Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Question

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Does anyone have an idea how old this suit might be? It's a tweed pinstripe. The only tag that I can find on it reads, "David George Collection - Roma, Paris, New York, London." Lining reads, "David George." I bought it from another Lounger, who bought it at a thrift store. It might be custom made.

tweed3.jpg
tweed2.jpg
tweed1.jpg

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:
1970s at the earliest.

Thanks. What leads you to that conclusion? I have no idea how to date suits. Also, any ideas about place of origin or whether or not this suit was custom made? Suggestions on where I might find information about the "David George Collection"?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Sure. The first clue was the shape of the lapels. Usually vintage notched lapels are smooth and 'stretched' vertically. 1970s notched lapels (like yours) are sharp and pointy.

The lining screams '70s or later. And anything from "so-and-so's Collection" is newer: there weren't designer suits back in the day.

As for where it was made or info on David George, I don't know.

Cheers!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:
Sure. The first clue was the shape of the lapels. Usually vintage notched lapels are smooth and 'stretched' vertically. 1970s notched lapels (like yours) are sharp and pointy.

The lining screams '70s or later. And anything from "so-and-so's Collection" is newer: there weren't designer suits back in the day.

As for where it was made or info on David George, I don't know.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I really like the suit, but, as I said, had no idea how to date it.

BTW, I enjoy your blog.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Gilgamark said:
Thanks for the info. I really like the suit, but, as I said, had no idea how to date it.

BTW, I enjoy your blog.

Cheers!

Not a bad suit you have there. I do like the fabric. I kind of like some pieces from the '70s (vintage-inspired stuff), before things went bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot