Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:
If you have an American Apparel near you -- and they seem to be opening everywhere now -- you might have a look at these classic styled trunks. Apart from the short trunks and the women's styles from the '50s, I don't have as much a thing for vintage swimwear as I do everyday clothing. I like wearing board shorts. :eek:

*runs away from mob*
The classic 70’s short – rises high on the leg for a sexy look.
Maybe those are just what I need...."for my sexy look". Nothing like a sexy pair of bird legs!lol

Jerekson

One Too Many
This is so funny! Just yesterday I was talking with a buddy of mine about looking for some vintage style swimsuits!

No joke! lol

Jovan

Suspended
ITG said:
Umm, yes, but the clothing spoken about at this site isn't 1970s style. It's Golden Era here, not 70s, so I'm not sure where you were going with that suggestion.
There's also talk of the '50s, '60s, and so forth here sometimes, so I saw no harm in that. [huh] If it's prohibited, I'll go somewhere else with my nonsense.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Dear Jovan, 30s-50s does fall into the site perameters; however, 60s/70s does not. I'm not aware directly of 60s/70s clothing talk in the areas I help moderate and just happened into this discussion. I'm sure some of it does slip through the cracks, as it's impossible to catch everything. But if you want to talk about 60s/70s clothing, I'm sure there are some Brady Bunch or Hawaii 5-0 forums out there you could join to expound on the advantages of 70s swimwear.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I made my husband some

You just need to find a nice lady that knows how to sew and pick out a vintage swim trunk pattern and have her make you some. My husband found a shirt and swim trunk pattern that he liked and I have made him the shirt but not the trunks yet.
swintrunks.jpg

Jeffshotrodshirt.jpg

Edward

Bartender
hotrod_elf said:
You just need to find a nice lady that knows how to sew and pick out a vintage swim trunk pattern and have her make you some. My husband found a shirt and swim trunk pattern that he liked and I have made him the shirt but not the trunks yet.
swintrunks.jpg

Jeffshotrodshirt.jpg

Great looking shirt! I like that fabric.... I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some in these parts, but that fabric pattern looks very period-authentic to my eyes. :)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Thank you. We happen to be at a Hancock's that was going out of business and my husband found the fabric. Normally he is not the type to wear shirts like that, but he said since I made it he would wear it. Now that's love.

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
I really want some of these trunks Tyrone is wearing
tyronepower3.jpg

...hair slicked back and some nice wide dark shades to wear at the beach. I know Im going to get alot of stares as everyone in LA pretty much wears oversized board shorts or cutoffs to the beach (soo boring).

I think they look really hot and all I would need is a hot gal by myside to really cause a stir. :)

-Vixs

Edward

Bartender
VictorAtomic said:
I really want some of these trunks Tyrone is wearing
tyronepower3.jpg

...hair slicked back and some nice wide dark shades to wear at the beach. I know Im going to get alot of stares as everyone in LA pretty much wears oversized board shorts or cutoffs to the beach (soo boring).

I think they look really hot and all I would need is a hot gal by myside to really cause a stir. :)

-Vixs

Ha, those look great - alas, I lack the stomach to go with them (hence the requirement of the top to hide it!).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Full length man's swim suit.

I've got one in dark navy in my wardrobe. It is and all-in-one vest and trunks.

Will post pics if anyone interested in the styling, but it's very 20's.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
70's trunks

Jovan: I'd say those trunks would have passed by unremarked in any decade from the 50's to the present day. Basic conservative trunks.
Edward, I fully understand your reticence in exposing the pale white jelly belly. If it's any comfort, you're a chisled demigod compared to me, so I would suggest just leaping into the deep end of the pool and not worrying about it.

Tone Loki

New in Town
Thank you.. been searching on there - I found an older thread on here after I posted this with a few brand names and ideas..

I think there's a gap in the market for new vintage style swim wear..

I'll just have to keep looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider