Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style while doing chemo ?

Blondie

Practically Family
Hello ! i have just been diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer and want to still look good when my hair has all fallen out .Looking for ideas (& websites) about vintage turbans and hats etc, as i don't like the modern "turbany" headwraps that scream "I have cancer".
Thanks

Miss Bunny

New in Town
I'm not sure if this will help, but I found a lady who is a breast cancer survivor and she designs and sells some interesting hats. One thing that she offers is a "scarf pad cap" that goes under a hat. It adds volume and if you find a vintage hat that you like it may make it fit better. Here's the link: http://www.softhats.com/

Blondie said:
Hello ! i have just been diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer and want to still look good when my hair has all fallen out .Looking for ideas (& websites) about vintage turbans and hats etc, as i don't like the modern "turbany" headwraps that scream "I have cancer".
Thanks

Blondie, I'm very sorry to hear that you have to deal with this, and will pray for a VERY speedy recovery!

My suggestion might be to go for that 20's and 30's inspired feel and wear cloche style hats (you can add padding underneath if needed as Miss Bunny suggested) - in fact I have one or two I'd be happy to send to you if you are interested - just PM me, Sweetie! You can be a total glamour girl, comfy, and inspire envy in the ward! ;)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have a vintage tie on turban pattern that I can trace and send to you if you are interested. I will keep you in my prayers also.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Hey Kid!

Blondie said:
Thanks
Well, words won't come to me at the moment but I have/had (since I left florida I no longer do their grown in hair!) several clients who've gone through this & much like yourself were concerned that they would "look" like a chemo patient!So,if you will give me your address in PM I will send you some "bangs" that I made for them!!( it's a great little thing as it gives you the appearance of having hair but when you tye your "rosie" scarf it shows the look! in fact, I will change my avatar to where I'm wearing the bangs with a "rosie" scarf) When I found out one of my clients was coming in for a h/c (haircut) to shave off her remaining hair, I was actually "Draped" (sitting in the chair of another stylists station) next to where the stylist was going to be doing her hair! when the stylist got finished with the consoultation (yes even though she was just getting a shaved head we still do a consoultation!) & when they picked up the clippers to shave her head they picked up the clippers & it was only then, that she knew it was me, because the other girls had told her I'd gone to lunch when she came in!) & we shaved mine off to! so this is how I came to wear the bangs!it was great fun!I'll give you the instructions on how to do them if you'd rather do them yourself!it's great fun!
she now has a beautiful head of curly grey hair! she survived but they have found another spot this time on her lung! &......you are a survivor too!I have a friend back home in FL who is one of the leading Onocology RNs for the Florida Hospital Group of hospitals,a frined who is in school right now at university of loma linda school of nursing to become a PA if there are any questions you need answered call on me! I'll try to help!
~I'll change my avatar after I send this!~

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dear Blondie, best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Don't forget wigs! A lot of wigs these days look great, and it's instant vintage hairdo! I have seen some great 30s marcel wave styles.

Plus, when you don't have the bulk of your own hair under a wig, they look a lot less wiggy.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1CoolKitten, those are some rockin' bangs. I'd like some just for fun, as I don't want to cut bangs, but I think they would look great on me!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Blondie please get well soon. I admire that your sticking to your glamour!
I have two turbans (for the sake of elegance!) that I ordered from The Vermont Country Store: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Apparel/Womens-Accessories/Hats/Classic-Turban/D/30100/P/1:100:1010:10200:100330/I/f10168?evar3=BROWSE They make one quite the diva :D

dioremeraldturban.jpg
Turban-Lisa_Fonssagrives-Penn.jpg

SteichenNegriturban.jpg

turbans.jpg

thinkpink.jpg

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Two words: Gloria Swanson

[Dexter'sDame beams super-mega power vibes to Blondie]

Blondie,

Two words: Gloria Swanson.

If you Google some images of Gloria Swanson, there are some great ideas for turbans/headwraps--as herself, and as the character "Norma Desmond" in Sunset Boulevard.

Because the character of Norma Desmond was a woman in 1949-50 who'd never got past her 20's heyday, Edith Head's designs for Sunset Boulevard are a combination of Jazz-Age through 1950. Norma was batty, but some of her clothes were fabulous!

Bad pic of Norma, but good of the leopard turban (would look cute with the little bangs wiglet):

http://http://comecloser.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sunsetblvd.jpg

Gloria Swanson in headwrap/turban (I'll bet hair could be attached and made to look like a bob hairdo peeking out at the bottom sides--sort of like the bangs idea, but side hair instead):

http://http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vYoIziS3lcA/SEHUl_nCE7I/AAAAAAAAAtc/a0oel4V8Zhc/s320/Gloria+Swanson.jpg

Hope that helps!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm so sorry to hear your news, I'm not religious at all but I'll certainly send some good thoughts out for you.

Don't forget Little Edie, OK, some of her outfits were just bonkers but she had style. She wore the scarves due to her hair loss and made it her trademark.

Think scarves in fabrics matching your dresses, plan scarves adorned with huge diamante brooches (well, real diamond I'm sure in Edie's case...) or dress clips at the neck, or temple.

beales_of_grey_gardens_detail.jpg

ediebeale.jpg

imgres

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm truly sorry to hear about your cancer and wish you a speedy recovery!

Check out http://www.headcovers.com. They have a TON of turban styles, and offer some headcovers with hair attached, as well as wigs.

They also have fake eyebrows for chemo patients.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I can't offer other suggestions than the ones posted on here. I'll keep you in my prayers. Didn't someone on here recently buy some vintage style wigs after a very short haircut?

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Smuterella said:
I'm so sorry to hear your news, I'm not religious at all but I'll certainly send some good thoughts out for you.
I'm not religious too, but I will do the same for you!!!

Recently my lindy hop teacher had the same problem, and she bought a beautiful wig, with black long hair. She also use flowers in her wig and scarf or bandana.

Hope you will recovery soon!

B.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hello from the UK.

Firstly, Bloody Cancer.....:mad: grrrrr!!!!!! Horrid horrid horrid disease.

Secondly, lady in our group was diagnosed with an agressive type in her breast in 2007. She's now 'all clear' and like you a super stylish vintage gal!

She wore some superb wigs throughout her chemo and she bought them on ebay. (I'll ask her the name of the shop) she took the opportunity to experiment with colour shapes etc.

Positive waves your way Blondie...always enjoy your posts. You can do it gal!

Kate xx

The Shirt

Practically Family
My prayers are with you too. You've always been such a great part of this forum. Please know that we are all behind you! I second many of the suggestions posted - just wanted to chime in my support. My aunt too has fought and won against a very aggressive breast Cancer. You can do this and know that our little online community will cheer you on whenever you need a little encouragement.

Blondie

Practically Family
You gals are all simply FABULOUS !!!!
I just bought 2 turbans from the Forever 21 online store,
and 1*Cool*Kitten has the most amazing idea with the rosie bandana & faux bangs, i think she should open an Etsy store with these,
there has to be more than just a few of us vintage gals that have the dreaded C word, and like me want to be able to still look fab while feeling like crap !
I just want to thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes !
Keep the ideas a-comin !
xoxoxo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112