Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I keep a cane, like the one below, in my car just in case .;)

It's much more refined than a baseball bat.

AU-WS002.jpg

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
I keep a cane, like the one below, in my car just in case .;)

It's much more refined than a baseball bat.

lol

yes, i think it's time i graduated from "hoodlum", and menaced people in a dignified manner. that cane seems to be in three parts...is it strong enough to use for actual support in walking, sir, or is it better left to flash bludgeoning?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a shot of my Dad's old shillelagh that I've had since '66. I have a photo of him with it from 1925! I shot this today with my new Nikon D80 digital - a Christmas present from my girl!

All of the things in this little display were my Dad's over the years. How 'bout those shades - genuine Italian, they are! His pocket watch and his Kodak and his hip flask from the days when hooch was all a man could get!

DadsHat2.jpg

-dixon cannon

Feraud

Bartender
Dixon - That is a wonderful collection of mementos you have from your dad! :eusa_clap
The dislpay looks very classy.
I have always wanted a fancy walking stick but do not have occassion to use one.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
melankomas said:
that is an interesting cane! of what is it made, sir? now i almost have to replace the old metallic cane...
It's made from a hickory sapling. The handle is the brass handle from a fire poker, quite substantial (even dangerous) and attached well. Seller who goes by "Battleground Sticks" or "stickwithcharacter" sells ones like it, with a variety of handles/tops. I've always been amazed at how perfectly the hickory works, very sturdy and reliable, resilient and also somewhat giving and pliant. The heavy handle balances it, and I use it with a variety of grips depending on circumstances. It takes all my weight, with lever/torque effects, and chuckles back at me.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Dixon ... the items from your father are outstanding. perhaps i've missed it somewhere, and i'll check the Old Photos thread later, but if you've not posted that 1925 image, is there any chance you will?

Hondo ... that cane is champion! is it very sturdy to sit on? it seems to hold a good amount of weight. i don't know how much i weigh, but i never could get beyond middleweight, so i expect now i must be lightweight. if i fall into the feathers i shall be sad, so i asked the doctor to stop telling me when i approached the bottom of welter. i'm wandering again, aren't i? well, thank you for the link...it's a lovely cane!

adam ... better and better. i intend to have a look at this seller (i assume you mean eBay, but please correct me if not) later today. thank you!

Will

One of the Regulars
I've accumulated a blackthorne for the country, an ash crook for city daywear and an ebony cane with ivory handle for evening, but only carry one if some part of my body is dysfunctional and I'm unable to walk unaided.

Dixon Cannon

melankomas said:
Dixon ... the items from your father are outstanding. perhaps i've missed it somewhere, and i'll check the Old Photos thread later, but if you've not posted that 1925 image, is there any chance you will? thank you!

64809dc6.jpg

Just for you, my friend! Presenting - My Dad! c.1925....and that very same cane!

-dixon cannon

Naphtali

Practically Family
Many years ago, I had a slight disagreement with a CH-47. Broke my back twice -- once its idea, once my neurosurgeon's.

On those days when a third leg is nice -- well, I always appreciated Red Will Danaher's walking stick. It's comfortable to grasp, sturdy, and stylish.

You can do a search on Blackthorn Root walking sticks and find probably them for less than $50.00.

Blackthorn_root_stout_stick.jpg

Twitch

Melankomas- it sounds as though you NEED it at times and a stylish stick without a proper "handle" might not allow you to lay weight on it. A friend went on a cruise and found a beautiful one of multi-type and colored woods in Costa Rica. I think you should check out Ebay to see what is out there.[huh]

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Vintage canes and walking sticks

I am a disabled woman who has to use a cane. All I can find are metal ugly metal hospital canes. When wearing vintage, I am trying to be authentic as possible. I am sure that some younger women in the thirites, forties and fifties used canes and walking sticks out of necessity. I am trying to find something appropriate to the period. I am new to the vintage scene, any thoughts from the more experienced ladies would greatly appreciated.

Leah

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Hello, I love canes... This seems to be a good website for ladies vintage canes...

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Antique_Old_Fashion_Walking_Canes.html

Lovely Leah said:
I am a disabled woman who has to use a cane. All I can find are metal ugly metal hospital canes. When wearing vintage, I am trying to be authentic as possible. I am sure that some younger women in the thirites, forties and fifties used canes and walking sticks out of necessity. I am trying to find something appropriate to the period. I am new to the vintage scene, any thoughts from the more experienced ladies would greatly appreciated.

Leah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot