Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Riding & Equestrian Apparel

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
alden405 said:
IMG_2141.jpg
Sort of 1920s through 1930s industrial prospector look! (My mum's grandfather sported stuff like that while working as an oil man in South America during the Great Depression (after he'd already left the Dakotas because of issues stemming from the lack of work and legal problems over his having been a boot-legger! Hahahaaa!) Interesting look though, sort of Indiana Jones meets Big Game Hunter or Oil Man.

Cheers!

alden405

A-List Customer
the breeches are ww2 GI,the boots made by Dehner,shirt and coat belonged to Grandfather on mothers side
belt from a trip to Mexico and Hat from Optimo

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
alden405 said:
the breeches are ww2 GI,the boots made by Dehner,shirt and coat belonged to Grandfather on mothers side

Very interesting! I thought that the belt looked like Mexican leather work. That's an embossed and two-toned leather belt-buckle, yes? Quite interesting! Have you tried braces with your breeches? I find that they give better support and comfort while riding. Great boots; new or vintage?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
0414091759a.jpg

More of my Summer/Tropical/Desert weight riding apparel. Khaki cotton jacket (I want to have the sleeve lining replaced though, it gets too hot and binds too much), the jacket has a dust and storm flap under the collar which is nice, also patched pockets breast pockets though regular non-patched but buttoning and flapped hip pockets. Pea green bedford cord, slightly flared fall front hip-side buttoning jodhpurs with brown leather knee patches and stirrup set-ups (I need new stirrup straps and another button on the inside of each leg), dark brownish-green colour changing cotton tropical weight shirt with black mother of pearl buttons and buttoned and flapped patched breast pockets and a two button collar with extra long collar points (I LOVE this shirt! but need to have my tailor re-make it for me as its rather worn - I spend a lot of time in the heat out here in California), white elastic suspenders, black dress boots, white straw hat, assorted accessories. I usually wear this ensemble with a gold and rust coloured Hindu scarf tied into an Ascot cravat (square knot).

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
My Grandfather:

GrandpaJackFriendsRidingGear.jpg

Grandfather (far left in the whitish jacket) and friends post liberation and post war in riding togs.
People either rode horses or motorcycles after the war, petrol was not readily available for non military personnel in my grandfather's locality. He was in The-Back-End-of-Nowhere, Poland. Had to put it up though! I love the riding gear that these guys are sporting here!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
CliffG said:
Are those Levi's 501s? What brand Western boot do you prefer? I always like Durango and Justin Brand Ropers and Tall Ropers I just wish they made boots with a Roper toe but with a Cuban heel and a tall shaft! (the DREAM!) Have you tried Frye's boots? I hear tell that they're wonderful! By the by, Awesome hat!

When I ride Western, I wear a black gaucho hat (kind of like the one that Zorro wears, but with a slight angling of the brim it turns down slightly in the front and back), a Mexican style yoked shirt in cream with ivory barrel buttons, and caramel brown yoke and cuff trim with khaki or black Levi's 514s or 517s and black Justin or Durango Ropers and a black leather belt with plain steel or silver buckle. I try and get a picture up soon! I Love the look! Have you tried Western style shirts with yokes at all, do you prefer plaid, solid, or patterned shirts? By the by, I like the horse! Yours? If so, what's your horse's name?

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Evan,
This is me and my horse, this is pictures that are about 4 or 5 years old, Ringo Star is his name, but he prefers being called Ringo by his friends. The jeans I am wearing are Levi 501's, I am impressed that you could tell that in the pictures. I have owned many different pairs of boots over my life, I have had quite a few pairs of Durango and Justin boots, I got hooked on the Tony Lama boots back in the late 70's or early 80's because you could get the tall shaft that came up almost to my knee. I would be a Tony Lama boot wearer if I could still get that particular model but with all things they too pass. The Tony Lama model 6242 Black Label was the boot for me. the boot I am wearing in this picture is the Olathe 6906 the heal is about 2 inches tall , it has an under slung heal similar to the Cuban heal, or what I call a roping heal, and leather sole.
I have never seen a pair of Frye's boots but will have to do some looking to see what they area all about.
I think Whites boots out of Spokane Washington can build you a boot exactly like you are describing, and they used to offer a life time guarantee and the prices for the quality were spot on also.
Thanks for the compliment on my hat, it is a Resistless that I purchased many years back and reshaped to suite my liking, styled loosly around the Guss Hat from the movie Lonesome Dove.
I do not remembe the shirt I was wearing, but it would have been a western shirt with the yoke on the back, and white pearl snaps instead of buttons, I prefer the lighter colors with a light vertical stripe, but do have one black tailored shirt with the pearl colored snaps and a nice yoke on the back. It is my favorite of all my western shirts.
These are Just work clothes for what Ringo and I had lined up for that day.
The saddle that Ringo is wearing is on loan from my dad, it is a Hereford brand saddle, and Dad calls it his old saddle, and his new saddle is also a Hereford brand that he bought right after the war but no one gets to ride it but Dad.
I have my own saddles but nothing can come close to this old saddle.

I look forward to seeing your pictures of you in your gaucho hat for sure!

here are a couple of pictures of the boots I was wearing that day of the picture.

TallBoot.jpg

I like the ledge on the top of the heal for your spurs to sit, the dark area on the side is from my spurs rubbing on the leather.

Boot.jpg

bothboots.jpg

With the Olathe boot you will need a 1/2 size smaller than you do with any other shoe or boot, it says so right on the side of the box, and I wear an 8 in any other foot wear but in this boot I got to have the 7 1/2.

This is that old hat I was wearing in the picture. When we moved to town it stayed at the farm for several years hanging by the wood stove until I sold the farm and we moved off to a new town. It really needs to be just thrown away or something, it is so bad off. However this hat has been in all kinds of weather from rain, to snow, to blowing winter winds and not been blown off my head.
hatsneedingworkedover.jpg

That is a turkey feather by the way.

Evan Everhart said:
Are those Levi's 501s? What brand Western boot do you prefer? I always like Durango and Justin Brand Ropers and Tall Ropers I just wish they made boots with a Roper toe but with a Cuban heel and a tall shaft! (the DREAM!) Have you tried Frye's boots? I hear tell that they're wonderful! By the by, Awesome hat!

When I ride Western, I wear a black gaucho hat (kind of like the one that Zorro wears, but with a slight angling of the brim it turns down slightly in the front and back), a Mexican style yoked shirt in cream with ivory barrel buttons, and caramel brown yoke and cuff trim with khaki or black Levi's 514s or 517s and black Justin or Durango Ropers and a black leather belt with plain steel or silver buckle. I try and get a picture up soon! I Love the look! Have you tried Western style shirts with yokes at all, do you prefer plaid, solid, or patterned shirts? By the by, I like the horse! Yours? If so, what's your horse's name?

alden405

A-List Customer
alden405 said:

Boots i had made by Dehner some time back

I prefer a belt for riding as i find my nuts have seperation issues in the saddle

Sam

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
alden405 said:
Boots i had made by Dehner some time back

I prefer a belt for riding as i find my nuts have separation issues in the saddle

Sam

Whoa there! Heh. That's pretty personal, but I get what you're saying here. I usually just wear supportive under-garments, especially when riding. I got into the habit when I started having my trousers cut and fitted as close as possible. Have you tried udder lotion on your thighs after riding? I hear that that stuff works wonders with saddle-soreness from my uncles. A jock-strap sans the cup can also work even if you don't care for more supportive under-garments. Anyhow, good luck and good riding and Great pics sir!

By the by, Dehners are Gorgeous! I saw a most excellent vintage (1930s I think it was?) though almost mint field boot model with closed shafts in TAN on the bay recently. They were beyond Perfect though, their price increased steadily and they were not in my size. Ugh. I'm just waiting for my polo boots in tan.

draws

Practically Family
CliffG said:
Evan,
This is me and my horse, this is pictures that are about 4 or 5 years old, Ringo Star is his name, but he prefers being called Ringo by his friends...............

Your photos have disappeared. Any way that you can revive them?

draws

Practically Family
Highlander said:
A few in riding attire...
SMride1-vi.jpg
and another ...
SM2ride-vi.jpg
Such a great departure from the formality of the big city and its comforts/elegance. This is what rural America was and still is for many of us. Wonderful!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Lone_Ranger said:
Stbben-12-01-09003.jpg

Hacking Jacket, by Bookster Tweeds
Boots, by Dehner
Saddle, by Stübben

Quite nice over-all sir! I especially Love the horse and your boots!

The jacket looks well, have you considered having it tailored a bit? If you nipped it in a bit in the waist (enough for only a finger and a half to one finger's breadth to fit), and having the sleeves maybe taken in some and shortened to show some cuff, it would give you a much trimmer look and silhouette. A trim silhouette can really be helpful in sporting clothing anyhow, but especially when one's riding breeches are the non-flared extra-fitted kind as have been popular of late (so that the volumes of your clothing do not clash). Do you wear a waist-coat with your tweeds and breeches, or simply wear a shirt under your tweeds when riding, or even a sweater? Also, have you an image of your horse and saddle at an angle which would be more perpendicular to the camera? I can hardly see your saddle here and your horse looks like a fine specimen and it would be better to see them as well. What's your horse's name? What model is your saddle? What type of riding gloves do you use? Have you tried Damascus motoring gloves for your riding ensemble? I usually wear these while riding, or a pair of E. German officer's gauntlets with the cuffs turned forward to show the sued interior. The Damascus motoring gloves are really amazing though with their fit and with the dexterity which they afford. I can even sew buttons and adeptly handle a needle and thread with them not to mention reins and etc. Damascus gloves come in three shades of brown, black, and white, with or without the back darting. Oh, and the E. German one's aren't cringes either and the look really neat and clean and give a good effect visually while riding which is always enjoyable for me, from the aesthetic view-point.

They're available at:
http://leatherglovesonline.com/pages2/mp7a-d302.htm

I rather fancy the Bronze and Black models and currently am wearing the Dark Tan for day-wear. They handle Beautifully for riding!

Over-all, very Nice sir! Keep 'em coming! Do you have any images of yourself riding in action as it were? That would be really wonderful!

Cheers!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
alden405 said:
CIMG0482.jpg

me and my gal,last sunda

Great set-up, Great togs, (the close up of your breeches and your coat are Perfect!) and really, Beautiful baby! :) Oh, and where was the photograph taken? I Love the building! The tile work and facade are just wonderful!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
Quite nice over-all sir! I especially Love the horse and your boots!

Over-all, very Nice sir! Keep 'em coming! Do you have any images of yourself riding in action as it were? That would be really wonderful!

Cheers!

Thanks, Evan!

The boots are Dehner Fieldboots, in Tan Calfskin. I have one other pair. Three-buckle Dehner's, in black calfskin.

The jacket actually is tapered in the waist. To the point where Bookster says most people opt for the "comfort sized" waist, which can be +1 or 2". I don't think I'll be tapering it anymore, until I get around to loosing the extra 10-15 pounds I'm packing around. I do agree that, fitted breeches make the coat look bigger than it really is. It's not as obvious when you are actually on the horse. I'd like to find a decent pair of flared breeches. (Alden405's look great) Horse Country has a few decent ones, but are out of my price range. Well, considering. I'm not going to pay that much for something that is going to be subjected to mud, and horse spit. lol

I was torn, on the sleeve length. I have a really cool pair of silver chess knight cufflinks, and it would be nice to have the sleeve shortened, to show some shirt cuff. But it gets COLD here! I actually asked for +1", in the sleeve. You loose a lot of heat in that wrist area. Let's call that functional sprezzatura ;)

I have to admit, most of the time I don't actually wear a hacking jacket. More like Patagonia fleece, in the colder months, and a polo shirt when it's warm.

I'm wearing a waist coat. You can't see it in the pictures. It's the same Glen Tweed as the coat. Tradition calls for tattersall. But, I can't stand tattersall, for some reason. I can't bring myself to wear it. A canary wool waistcoat is traditional too, but more so with a formal black, or scarlet coat (depending on your club status). I'd almost have to go south of the Mason-Dixon to find a hunt club. Or way to the east.

The saddle is a Stübben Siegfried VSD, in Havana. It also has their new Biomex seat. Very nice to ride with. The horse is Trinity, she's a Trakehner.

The gloves are a problem. It's hard for me to find a pair, that doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing clown feet. I tried a pair of Heritage riding gloves out of one of the on-line tack shops. The largest size they stocked was a 9. I need a 9.5 or 10, so it didn't work very well. (I just found out that Heritage does make them up to a size 12. I guess the tack shops just stock sizes for women? Stocking for their demographics. You go back to the Golden Age, and all the little boys grew up wanting to be cowboys, now most of them haven't seen a horse. It's hard to find men that ride, and if they do ride, most of them ride Western)

In the picture I'm actually wearing Hatch "Handler"police gloves. The model is for K-9 officers. They are neoprene, and reinforced for handling a leash, in the same places that riding gloves are reinforced for the reigns. It was Plan-B, when the tack shops didn't stock my size, in an actual riding glove.

Thanks for the tips. I need a new pair of gloves. I'll check out the ones you suggested.

PS- alden405, Everything looks great! Hat to boots. Are they repro officer breeches? The location looks fantastic, too! The little one is going to be a heart breaker.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Lone_Ranger said:
Thanks, Evan!

The boots are Dehner Fieldboots, in Tan Calfskin. I have one other pair. Three-buckle Dehner's, in black calfskin.

The jacket actually is tapered in the waist. To the point where Bookster says most people opt for the "comfort sized" waist, which can be +1 or 2". I don't think I'll be tapering it anymore, until I get around to loosing the extra 10-15 pounds I'm packing around. I do agree that, fitted breeches make the coat look bigger than it really is. It's not as obvious when you are actually on the horse. I'd like to find a decent pair of flared breeches. (Alden405's look great) Horse Country has a few decent ones, but are out of my price range. Well, considering. I'm not going to pay that much for something that is going to be subjected to mud, and horse spit. lol

I was torn, on the sleeve length. I have a really cool pair of silver chess knight cufflinks, and it would be nice to have the sleeve shortened, to show some shirt cuff. But it gets COLD here! I actually asked for +1", in the sleeve. You loose a lot of heat in that wrist area. Let's call that functional sprezzatura ;)

I have to admit, most of the time I don't actually wear a hacking jacket. More like Patagonia fleece, in the colder months, and a polo shirt when it's warm.

I'm wearing a waist coat. You can't see it in the pictures. It's the same Glen Tweed as the coat. Tradition calls for tattersall. But, I can't stand tattersall, for some reason. I can't bring myself to wear it. A canary wool waistcoat is traditional too, but more so with a formal black, or scarlet coat (depending on your club status). I'd almost have to go south of the Mason-Dixon to find a hunt club. Or way to the east.

The saddle is a Stübben Siegfried VSD, in Havana. It also has their new Biomex seat. Very nice to ride with. The horse is Trinity, she's a Trakehner.

The gloves are a problem. It's hard for me to find a pair, that doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing clown feet. I tried a pair of Heritage riding gloves out of one of the on-line tack shops. The largest size they stocked was a 9. I need a 9.5 or 10, so it didn't work very well. (I just found out that Heritage does make them up to a size 12. I guess the tack shops just stock sizes for women? Stocking for their demographics. You go back to the Golden Age, and all the little boys grew up wanting to be cowboys, now most of them haven't seen a horse. It's hard to find men that ride, and if they do ride, most of them ride Western)

In the picture I'm actually wearing Hatch "Handler"police gloves. The model is for K-9 officers. They are neoprene, and reinforced for handling a leash, in the same places that riding gloves are reinforced for the reigns. It was Plan-B, when the tack shops didn't stock my size, in an actual riding glove.

Thanks for the tips. I need a new pair of gloves. I'll check out the ones you suggested.

PS- alden405, Everything looks great! Hat to boots. Are they repro officer breeches? The location looks fantastic, too! The little one is going to be a heart breaker.

Those boots sound Wonderful! I'd love to see them on you sir!

I always wear a hacking jacket when riding unless riding Western as I haven't a good riding Frock coat and haven't had the time or free cash to have one made up by my tailor. I'll see if I can scan in an image of the style that I'm thinking of having made up for myself (which was based on a pre-WWI model which I saw worn by a Yugoslavian or Czhech farming student). If I don't feel like wearing my hacking jacket because it's just too darned hot, I'll wear a Tropical weight linen duck safari jacket with my breeches and no waist-coat but a straw-hat and a cotton cravat. When It's moderately warm, I wear a cardigan or light sweater. When it's very cold, I wear a charcoal-gray tweed double-breasted and black sheep-skin lined coat with a semi-peaked lapel and sheep-skin collar with black leather buttons over either a moderately thick navy blue coat, or my hacking jacket and my waist-coat or one of my sweaters underneath. Sometimes, when it's raining, I wear this belted black gabardine pea-coat that I've got as it keeps the wet out.....As to sleeves, try a sweater underneath to keep the cool out, or use my trick and always wear extremely thick and stiff French Cuffs with gauntlet gloves tucked into the cuffs. Even if you don't wear the gauntlet cuffs, the thick French Cuffs help to keep the cold out.

As to breeches, check out Sportsman's Guide.com! I've gotten about four or six pairs of their E. German officer's breeches for about fifteen for each two pairs. They're Gorgeous over-all, nicely flared, available in a wide range of styles and the colour isn't too bad really, a sort of stone-gray (steingrau) The cuffs on the breeches also button which is nice.

I almost always wear my golden yellow linen silk (linen weave) waist-coat when I ride, it works really well for either cold or hot weather as both linen and silk are excellent conductors of heat and humidity and also insulators. I too am not over-fond of tattersal. While it is technically appropriate and while I do find it entertaining, rustic, quaint and sort of kitschly entertaining, I don't know that I would necessarily wear it unless it were a very fine and small tattersal pattern and even then, I feel that it's more appropriate for linings and waist-coat backs. When I wear my green hounds-tooth check with rust windowpane plaid hacking jacket, I still wear my yellow waist-coat....

So that's the model of your saddle! Ha! I was wondering! It really is a beaut! The biomex seat you say? I'll have to check into that to see how they feel.

Your Trakehner Trinity she is a Gorgeous one! You've really got to put up some more images of her and I've got to get my girl to take some more pictures of me in my other riding clothes! Heh! Take care sir and talk to you soon! :)

alden405

A-List Customer
Evan Everhart said:
Great set-up, Great togs, (the close up of your breeches and your coat are Perfect!) and really, Beautiful baby! :) Oh, and where was the photograph taken? I Love the building! The tile work and facade are just wonderful!

thank

its chirnside mansion in victoria,sorry no capitals one hand holding sleeping daughter other hand typing

it used to belong to my grandmother but sadly no longer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass