Vintage Telephone Ringtones

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by raiderrescuer, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Miss 1940's

Miss 1940's Practically Family

my ringer is

begun the Beguine, witchcraft and Sing Sing Sing!

2. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

I was looking for a clip of Bogart from Casablanca ... "Of all the gin joints..." as the ringtone for when my ex calls. Found it at this site. They've got a whole lot of film and tv clips for free downloading. I also grabbed "Hey Abbott!" and "Calling Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard". :D

http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies.html

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

No cellphone user myself, but I've always thought an absolutely ideal tone would be the ten-bell "flash" signal from a teletype machine. DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING! Guaranteed to make any ex-reporters in the room run for their offices.

4. Kent Allard

Kent Allard New in Town

When my cell phone rings a voice intones "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow Knows!"

Really freaks out anyone standing near me when I get a call.

5. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

:eusa_clap That's a good one. And I'm sure 75% of the people around you have no idea what that means!

As for me, I have Verizon, which means I can't use a simm card, nor does my phone accept texts with attached mp3 ringtones (as I just found out yesterday). Guess I'm stuck with the standard issue version of the classic ring, I'm not going to be able to mix it up any.

6. Holyhabanero

Holyhabanero New in Town

I'd be interested in that as well.

7. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

8. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

Yea...I think this depends on -which- phone you have with verizon....

and my telegraph thingy isn't an mp3 ....

if your phone can -record- sounds...then you can make one....it was made via the super low tech method of going to a website with an example telegraph sound that played when you hit a play button (I will have to try and refind the site).....then using the 'record sound' function on phone, pushing 'record' at the same time as pushing play, and holding the phone up to the laptop speaker.....

9. freebird

freebird Practically Family

my nokia came with a morse code sounding text message alert.

10. goldwyn girl

goldwyn girl One Too Many

I like the bell ring tones but here is my problem. I have a basic sort of phone and even less knowledge of it's potential use. So how do I get the ringtones from the website to my phone ???? The first person thats laughs dose'nt get cake. Thanks all :)

11. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

No cake for me, but if no one else answers I can call my husband and find out.
    The ringtone on my 3 year old Nokia from Cingular is called Nostalgia, which I found already included in the phone under Settings, then Tones. It sounds like the old Bell and Howell that's been in my hallway forever.
    Whenever it rings people act as if they've never heard a cell phone ring before. Why is that, I wonder?
    Well, gee, it's a telephone. It's sitting on my desk and a customer is calling. Amazing.

12. freebird

Found this wav of Lou Costello's "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey Abbbooooooottt". Unfortunately I can't use it for a ring tone (us cellular and don't want to pay the extra charges), but I can use it for a yahoo messenger alert in place of the normal tone for when you're paged.

13. DerMann

DerMann Practically Family

If you can find the site, that would be simply marvelous. I spent an inordinate amount of time searching for a vintage-y sounding telegraph key, but I couldn't find any (not quite sure what to search for, either).

14. KatNoir

KatNoir New in Town

Fabulous

What a wonderful site, Locktown Dog! Thanks for sharing it.

15. DutchIndo

DutchIndo A-List Customer

Speaking of vintage phones how many of you remember DIALING a phone !
    It seems everybody back in the 60s had one of those black telephones in their house. A far cry from cell phones who would have thought.

16. eldonkr

eldonkr Familiar Face

I have to use my girlfriends phone to hit record on the phone and play on the computer at the same time and text it to myself if I want something like that.

My current ringtone is the tone from Snakes codec on MGS. Its not loud enough for me though, I get alot of missed calls when I'm driving, if anyone wants to text me a vintage ringer or a morse code thing, feel free to. just dont sell my number to telemarketers afterwards

17. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

Ah yes...back in the day when people actually had to either 1) remember someone's phone number, or 2) look up someone's phone number. There wasn't an option to store phone numbers in a phone's "memory".

18. eldonkr

eldonkr Familiar Face

I remember that. I used to carry a pocket sized phone number book back when I was in middle school/high school. I actually came across it a couple of months ago when all of my possessions that I've managed to not lose or get stolen in the last 20 years or so was brought up from texas.

I thumbed through it and my first response was

"Damn . . . I knew A LOT of girls back then . . ."

Maybe thats why the book was black . . .

19. freebird

I do remember having to actually dial a phone. When we first moved to our present location we just had to dial the last 4 numbers of the phone number to reach someone in our town.....and that was only 33 years ago.

20. DerMann

DerMann Practically Family

Bravo!

I'm going to try and find the alarm sound from MGS and use it as my text message notification.