Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage recipies

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
stock pot

ooh i just was talking to my dad, here is a vintage cooking idea for the truly devoted; it hearkens back to victorian times...

the Stock Pot; a pot kept boiling over the fire into which various leftovers are continually added, the constant boil keeping off the bacteria, and the flavor keeps a-changing since the contents are different every time. my other grandma did this(the English one), learned from her mother, in the slums of Aston... later in life she made a rendition of this by combining multiple flavors of Cambell's soup and letting it sit for a few days. i kid you not.

Feraud

Bartender
*KEY LIME PIE
4 large egg yolks
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
Baked 9 inch Graham Cracker crust

Beat eggs until thick and light yellow.
Add sweetened condensed milk.
Stir in half of the juice until blended.
Add remaining juice and blend in.
Pour mixture into pie shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until set.

I made one last night and it was awesome!

*To only be made with real Key Limes.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Alice B Toklas ( the subject of the famous work by G Stein) was an excellent cook. She wrote a couple of books about food. Their Saturday evenings soirees in Paris in the 20s, 30s and beyond, became famous in the literary and artistic circles of that time. Here are a couple of recipes:

Soup a la Cardinale

Beef soup simmered with parsley, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pounded hazelnuts.Pour over croutons, sprinkle with Parmesan and chopped liver.

There are so many other recipes, but people who are conscious of their waistlines should abstain from them really lol ...the "Extravagant Mashed Potatoes" sees four baked potatoes being mashed and then mixed with two CUPS butter..:eek: Extravagant indeed!!!!!!

euphemiasdoll

New in Town
directions

Joie DeVive said:
Here's another one from the same book. Still almost no directions. :eusa_doh:

Louisiana Pecan Cake

2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
4 cup flour
2 lb raisins or dates
1 qt shelled pecans
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup brandy
6 whole eggs
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon and spice
1-4 t salt

Bake in a slow oven 2 hours.
so you would probably(correct me if I'm wrong)
Cream butter and sugar
Sift flour, soda spices and salt
Separate yolks and whites
beat yolks lightly, (with brandy)
Beat whites to form soft peaks
add 1/4 of the flour mix to creamed butter mix lightly
add 1/4 of the yolk mix to flour and butter mixture, mix lightly
and so on until all ingredients are added and thoroughly mixed
stir in pecans and dates
and lastly fold in lightly the egg whites

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Fedora Lounge Cook Book

Ok gals, im new to this place but i first have to say that I LOVE it, and I was thinking it would be tons of fun for us to share some recipes. our own fedora lounge cook books. Ideas for snacks, quick meals for our men and sweet treats, as well as any thing else you would like to add...
I will start with my FAV. Of all time...

Sweet Potato Cheesecake

3 each, cream cheese 3 ounce packages, soft
1 cup sugar granulated
1/4 cup brown sugar, light
1 3/4 cups sweet potatoes, or yams mashed *
2 large eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk undiluted
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¬? teaspoon cinnamon ground
¬? teaspoon nutmeg ground
*you can also use pumpkin pie spice*

* for the yams all you have to do is peal them and cut into chunks and boil till fork soft, just like you would do for mashed potatoes. Once they are done I drain the water off and use a hand mixer to get them as smooth as I can.

Cheesecake: Beat cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl.
Beat sweet potatoes, eggs, and milk.
Add cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Beat well.
Pour into crust. (I use a pre made graham cracker crust)

Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until edge is set.
Put in refrigerator for a few hours or over night.

I then top it with mini marshmallows and put under the broiler till it's a light brown.

Man it's good! I some times put them in the mini graham cracker crusts and give them away to people at work, they cant believe it’s sweet potato.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am going to move this to "The Golden Era' subforum, where it can be merged with the recipe thread already going there.

We have some lovely gentlemen who cook as well, so its no fair keeping all the good recipes in the Powder Room!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I have some handwritten recipes from my great grandma, I'll scan them in at college (I don't have a scanner!)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I have my Grandmothers old cookbook (notes). However some of them are a leetle out of date - having lived through the war she had a fair few ration recipes in there, and some rather repulsive sounding ingredients as a result :rolleyes: However, I am going to have a proper sort through it at some point, as I'm sure there's more than enough worth salvaging and using. I may scan it if I get the time.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Mock Turtle Soup

I just had to share this, though suffice to say I've never made it! it's from a 1913 cookbook - "Cashell's Shilling Cookery"

MOCK-TURTLE SOUP

"The best mock-turtle soup is made from calf's head, and can be made either thick or clear. Mock-turtle soup is so far the nicest mode of cooking calf's head, that I will give directions for making the soup from the head direct, and not from the remains of a calf's head cooked before in some other way."

The recipe is quite long, and I can't write it all here, but I'll try and scan it in. One of the ingredients is "egg balls!"

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
My grandmother gave me lots of recipes!! She makes a beautiful "gratin dauphinois" (slices of potatoes, cream, cheese cooked in an oven). I try to do my best to make it as good as hers... But she must have a secret!! lol

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
1950s Pork Chops With Cheese

It's time to resurrect this thread!

I have made this twice and it is wonderful. If you use a thinner chop, reduce the cooking time (mine took 25 minutes last night).

Pork Chops with Cheese
serves 6

6 Pork chops
1/4 cup of flour with the following seasonings
paprika (I just sprinkled this in)
salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
pepper (I used 1/4 tsp)
butter or margarine to fry in
3/4 c milk
8 oz package of light cream cheese cubed
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 c parmesan cheese

Coat the chops in flour and brown in butter. Heat milk in separate sauce
pan and add cream cheese, garlic salt and 1/4 c of parmesan cheese, mixing
until well-blended. Place chops in a 12x8 baking dish. Cover with sauce
and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake at 325 for 50 mins or until
chops are tender.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Feraud said:
scan0213.jpg

scan0214.jpg

scan0215.jpg

Edit:

oops! neve rmind, I have the Good and Easy cookbook...but I think my mom may still have this party book hidden away. lol

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
My Spice Cake!

I was inspired by some of the cake decorations in the pictures in the cookbooks posted here.

This is a doctored up Spice Cake mix (made according to Old-Fashioned Apple Sauce Spice Cake recipe) with homemade Cream Cheese Icing.

DSC_0643.jpg

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
I have my mother's old cookbook, and most of her and my father's wedding gifts. The presentation in those is amazing. My father's WW2 Army cookbook sure shows using plenty of lard!

Here is one of the favorites from my childhood - Hassenpfeffer

Place rabbit in a large pot, with enough water to cover it and allow for what boils off

Add 1/2 cup vinnegar

add pickling spices (place in cheesecloth for ease in removal)

cook until meet is falling off bones

remove rabbit

remove spices

mix flour with water in a cup to make a thin paste

while stirring boiling juice, slowly add flour to make gravy

serve with mashed potatoes (make "wells" on each plate with mashed potatoes, filling them with gravy) and string beans

~*Red*~

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
I was inspired by some of the cake decorations in the pictures in the cookbooks posted here.

This is a doctored up Spice Cake mix (made according to Old-Fashioned Apple Sauce Spice Cake recipe) with homemade Cream Cheese Icing.

DSC_0643.jpg

NoirDame, that looks delicious!!! Let me know how it tastes later!;)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Well...the frosting tastes good.

Won't eat until tomorrow since I made it for company.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A couple from my grandmother's cookbook, c. 1933. Bear in mind that cod was one of the cheapest fishes you could get on the Maine coast at that time, and folks ate a lot of it.

Codfish Loaf

1 cup scalded milk
1 cup soft bread crumbs
2 cups flaked codfish
Grated rind of half a lemon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp. butter
2 eggs, beaten

Pour scalded milk onto bread crumbs and let set until crumbs soak most of it up. Combine with fish, lemon rind, salt, pepper and butter. Fold in eggs. Turn into oiled loaf pan, bake in moderate oven for 45 mins or until loaf is firm. Serve hot.

Codfish Cakes

3 cups diced raw potatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded salt codfish
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten

Combine potatoes and codfish, boil until potatoes are soft. Drain and mash potatoes and codfish into paste, add butter, pepper, and egg, beat until blended. Drop by tablespoon into hot fat, fry until brown, drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24