll settle for the tie at front like a pair of board shorts. I recently picked up a pair of board shorts with a 2-inch inseam and I'll be trying them out over the next few weeks. Vintage is a bonus, but I'll take modern with a vintage flair.

Mike

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage style men's swim trunks?

Who 'today' is making a vintage 'lookalike' 40's homage to men's swimming trunks? (eg: stretchy shorts with belt loops and a little belt).

Any ideas gents please...?[huh]

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Salv!

You're a veritable online retailers' resource center!

I recently took delivery of my McGregor jacket thanks to you - it goes great with my moss green Knox fedora. I'll post a pic and update the other thread you posted in soon....

Salv

One Too Many
Aww, you guys ... :eek:

Yes, pics of the McGregor please Mr. H. I wore my Drizzler today for the first time this year - lovely spring weather in SE England.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I never thought I would wear a Speedo

I would probably change out the buckle but the swimsuit might look good with an A shirt.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Edward

Bartender
Reproduction Swimwear

I'm probably looking for the impossible, but....

I've been invited to a house party / weekend event at a friend's parents place next month, and abig feature will be the new pool and hot tub... Many years ago I used to swim regularly, often competitively (well, i was never much into the competitive angle, but I trained weekly - seven years, every Friday morning for an hour in the pool). Summer holidays with the family often included a swim three or four times a week. Fast forward to 2007 and I've not been in a pool for over ten years..... don't actually possess any swimwear either - not even a pair of short trousers. I'm more than a little concerned at the idea of being seen in swimwear - I don't recall the last time anyone saw me without a shirt on. Must be a few years... certainly, I don't think I've been seen out in swinwear since 1993. Something period struct me as an attractive idea, as it might cover my less-than-swimmer's-body in a more flattering manner - I was thinking something in the more Victorian one-piece style that Gomez Addams used to wear....

Ideas?

griffer

Practically Family
Jantzen made a line of men's 1930s retro/repro swimwear for men.

A couple seasons ago, though, not sure if you can still find it....

Edward

Bartender
Thanks guys...

J.M., that looks great.... actually, I really like the looks of the two-piece versions they have, I might go for one of those - just in case I ever feel brave enough to expose my pot belly to the world!

:)

Jovan

Suspended
If you have an American Apparel near you -- and they seem to be opening everywhere now -- you might have a look at these classic styled trunks. Apart from the short trunks and the women's styles from the '50s, I don't have as much a thing for vintage swimwear as I do everyday clothing. I like wearing board shorts. :eek:

*runs away from mob*

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
If you have an American Apparel near you -- and they seem to be opening everywhere now -- you might have a look at these classic styled trunks. Apart from the short trunks and the women's styles from the '50s, I don't have as much a thing for vintage swimwear as I do everyday clothing. I like wearing board shorts. :eek:

*runs away from mob*
70s classic?! Yikes!! :eek:

Edward

Bartender
Jovan said:

*runs away from mob*

Oh, it's more about keeping my pudgy frame covered than it is a period thing. I'd look more ridiculous than you can possibly imagine in a pair of modern Speedos - the only way I could possibly look good in that little would be if I made sure I always stood beside Peter Stringfellow in his thong. A little limiting, I'm sure you'd agree! :eek:

J-M, I do have a cheap Boater somewhere - picked it up a few years ago for a friend's 30th birthday party - the theme was "The Golden Age of Hollywood", and I went as Harold Lloyd in the black suit look from Safety Last. I don't think it's really me, though - I'm more of a Panama boy!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Jovan, those look like some swim shorts my dad had back in the early 80s. I guess if he were to travel back to the 40s they'd have considered it a pretty modern (maybe even shocking) look. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points