Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I know an American guy who was in East Germany in the '80s. He swears up and down that a certain bar there was selling (warm) fermented horse urine.

I'll pass on checking that up.

Sounds like the taste of warm beer. :p
I am a Martini and Scotch guy myself. :p
poindexterf.jpg

That and people drinking in the middle of the day and no one blinking an eye :p

That pretty much ended after Prohibition. When liquor became legal again, people didn't drink as much as they had originally. They hit the bottle at least three times or more a day before that. Drinking alcohol in the morning is just beyond me but they used to do it as a pick me up kind of thing.:eeek:[huh]

We have a short time of the year when we start drinking at sun-up in my family, it's called Hunting Season.

That pretty much ended after Prohibition. When liquor became legal again, people didn't drink as much as they had originally. They hit the bottle at least three times or more a day before that. Drinking alcohol in the morning is just beyond me but they used to do it as a pick me up kind of thing.:eeek:[huh]

I also am not a fan of European beers. I like my Ice Cold Milwaukee Natives. How mid-western of me, eh?

It's not that British, or European beer is 'warm.' It's just not ice cold. Some British pubs I've been in, at least in the Manchester area, store their beer in kegs that are sometimes kept at ground level, or even below ground level. This keeps the beer cool, but not cold, and it certainly isn't warm as if it was heated. Those Boddington Bitters were amongst the best beers I've ever had, served up in their natural environment.

Cellar temps in Europe and GB were cooler than than most US cellar temps.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
My beer is stored in the old earth cellar on the farm (where people kept things cool in the old days). If it is built correctly like mine seems to be, it keeps 6 - 7 celcius the year round. Perfect temperature for storing beer if you ask me ;)

1409317537_large.jpg

This is what an earth cellar looks like on a big farm, mine is not as big or as new or as good looking as this one, but it's on the list of things to give a facelift.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Travel Agency that has been in my town for as long as I have, finally shut it's doors yesterday. I would always think to myself "with the internet, who would ever need a travel agent anymore?".
I guess I just got my answer.

dnjan

One Too Many
My beer is stored in the old earth cellar on the farm (where people kept things cool in the old days). If it is built correctly like mine seems to be, it keeps 6 - 7 celcius the year round. Perfect temperature for storing beer if you ask me ;)

1409317537_large.jpg

This is what an earth cellar looks like on a big farm, mine is not as big or as new or as good looking as this one, but it's on the list of things to give a facelift.
I have a freind in the Weimar, Germany area who built a house on some old farm property. The only one of the original buildings that was really salvageable was the cellar - somewhat like yours, above, but a bit smaller. I have enjoyed many beers there, taken directly out of the cellar.

rue

For the moment there's a total mess here as I've just bought an old storehouse that is being rebuildt here and both the barn and the stables are being restored. But when the place looks it's best again I will give you the grand tour.

I'm holding you to it! :D

The Travel Agency that has been in my town for as long as I have, finally shut it's doors yesterday. I would always think to myself "with the internet, who would ever need a travel agent anymore?".
I guess I just got my answer.

I was just thinking that yesterday as I drove by one a few blocks from me. I wonder how long it will hold out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran