Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

For a buck ninety-nine at a local Goodwill store ...

IMGP2264.jpg

IMGP2262.jpg

I'm guessing they're '60s vintage. Very well made by American Optical. They're now my wife's.

Last edited:

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Got another set of Wayfarer's at a local thrift yesterday, a little beat but they were a good price so I'm not to worried.

They are a little odd though, and I'm wondering how old they are. They have B&L 5024 on the inside above the right-eye lens, and have both the usual WAYFARER on the left arm and B&L Ray-Ban USA on the right. The odd thing is that they do not say Ray-Ban on the outside of the arms, instead they just have the gold 'rivet' like on the front. Anyone know how, or where, one could procure an accurate date on them? They also feel lighter than my other vintage pair (circa late 60's/early 70's).

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I know some Wayfarers don't have the Rayban logo on the outside of the arms and have that small oval like on the front of the rims, I had a pair like that in tortoise, I forget what year they are from but they were genuine and they were pretty sweet!

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I took some photos of my pair or 'farers. Please keep in mind that I am not a very good photographer :)

The black set are the ones I picked up on the weekend, the blue set I picked up last fall.

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

-Graham

Pompidou

One Too Many
215888_1626042340351_1515318688_31218183_3838965_n.jpg

These finally came in the mail from that German company on eBay others have talked about. 20s, celluloid, French - that's all I know. They look cool and go with my hat. Never seen anyone with anything similar, and that's what counts most.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up

These finally came in the mail from that German company on eBay others have talked about. 20s, celluloid, French - that's all I know. They look cool and go with my hat. Never seen anyone with anything similar, and that's what counts most.

I asked him about fitting lenses to celluloid and he advised not to go to acetate (modern plastic).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I had a pair like that many years ago. I do remember that they were comfortable.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I had a pair like that many years ago. I do remember that they were comfortable.

They are. They're light as a feather and don't leave pock marks on my nose. I got my first comments on them yesterday and was told, "You look like a mad scientist with those on!" I couldn't ask for a better compliment.

Blooze

Familiar Face
I have a question for all of you sunglass experts. I have very light sensitive eyes due to many surgeries thru the years and have a very hard time finding any lenses that are dark enough. I wouldn't mind finding a pair of vintage frames I like and then have lenses put in, but have no idea how dark you can go with them. For reference, I haven't found a modern pair of sunglasses yet, except glacier glasses, that are dark enough for me. I have to have my wife drive me to work most mornings now because the morning light is too much for me to keep my eyes open, but by noon it's much better. Any suggestions?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
They are by no means vintage, but I found glasses at Home Depot that are amazing in the brightest conditions. They are sold as outdoor work/safety glasses and look like ski glasses. The lenses, from the front, have sort of a purple/green/blue reflective hue.

Although close, these are not exactly what I have because the styles change every so often, but they're close:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The best thing to do is to go in and check them out. When I put them on I couldn't believe how well they cut the brightness and glare while still keeping everything sharp enough to see clearly. And they wrap around so light doesnt leak in from the sides. HD has other models of outdoor safety glasses that might suit your needs if you dont like those particular DeWalts.

Another option for you are 'Blue Blockers.' They have orange-colored lenses that, from initial examination, dont look like theyd do anything effective, but when you put them on you see how they, like the Dewalts above, eliminate glare without losing any sharpness. I wear my BB's when its foggy and I can see better than without them.

Last edited:

Freightpilot

New in Town
If this has been posted here I apologize (I havent made it through the whole thread yet)
I have ordered glasses from these people for over 30 years with good luck. I have been wearing Ray Ban outdoorsman (aviator with a brow bar) with prescription lenses since the late 70's and they have always had a good supply of Ray Ban parts and frames. They have always been easy to work with and have always been willing to make up whatever I need. Sometimes hard to get hold of them on the phone but they have always been willing to take the time to answer all my questions when I do.

http://www.hidalgos.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner