Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Wild Root

Gone Home
:eusa_clap

Fantastic job! See, you never know what you'll find! Those I'd say are early 30's! Wilson Goggles were a common manufacturer in the 10's and 20's... they made sun glasses and goggles up till the 50's I think... not sure. It's a shame the back part is broken off but, maybe you'll find another pair of these that aren't in good shape but, have a good arm you could use. Just an idea.

Even though they're slightly damaged, for $3. who's going to notice!

Enjoy them,
=WR=

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my other sunglasses

this is a pair of reproduction sunglasses. they're about 20 years old. And it's not like I stole them from my dad or anything...

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Struck by vintagehappines!

Oh thank you Wild Root! It was such a GREAT experience buying them, even greater to hear your estimation! And yes good idea to pinch the arm of another broken pair (if you gents do id like to buy them).

I am SO enjoying to a proud member amongst such dapper and knowledgable gents! Thankyouthankyou all of you..:D

Woho! Long live the internet, long live the fedora lounge, long live the queen of denmark..
err.. or something :arated:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hammelby said:
Oh thank you Wild Root! It was such a GREAT experience buying them, even greater to hear your estimation! And yes good idea to pinch the arm of another broken pair (if you gents do id like to buy them).

I am SO enjoying to a proud member amongst such dapper and knowledgable gents! Thankyouthankyou all of you..:D

Woho! Long live the internet, long live the fedora lounge, long live the queen of denmark..
err.. or something :arated:

The pleasure is all mine! I'm happy you found a pair just like the ones in the photo you supplied... those could even be late 20's... not sure but, it's a possibility.

I have a pair of Wilson Goggles... they're a metal frame and green lenses with light green plastic tubes over the ear hooks... original! They came in the old olive green tin as well! I'll post a photo of them here soon.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Dinerman said:
my other sunglasses

this is a pair of reproduction sunglasses. they're about 20 years old. And it's not like I stole them from my dad or anything...

and a pair of dime store sunglasses I picked up at a local vintage shop.

a picture of me wearing the vintage dime store ones

and me wearing the repro glasses. I like them a whole heck of a lot more. the quality on them is a lot better.

Funny, the repros are better made then the vintage ones... well, I believe the repros are made of a more solid plastic then the originals. The dime store pair looks to be late 40's or early 50's... I like the color on them! The repros look pretty cool, I like the real 40's style they have!

Looking classic!

=WR=

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
the repros are made out of much heavier weight plastic. They also are better castings. The old ones have big casting lines that cut into your ears. I tried filing them down without much success. The lenses on the newer ones also have less distortion. The old ones have a gap between the earpieces and the body of the sunglasses and the hinge is a rivet.
The new ones line up proper and have a screw hinge.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, that's true. Well, dime store glasses of that period were designed cheaply hence them being sold at Kress or Woolworths. ;)

They did have quality eye wear then, it just cost more and is harder to find. I have some nice examples but, I really have to say I like those repops you have... they'd look so sharp with a nice two tone coat and gabardine slacks and two tone shoes or white bucks! Man, I could build a whole outfit around those great shades! lol

=WR=

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
I have a pair of Wilson Goggles... they're a metal frame and green lenses with light green plastic tubes over the ear hooks... original! They came in the old olive green tin as well! I'll post a photo of them here soon.

=WR=

Please do!

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Just a short update....
I found to great retro sunglasses on ebay,
unfortunately got outbid on one, hate when that happens:rage: ,
but still got the other pair.
Probably not 100% retro but kind of cool and somewhat retro looking
9e_1_b.JPG

Cheers,
Christoph

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

Yeah, I was kinda thinking, about 20 or more years after what most on FL consider vintage or retro, but to each their own. I was kind of thinking they look like what Jack Nicholson could have worn while driving Shirley MacLaine along the shore in Terms of Endearment. They're getting close, though - "Elvis has left this lifetime" a little over 29 years ago, I believe.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Ah, I knew John Lennon was still around. Matt, with absolute utmost respect, I humbly suggest you stick with fedoras. Fedoras suit you like nobody's business. Then again, I am not used to seeing a pic of you in a newsboy hat.

I like Roy Orbison's glasses, (he wore the same exact style since the '50's) though I don't think they look good on a face with angular features such as mine. I left my cheap sunglasses at a restaurant so I'll take this thread to the nearest sunglass hut.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I disagree... Matt looks good in caps... and if you saw him in person, it would be different. The cap he's wearing is circa 1920's, the glasses are about the same period if not earlier.

I know Lennon and most other full fledged members of the hippy movement wore those styles but, pared with the right clothes it brings the whole look to an earlier time then the 60's.;)

Oh my, those are so Elvis! We're talking 70's Elvis... Viva Los Vegas!lol
9e_1_b.JPG

I'll post some of mine very soon.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR