Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage rucksack leather strap help needed

Doug C

Practically Family
I bought this vintage Swedish rucksack with leather straps and can't seem to figure out the proper strap configuration. The way I have it done in these pictures is the most logical BUT the pieces that run down the front of your chest is now the back side of the leather (not the smooth prettier side). There doesn't seem to be any way of turning it over because the bottom attching points (of the small stips) are permanently riveted to the metal frame and I can't see how the larger strap could attach any other way. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA.

Doug C

Flieger

Practically Family
Doug: I'm not this will help (and I hope the photo shows?) but this is one picture I found showing the strap arrangement on a Swedish R-sack.

02b2010b76f6cc7cc4f1d771cc78757b.jpg

Flieger

Doug C

Practically Family
Well, thanks Flieger.. that picture on the right is very interesting, it's exactly what I'm seeing! Except it doesn't make since IMHO. Why (I wonder) would they have the rough side of the leather exposed? The underside (would normally be seen if worn as a belt) is much nicer looking. Also, it seems to me that the rougher side would slip less against your clothing than the smooth side would. Thanks for the pictures.

Doug C

Flieger

Practically Family
I wish I knew, Doug. I think I used this kind of rucksack during my days in the Swedish Airforce (if memory serves, they where still in use as late as 1986), but for my life I can't remember if we had any problems with the straps being the "wrong" way... probably not, as something like that would have stuck to my memory. :eusa_doh:

I'm trying to figure out why they would make the R-sack with the straps that way. The main field uniform when this type of sack was new, was a grey felt one, called "m/58". Could it has something to do with that? Leather against felt? The rougher side of the leather eating into the felt? [huh]

Anyway, good luck with your rucksack. I love that model even if it gave me sores on my back during the longer hikes. ;)

/F

Doug C

Practically Family
I guess I could sand down the outside (visible) surface of the straps to match the inside part.. I may end up doing that too, I think it would look much better. I'm not that big on it being totally original.
Actually, this is the second one of these bags I have. The first one came to me in unissued condition and is nearly perfect BUT it has cheap padded straps instead of this beautifull bridle leather and it has no frame. I'll be switching these straps/frame to the first one. I've replaced the original (partially deteriorated) string with a golden leather string. Now, this latest one I got is actually two-toned. The body of the bag is a lighter brownish grey while the flap is a darker green-grey. It's pretty unique looking and I'm thinking about washing it (because it's musty smelling and slightly stained) and searching for another frame for it...

Doug C

Flieger

Practically Family
Doug C said:
I guess I could sand down the outside (visible) surface of the straps to match the inside part.. I may end up doing that too, I think it would look much better. I'm not that big on it being totally original.

Doug C

Yeah, I would probably do something similar. If you are going to use it, it is more important that it feels right then look right.

If you are looking for a new frame (or a compleat rucksack) I can reccomend this place: Active Life Eq., they have the m/39 rucksack for $15/$6 (new/used).

/Flieger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran