Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Now that might present you with a rather difficult problem. You may find, be it public transport or just a public place, like a library, someone, maybe someone much older, sees your beautiful, over the top, walking support cane, and generously offers you their seat.

What are you going to do? Act dumb and take the seat? Reassure the kind stranger that you don't really need this walking stick, it's just a prop?
Oh dear, what a dilemma. It's a bit like being caught taking the weight off your feet by sitting in a vacant wheelchair....and getting caught.

Someone offering a seat on a bus....in Chicago ???

TAutry

New in Town
I remember reading Carlos Castaneda's Journey to Ixtlan when I was a teenager, and in it don Juan says you should never carry anything in your hands while walking, as you can never be fully conscious of your surroundings while holding on to something. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's always stuck with me.

I've never read that nor heard of it, but I'd much rather have a good stout stick sometimes than be whatever is meant by "fully conscious of my surroundings". The ability to stop and prop up on the stick while looking at the surroundings is quite a pleasure. The stress that a good stick takes off my back and legs while walking is also worth a great deal. I'm no stick fighter, but having a lengthy piece of wood to dissuade an overly aggressive dog or other critter is another handy feature.

Perhaps I need to find the book and read it, but I'll personally have to disagree with the quote and keep a stick at hand and in hand.

I've never read that nor heard of it, but I'd much rather have a good stout stick sometimes than be whatever is meant by "fully conscious of my surroundings". The ability to stop and prop up on the stick while looking at the surroundings is quite a pleasure. The stress that a good stick takes off my back and legs while walking is also worth a great deal. I'm no stick fighter, but having a lengthy piece of wood to dissuade an overly aggressive dog or other critter is another handy feature.

Perhaps I need to find the book and read it, but I'll personally have to disagree with the quote and keep a stick at hand and in hand.

Oh I completely understand the value of having a sturdy piece of wood with you when you need it. Just a personal anectdote about walking sticks that stuck in my head years ago, and like a lot of other useless bits of information, it's just... still there.

And on a side note... if you decide to tackle Castaneda, I have to warn you...it's a long, strange trip into metaphysics, ritualistic shamanism, psychotrophic plant use and just plain weirdness. Journey to Ixtlan is the third book in his trilogy about his "sorcerer apprenticeship".

...Seriously, though, I may need to look for another stick for dress up occasions. The knob head of the blackthorn isn't perfect for my hand. Something I can grasp better might be in order.
I'd like to own a "traditional" Blackthorn walking stick, but I need something more supportive than the "knob" type handle commonly associated with them so I think one of these might be finding it's way to my house soon. :D
*cough*HINT*cough* :D

By the way, mine should arrive on Wednesday.

Huertecilla

Banned
Sorry to read about the blackthorn.
A knob is as Alexander mentioned not a stable choice for resal support, better suited for light balance. Also, for ANY balancing support a rubber tip is essential.

The Don Juan is an amusing sevillian character created by Tirso de Molina.
Living in the south of Spain I can guarantee that the charming, womanising galant gentleman certainly is NOT an andalucian thing!
Also the observations as well as the 'sinnfull' adventures must be read in the context of the 17th C. which had quite hazardous aspects on the streets for any gentleman and lots more for a mischieveous one, with the story set in the 15th C. which was worse still.
Be aware that he would have carried a sword/rapier as essential side arm. In the story he indeed kills Don Gonzalo with his sword. A stick woul indeed have often seen him on the wrong foot and with a cane in his sword hand.
Today we sheeple are forbidden such right by the lions.
As such, on the cover of a modern spanish work on Don Juan he is illustrated in a more recent context with cane, without sword
234x233don_juan.jpg

Today an elegant sword cane would be an ideal tool of his trade but boy do the lions object to THAT!

As to the seat, I would graceously accept it and make the polite person feel good. Remember that we get what we reward!!
In modern yet not so civilised society we are in desperate NEED of more good manners and politeness, so it is AN ABSOLUTE MUST to rewards it when we experience it.

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
About sword, sword canes, walking sticks and self defense.

From the Victorian gentleman's self defense kit:

'The sword-stick is an instrument I thoroughly detest and abominate, and could not possibly advocate the use of in any circumstances whatever.

These wretched apologies for swords are to outward appearance ordinary straight canes–usually of Malacca cane. On pulling the handle of one of these weapons, however, a nasty piece of steel is revealed, and then you draw forth a blade something between a fencing-foil and a skewer.

They are poor things as regards length and strength, and “not in it” with a good solid stick. In the hands of a hasty, hot-tempered individual they may lead to the shedding of blood over some trivial, senseless squabble. The hollowing out of the cane, to make the scabbard, renders them almost useless for hitting purposes.

One does not want to kill but to disable, even those who have taken the mean advantage of trying to catch one unprepared in the highways and byways. To take an ordinary common-sense view of the matter: it is surely better far to have a three to one chance in favour of disabling than an even chance of killing a fellow-creature? The disablement is all you want, and, having secured that, the best thing is to get out of the way as soon as possible, so as to avoid further complications.

I can almost hear people say, ‘Oh, this is all rubbish; I’m not going to be attacked; life would not be worth living if one had to be always ‘on guard’ in this way.’ Well, considering that this world, from the time we are born to the time we die, is made up of uncertainties, and that we are never really secure from attack at any moment of our lives, it does seem worth while to devote a little attention to the pursuit of a science, which is not only healthful and most fascinating, but which may, in a second of time, enable you to turn a defeat into a victory, and save yourself from being mauled and possibly killed in a fight which was none of your own making. Added to all this, science gives a consciousness of power and ability to assist the weak and defenceless, which ought to be most welcome to the mind of any man. Though always anxious to avoid anything like ‘a row,’ there are times when it may be necessary to interfere for the sake of humanity, and how much more easy is it to make that interference dignified and effective if you take your stand with a certainty that you can, if pushed to extreme measures, make matters very warm indeed for the aggressor? The consciousness of power gives you your real authority, and with it you are far more likely to be calm and to gain your point than you would be without the knowledge. Backed up by science, you can both talk and act in a way which is likely to lead to a peaceful solution of a difficulty, whereas, if the science is absent, you dare not, from very uncertainty, use those very words which you know ought to be used on the occasion.'

walkingcane01-assailantdecember1903.jpg

The walking stick self defense home page:
http://lacannevigny.wordpress.com/pierre-vigny/the-defeat-of-the-hooligan/

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
My appologies for jumping to the original Old World character, who is very much alive here as is Don Quijote as persiflage of Amadis de Gaula*. All being cénturies deep part of the daily world here.

I will read up on the New World one!

* a landmark among knight-errantry tales/romances, and fundamental for even today´s views on chivalrous behaviour, on hatiquette. It developed into an unparalelled multinational sequell running over in operas. It starts at the end ogf the 13th Century and has follow up untill in the 20th!!
Imo obligatory reading for the well mannered gentleman.

Last edited:
Hi Folks

Could some one recommend a good site for vintage walking sticks? I would like to add one to my wardrobe, also probably will be in need of one soon for walking support...
TIA
Regards
CCJ

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I totaled my car a month ago, and was lucky to come out in one piece. Busted both my knees into the dashboard as the airbag didn't work and the right one is still pretty sore. Actually using a light cane for a little support, so it is interesting to re-read this thread.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I read somewhere that a good walking-stick reaches to just below your hip-level. The arm holding the came should be comfortable, and have a SLIGHT bent. If it's a full, 90' bend, then it's too high. If you're slouching or uncomfortable when using the stick, it's too short.

So, hip-level, or slightly lower.

I read somewhere that a good walking-stick reaches to just below your hip-level. The arm holding the came should be comfortable, and have a SLIGHT bent. If it's a full, 90' bend, then it's too high. If you're slouching or uncomfortable when using the stick, it's too short.

So, hip-level, or slightly lower.

Thank you kind Sir. Also I just posted on 221b Baker Street.
Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21