Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

JoeSki

New in Town
Jerekson said:
Depends what you're looking for. If you need something cheap just type "round sunglasses" in eBay. If you want some vintage quality, type "antique sunglasses".

Do any of these strike your fancy?

I do like the pair on the bottom right. The tint isn't what I'm looking for, but even so they look quite stylish. The frames are wonderful.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Glasses2-vi.jpg
a recent pair of "amber/yellow" lens glasses that I had made, with vintage frames that the optomotrist happened to have

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Berkshire Chase English Warwick

If you are looking for new prescription frames a current manufacturer is Berkshire Chase, but they call the style English Warwick. The glasses I'm wearing in my avatar are this brand. They come as plain wire frame in gold or silver, but I have mine custom wrapped with a plastic coating for comfort.

Your optometrist should be able to order them for you, or do a Google search for on-line retailers.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Won These Sunglasses - Opinions?

Just won these sunglasses on Ebay. Seller says they are WWII-era aviators but have no markings. They are supposed to be in a very good condition with no scratches on lenses. I was thinking about seeing if my jeweler could polish up the frames and make sure all the hinges are tight.

Oh...I paid $10 for them. :) Thoughts on the look and design?

sun.jpg

sun2.jpg

Pip

A-List Customer
Look to be a nice pair of the USAAF "Comfort Cable" sun glasses.

Good buy!

No idea on having the checkover though, perhaps speak to an optician?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Those are some pretty sweet shades for only $10.

I would recommend taking them to an optician for tightening and a jeweler for the polishing. Many optical stores will do free adjustments even if you don't purchase anything.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
They look like they'd be pretty easy to do yourself. I'd un-screw the hinges to remove the lenses. Then using almost any metal polish, carefully polish and buff the frames with an old undershirt or other soft cotton cloth. Then using a toothbrush, go over it with Tarn-x (to remove any tarnish from the tiny crevasses). Wash with warm soap and water to remove any remaining residue of polish or Tarn-x. Dry and reassemble.

kools

Practically Family
kitchen337.jpg

Not today...but I'm finding a lot of photos on my computer tonight. Vintage sunglasses-1940s?

Photo taken a few months ago in Santa Monica with my son, jimmy kools. Today is Jimmy's 7th birthday.

Charlz

Familiar Face
Randolph Engineering, Crew Chiefs. Just got these and I am quite impressed with the quality. Yes by the way I am the Imelda Marcos of sunglasses.
Click on the link below.
3233877241_d6ac4de63a.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
kools said:
kitchen337.jpg

Not today...but I'm finding a lot of photos on my computer tonight. Vintage sunglasses-1940s?

Photo taken a few months ago in Santa Monica with my son, jimmy kools. Today is Jimmy's 7th birthday.

Sensational what brand are they?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I've been looking for a vintage style pair of "Sunnies" for a while now, all the shops sell big black plastic Jackie "O" Sunglasses, I nearly bought a pair of semi vintage style last weekend but the saleslady told me they were real glass! what if I fell over!!!

Imagine my delight walking along and seeing a costume hire shop in town, yes they did have round, vintage style sunglasses with UV protection. and the price? $6.00!!!!!!!! and at the rate I lose em!

3297179756_a614fe9476_m.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Those are cool, Binkie.

These are the ones I wore today. I went to my Optical shop to have them make me some 'stage shades' with my prescription but with tinting to my specifications so I could still see what key of harmonica I'm grabbing under strange lighting situations as needed. I figured I'd spend $400 ish for customs and while trying to choose frames they came out with these. The lady said, "These were given to us by another customer, an older fellow. You could just have them if you like and the whole job would only be eighty dollars." :D

They appear to be silver. I wish you could see the engraved design all around the eyepieces. I've tried to get good macro shots but think I need a different lens.

DSC_0011.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Charlz said:
Randolph Engineering, Crew Chiefs. Just got these and I am quite impressed with the quality. Yes by the way I am the Imelda Marcos of sunglasses.
Click on the link below.
3233877241_d6ac4de63a.jpg
I love the crew chiefs. There are my primary pair of sunglass. A plus for me is that they are made in Randolph, MA, and I like to support local business.

Lately, I have been wearing my Persols. I bought these in an eyeglass shop near La Fontana di Trevi in Roma. I'm wearing these more and more. Here they are in a decidedly non-vintage moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner