Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

jchance

One of the Regulars
1940s Block Bilt Aviator, size 38 (my size!) found in a vintage shop in Hong Kong (called White Whale): mint condition, with all original zipper, buttons, and original paper guide book, shoulder 18” chest 21” Length 26” Sleeves 25”. They want $1300 though.

Attachments

• IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5145.jpeg
    IMG_5145.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5143.jpeg
    IMG_5143.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 49

AHP91

Practically Family
1940s Block Bilt Aviator, size 38 (my size!) found in a vintage shop in Hong Kong (called White Whale): mint condition, with all original zipper, buttons, and original paper guide book, shoulder 18” chest 21” Length 26” Sleeves 25”. They want $1300 though.
This jacket was on Etsy for quite a while. Believe it sold for 600 dollars. The seller told me that there was a bit of a big repair done at the shoulder to reinforce some damage.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Go for it!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket was on Etsy for quite a while. Believe it sold for 600 dollars. The seller told me that there was a bit of a big repair done at the shoulder to reinforce some damage.
You beat me to it. So I will just add that anyone should triple check the items that shop is selling. I would not trust their description on an item. I first met the guy in a vintage market many years ago, he listed a pair of engineer boots as 50s vintage but inside the boots, there is a " ANSI PT91" marking .
A few years later at his shop I saw a Levi's japan aviator leather jacket with the care tag cut off (there should be a made in China care tag inside sewed to the bottom in addition to the Levi's strauss label at the collar). It was also deliberately distressed/aged by previous owners or the shop.

Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family
You beat me to it. So I will just add that anyone should triple check the items that shop is selling. I would not trust their description on an item. I first met the guy in a vintage market many years ago, he listed a pair of engineer boots as 50s vintage but inside the boots, there is a " ANSI PT91" marking .
I was in a bit of a lengthy, semi frequent back and forth with the seller on Etsy before they finally spoke up about the repair. Meanwhile I write out everything I know about a jacket I might be selling and end up basically giving it away. Such is life

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in a bit of a lengthy, semi frequent back and forth with the seller on Etsy before they finally spoke up about the repair. Meanwhile I write out everything I know about a jacket I might be selling and end up basically giving it away. Such is life
Well, I am talking about WW not the Etsy seller. WW has the jacket and any experienced vintage dealer would surely notice the repair. Yet he lists it as mint condition and is selling it for $1300. He is either inexperience and reckless or else. All I am saying is check carefully and don't just take his word on any description.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Nice to see a fit pic, I can't wear mine. Such fine leather, I just bought mine for that.

Sierra must have been a maker given the number of jacket styles they made. The A2 I posted above is not like any other maker, just a bit unique. They did different styles that don't resemble another maker. My half belt is not like other known makers from that era.

Another mystery to solve.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
One of the perils of buying vintage is the word mint. This is an alarm bell. Mint jackets exist , But rarely.

I recalled this jacket from Etsy. The paperwork I would love to have. I never discussed The jacket With the seller.

There is a wealth of information here.

jeo

One Too Many
One of the perils of buying vintage is the word mint. This is an alarm bell. Mint jackets exist , But rarely.
There are varying degrees of what I’d consider mint.

Generally speaking, for me it needs to be all original with little to no signs of wear. Jackets in this category are plentiful, you just have to pay up.

What’s rare is Deadstock/NOS/unworn.

Regardless of what a seller puts in the description, it’s on the buyer to do their due diligence and decide for themselves if it’s mint or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred