Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Riding & Equestrian Apparel

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Below are a couple of photographs of me in my riding gear! Hope you all enjoy!

l_38a1c3f39aeb401c82523e3e7ed2d626.jpg

Picture034.jpg

More to come! Those breeches are my favourites as they're fall front with buttoning at both hips and a really very nice high-rise! I'm wearing some of my more informal formal riding clothes in the bottom one where I've got on the blue spread collared button cuff shirt and sweater instead of a stand up detachable collar shirt with cravat and waist-coat but, I am wearing my favourite hacking jacket! You can't see it very well here, but, it is a gorgeous green micro-houndstooth with an over window-pane of rich rust orange! Its three button with the top button rolling into the lapel! My formal waist-coat will be ready in a couple of weeks when I've gotten it back from the tailor after the final fitting! Its goldenrod yellow silk linen blend in a linen weave and selvage buttons. It looks exactly like this one below:
scan.jpg

From which image I had my waist-coat reproduced by my tailor.

Post Scriptum: Remember to add images and descriptions! :)

P.P.S. I know, I know! The riding boots don't fit perfectly! I'm saving up for those semi-custom Der Daus as J. Lobb ones are too bloody much. Dress boots are where its at, aye?!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
0823091513.jpg

At the Los Angeles Equestrian Center after going for a ride with my girl. Green hounds-tooth check with rust coloured over-window-pane plaid hacking jacket, dark mustard yellow linen silk, linen weave selvage button notched lapel waist-coat; 2X5 DB, custom, white, detachable collar tunic shirt with French cuffs, green fall-front side buttoning small wing jodhpurs, black dress boots, antique stag handle riding crop, Harris tweed cap, silver stud. etc....

1106092107.jpg

Casual Summer riding togs (can't see 'em but I'm wearing dark gray winged jodhpurs with black dress boots) The coat is an ecru linen patch pocket model with a belted back and a single vent. It has turn back concealed button cuffs too! Quite unusual! Gray Arrow sport shirt (I usually wear this with a gold cotton scarf rolled and tied as a cravat, its a Hindu scarf). Oh, and a white panama hat which I'm not wearing here....

draws

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
0823091513.jpg

At the Los Angeles Equestrian Center after going for a ride with my girl

1106092107.jpg

Casual Summer riding togs (can't see 'em but I'm wearing dark gray winged jodhpurs with black dress boots) The coat is an ecru linen patch pocket model with a belted back and a single vent. It has turn back concealed button cuffs too! Quite unusual! Gray Arrow sport shirt (I usually wear this with a gold cotton scarf rolled and tied as a cravat, its a Hindu scarf). Oh, and a white panama hat which I'm not wearing here....
Nice waistcoat! If you don't mind my asking, how much were you hit up for it?

I am looking for either a tattersall or canary waistcoat for riding as well. Can't seem to find much in size 42L for a reasonable price. I'll be posting some photos soon as well.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
0823091811.jpg

My fiance, Celene at the Equestrian Center in her casual riding gear; Black slim breeches, Black cardigan, Electric blue V-Neck shirt, Antique (1920s) Ox-blood coloured field boots with pegged heels and semi-squared soles but chisel-tip toes, my antique riding crop, an ivory nautilus necklace, and a large Sun-hat in motley coloured gray. Oh, and my Swiss medic's bag and her furry leopard belt with steel buckle. She looks Gorgeous here! (like Always! Hehe!) This is before she got her ultra-short bob-cut.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
draws said:
Nice waistcoat! If you don't mind my asking, how much were you hit up for it?

I am looking for either a tattersall or canary waistcoat for riding as well. Can't seem to find much in size 42L for a reasonable price. I'll be posting some photos soon as well.

It came to about $180. (USD) but, I had it made up for me out of an Italian linen, silk blend material that made up the bulk of the price. It was also a special order material that had been out of stock for several years. I was actually the first to order it in maybe three to seven years! Can you believe it?! The waist-coat itself wasn't that crazy and if you get it in a canary yellow suiting felt as they really are supposed to be made, it probably wouldn't come to too much. You can even buy the fabric yourself and have him make it up for you out of it, you just have to check with him regarding the yardage. He does GORGEOUS work and you can have selvage buttons which no one else will have, I can assure you! Plus, most of the off-the-rack waist-coats on the market are Dreck! His waist-coats start at around $65. (USD) and the price is generally negotiable when getting a basic $65. model for up-grades to fabric quality or when purchasing and providing one's own yardage. He also travels the country doing measurements and fittings et al. He's a good chap and knows his business. One more thing, if you are ordering more than one item, he throws in shipping for free. He also does any necessary alterations for free, generally speaking.

How've you been of late? I've not heard from you in a few!

I've decided upon just saving up for a pair of these in tan....It'll just take a while....UGH! The anticipation and the wait are KILLING me!
http://www.laspampaspolo.com/shop/P...Boots-Men-Women-and-Children-Sizes-p-336.html
and a pair of WPG American spurs and leathers at $35. when I get the boots. I LOVE the light brown (russet/tan) leathers and the whole set is quite fetching really!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A while back I caught up on the history and derivation of tattersall vests. Fascinating. There was a horse trader near London, called tattarsall's. They used to use a simple yellow plaid cloth as a blanket for the horses. That cloth would get cut up to be used as waistcoats, and voila! a fashion icon.
My neice rides (she's in her last year at vet school, and will quite possibly become a horse doctor.) Just curiouis as to which of the more iconic garments and styles (hacking jacket, breeches, hats and helmets, etc.) are really the most practical and useful as well.

draws

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
It came to about $180. (USD) but, I had it made up for me out of an Italian linen, silk blend material that made up the bulk of the price. It was also a special order material that had been out of stock for several years. I was actually the first to order it in maybe three to seven years! Can you believe it?! The waist-coat itself wasn't that crazy and if you get it in a canary yellow suiting felt as they really are supposed to be made, it probably wouldn't come to too much. You can even buy the fabric yourself and have him make it up for you out of it, you just have to check with him regarding the yardage. He does GORGEOUS work and you can have selvage buttons which no one else will have, I can assure you! Plus, most of the off-the-rack waist-coats on the market are Dreck! His waist-coats start at around $65. (USD) and the price is generally negotiable when getting a basic $65. model for up-grades to fabric quality or when purchasing and providing one's own yardage. He also travels the country doing measurements and fittings et al. He's a good chap and knows his business. One more thing, if you are ordering more than one item, he throws in shipping for free. He also does any necessary alterations for free, generally speaking.

How've you been of late? I've not heard from you in a few!

I've decided upon just saving up for a pair of these in tan....It'll just take a while....UGH! The anticipation and the wait are KILLING me!
http://www.laspampaspolo.com/shop/P...Boots-Men-Women-and-Children-Sizes-p-336.html
and a pair of WPG American spurs and leathers at $35. when I get the boots. I LOVE the light brown (russet/tan) leathers and the whole set is quite fetching really!

Nice boots. Hope you can pick them up soon. I'll PM you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
Just curiouis as to which of the more iconic garments and styles (hacking jacket, breeches, hats and helmets, etc.) are really the most practical and useful as well.
Boots.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
A while back I caught up on the history and derivation of tattersall vests. Fascinating. There was a horse trader near London, called tattarsall's. They used to use a simple yellow plaid cloth as a blanket for the horses. That cloth would get cut up to be used as waistcoats, and voila! a fashion icon.
My neice rides (she's in her last year at vet school, and will quite possibly become a horse doctor.) Just curiouis as to which of the more iconic garments and styles (hacking jacket, breeches, hats and helmets, etc.) are really the most practical and useful as well.

I had heard part of that, the bit about Tattersall's, but the bit about the horse blankets being cut up and sewn into waist-coats makes a lot of sense and is really fascinating! Bravo!

Well, as to iconic and functional garments, I would say that hacking jackets are certainly functional as they keep out the damp and cold of the English countryside (or the East Coast of the United States for that matter) while riding early in the morning or any other time for that matter and as the hacking jackets are made up of heavy duty English tweed (or are at least supposed to be), they are relatively thorn proof and prevent one from being thrashed and scraped to death by underbrush whilst hunting and riding through thickets and over hedges. Breeches are often made up out of bedford cord which is resilient and thorn resistant and also quite stretchy, breeches are also made up out of buckskin which is leather and is extremely resilient and when in the right weight, can be rather thorn and brush resistent as well as allowing for a glove-like fit. Breeches also allow for greater movement with a closer fit around the thighs without the lower leg fabric causing drag or catching on anything. They also prevent one's legs from over-heating while riding in warmer weather that way there are not any more layers between one's legs and the outside aside from this, the fewer layers that there are between the rider's legs and the horse, the better the grip and comfort and control which one may exercise while riding.

Helmets protect one from banging one's head against low-hanging branches while riding and provide marginal protection from head injuries if not neck injuries while jumping.

As regards hats; Cokes or Derbies or Bowlers were originally produced by Samual Coke if memory serves and they were produced as a form of semi-helmet for a certain gentleman's groomsmen while they were riding. That is why the bowler is basically structured like a very hard felt version of a riding helmet which was rather marginally harder than a bowler.

Tall English riding boots protect one's legs from being jostled and bruised when riding with other riders in groups and when jumping together and also protect one's clothes from being bespattered with mud and such while out in the field, they also protect one's legs from underbrush and thorns.

The cravat keeps the neck warm. The waist-coat is usually made up of felted woolens to provide added warmth and protection from thorns and underbrush.

Oh, and GLOVES! These are a must and protect one from bruising or skinning one's palms and fingers while holding the reins. They are especially useful if the horse gets out of control for any reason.

draws

Practically Family
GallatinHatMan said:
I guess my blue jeans, flannel shirt, cowboy boots and hat won't really fit in, huh?
Riding apparel is all relative. Western wear is perfectly acceptable. Any photos along that line are appreciated. I've got a few photos coming shortly.

CliffG

One of the Regulars
The drawing of the waistcoat is similar to one that Gomez Adams wears in the movie Adams family Values, If I remember correctly his is cranberry collor and it is later in the movie when he is wearing it, or close to the end. I liked that waistcoat a lot when I saw it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24