Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Michaelshane

One Too Many
So here's the shoes.Just as I suspected,dyed black.Acetone treatment called for.I can live with the gray mesh if I have to,but I think I'll try to bleach it out tomorrow.
P1030958.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030960.jpg
[/IMG]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mission Accomplished

Michaelshane said:
So here's the shoes.Just as I suspected,dyed black.Acetone treatment called for.I can live with the gray mesh if I have to,but I think I'll try to bleach it out tomorrow.
P1030958.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030960.jpg
[/IMG]

You would have got around USD90 on eBay before the GFC for those if the size was largish. Top job!

A recent purchase from SFer seller Distinctive:

J&M Aristocraft Saddles in Burgundy

H.Johnson

One Too Many
cookie said:
The answer is mild Acetone. But please refer to Style Forum posting on Ron Rider and antiquing for better instructions.

Acetone will remove polyacrylate dye from real leather very effectively. I have used it to get back to almost a 'natural' finish on leather. It's agressive stuff - make sure you know what you are using it on first. And it has a very low flash point and will make you 'squiffy' so its best used outdoors.

La Julia

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
P1030958.jpg
[/IMG]
P1030960.jpg
[/IMG]

They look wayyyy better! :)

YETI

A-List Customer
40s? Florsheim Grey Buck Spectators

I found these nifty kicks at a local thrift store. The suede is actually darker.
S7301231.jpg

S7301232.jpg

S7301233.jpg

PoohBang

Suspended
Just posted my vintage Spectator's on my blog...

I had my cobbler resole the front, but left the cat's paws on the heel...

DSC05078.jpg

DSC05080.jpg

as always more pics on my blog

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nettleton Suede Spectators

A recent late night purchase...anyone want to date them?

Made for the May Company.

Thought for the Day: Why are so many shoes on eBay so little worn?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
They're from the 1950s. Very handsome! The same style was also made in navy blue.

Thanks I thought so. That long leather 'half moon' treatment on the vamp is very 50s in style.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:

Thought for the Day: Why are so many shoes on eBay so little worn?

Ha! I almost fought you for those. Too many shoes as-is so I just watched it end. Congrats. They are stylish.

As far as little-worn shoes go, I've noticed that many times the ones I get in practically new condition have only very slight wear on one shoe's sole. As in, it must have been the display model which was tried on just enough to sully it beyond selling the pair for regular retail. So they get donated or somehow wind up at the thrift stores and on the 'bay.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
As fate would have it, today I scored these at a thrift shop. Very much like cookie's recent purchase but with mesh. They fit me like they were custom-made for my feet. Slightly worn condition, but for $6, I settled. :)

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Michaelshane

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
As fate would have it, today I scored these at a thrift shop. Very much like cookie's recent purchase but with mesh. They fit me like they were custom-made for my feet. Slightly worn condition, but for $6, I settled. :)

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

No thrift shops around here like that... I hate you Gene.;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails